Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:06 pm

How Does It Compare With Emirates F Lounge?

Thank you Gabrca for posting the pictures and how exciting! Glad to finally know what it actually looks like inside, after waiting for so long :-)

I'm very curious how the lounge compares with Emirates First Class Lounge at DXB. Food menu seems to have more variety at EK Lounge, but it doesn't offer any private room like QR does. I'm debating myself whether to try EK or QR F Lounge in coming days (and more inclined to be choosing on basis of meal quality!).

May be TK Business Lounge at IST still higher?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I would say "impressive" but that was way too easy to call

Edit: Lol I thought your post linked to a post predicting that aceboy quits QR for some reason, sorry

Last edited by mpkz; Oct 24, 2015 at 3:48 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
One of the reasons for the delay of Al-Safwa was the inclusion of a dedicated hand moisturising section accessible directly from the terminal, now all that work would be for nothing!
I do wonder a bit about someone picking a lounge based on spa treatments when he's not even allowed in to use moisturizer

(be sure to,check out his latest KU TR)
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by jubbing
Pics are great, what's your equipment and any editing?
Flickr shows what camera was used, just by clicking a photo, e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/137259...7660259569791/ and then scroll down

Thanks for all the trip reports so far, guys. Very informative and I look forward to trying it out next year.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I'm most dissappointed about the lack of unicorns, and no visible traces of fairy dust.

Now I'm off to see if I can twist one of my bookings to see if I can go unicorn spotting there, just in case the previous posters missed them.

Thanks for the pictures!

-A
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: LH Sen for life; QR Plat; FB Gold; Bonvoy Gold for life
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I think we have to remember that the Al Safwa is an airport lounge. Nothing more, nothing less.................
As members of FT, we are naturally more judgemental of an airline and its offering. Quite simply, we have an interest in the product, and thus we like to criticise. If people kept quiet, FT wouldn't be here! However, FTers are not the majority of flyers nor consumers. And, as such, we sometimes have to temper our opinions.

Looking at the photos already posted, I think the lounge looks very appealing. It offers freshly cooked food (so an improvement on the Al Mourjan), spaces to sleep properly (so an improvement on the Al Mourjan), and countless other areas which may be of benefit to travellers.

Should the walls and flooring be fully marbled? Should there be staff to pamper and preen you? Should the lounge be the best in the world? Well who knows. We can only judge the offering QR have provided, and as a regular (yes, not someone who travels once solely to take photos and winge about the food/drink/lounge etc) in QR F, I think it looks good.
Well said msm. The pictures look great. Far better, in my view than the EK F lounges. I will wait until my next trip in December to form a final judgment but I am now almost looking forward to my 8 hr layover. I'll even put up with the noisy unicorn, but I suspect it is probably going to be assigned as a "lounge unicorn" ( the F equivalent of "lounge dragon") at the bottom of the escalator.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:12 pm

I just arrived from CDG in QR F at 23:30 with a friend, we are connecting to KTM at 8:00 am in J and the lady who welcomed us at the arrival gate told us we were not entitled Al Safwa lounge access We did not check with the lounge agents because we are granted a free hotel room in Doha, but I must say we are really disappointed !
Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Katzz
I just arrived from CDG in QR F at 23:30 with a friend, we are connecting to KTM at 8:00 am in J and the lady who welcomed us at the arrival gate told us we were not entitled Al Safwa lounge access We did not check with the lounge agents because we are granted a free hotel room in Doha, but I must say we are really disappointed !
Sounds dissapointing, I hope that this was just a case of the staff not being fully aware of the rules yet. I have to say I find the idea that LHR or CDG to BKK might be the only two longhaul routes QR would offer access to the lounge both ways a bit stupid.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:06 pm

Katzz I am afraid that QR are correct. You are not qualified to access Al Safwa.
Your flight is 08.00 not 06.00.

The following link explains it. https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
"First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa)." Edited to show the clause in bold.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:24 pm

As one member of this forum has experienced there is a further restriction upon First and Business Class arrivals.
If your scheduled arrival is before 00.00 (Midnight) then your connection must depart before 06.00 the next day. Arrivals at or after midnight may remain in the lounge for a connection before 06.00 the next day. Thus they are effectively are 'not affected' by this rule.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:26 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Looking just at the pictures:

- the design is pretty amazing, but is this place welcoming, friendly & warm? Rather not...

I am flying with QR to MEL in 2 weeks - it would be interesting to see if Al-Safwa opening affected Al-Mourjan.

Last edited by TPJ; Oct 24, 2015 at 5:34 pm Reason: lounge name corrected
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Al-Safwa- The Quite Rooms with Beds and Showers looks like a great differentiator from other lounges (especially if you have a long lay over waiting for your next flight). I would like to know though what are the rules for those rooms.

1) How many rooms do they have?
2) If there are 10 rooms and 50 people that want to use them how does that work?
3) How long do you have the room for in hours? Especially if there are a whole lot of people in the lounge that want to use them
4) Hopefully the sheets and showers are cleaned after each use
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:48 pm

An update from the Al Safwa lounge : after a few hours of sleep in our hotel room in Doha, we came back to the airport and went to the Al Safwa lounge entrance, and we were allowed in without questions. Apparently three years was not enough for QR to train their staff and teach them the lounge access rules.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
Originally Posted by remdk
Katzz I am afraid that QR are correct. You are not qualified to access Al Safwa.
Your flight is 08.00 not 06.00.

The following link explains it. https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
"First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa)." Edited to show the clause in bold.
Wrong !! See post 203.
Al Safwa is not a Oneworld Lounge. QR make the rules for this lounge.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
http://chrisguillebeau.com/al-safwa-lounge/

Another review of the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.