Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

If you had 5 minutes with the incoming Qantas CEO, what would you say to him?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you had 5 minutes with the incoming Qantas CEO, what would you say to him?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:08 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by no place like home
Shame those affected didn't share your enthusiasm. But I guess people in shock are always tougher to win over.
Care to share just how they should have handled it differently? How would any other airline have handled it better?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, QF Silver
As I suggested people in shock are difficult to placate. It would also be very difficult to reassure people with the current level of media focus on safety.

I wouldn't envy the job of PR at Qantas given this environment.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:24 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I think a job in QF PR would be tops but then I always have loved a challenge.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by nonce
I would tell him to shutdown mainline and transfer everything to JQ just to annoy everyone on this board who likes to moan about how bad everything is. Then he can bring mainline back and everyone will appreciate it for not being JQ again.
Or just shut down JQ and transfer everything to mainline. That way I won't have to fly Virgin Blue on the routes QF currently doesn't.

Stop sponsoring everything that moves and use the money to maintain your planes.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:13 pm

MOST IMPORTANT - Restore public confidence in the airline's safety - It is hurting the Qantas brand and reputation

-----------

DOMESTIC
1) Differentiate the product more - right now, it is looking quite tired. Make J class actually worth the difference (on the 734, its like Virgin's Premium Economy product seat-wise!!!). Enhance the service in economy (too inconsistent...a 5.45pm flight gets a muffin, while a 6pm flight gets a hot dinner)
2) Virgin Blue seem to be in a financial mess - if you can, maybe try and kill them off (hey, isn't it any Business' dream to kill of their competition???)

INTERNATIONAL
1) A380 Business product - while the Skybed is a tried and tested product....it clearly lacks the glamour of the SQ and EK business class products. Maybe the Skybeds on the side of the aircraft could be "staggered" somehow, so each seat can remain as an aisle seat. Staggering the seats against the window may result in 2-4 seats being lost, but will mean a world of difference in term's of Qantas perception and customer experience. Also, the lounge looks cramped and seems like an extreme joke - might as well get rid of it
2)A380 First product - fix it....to me, looks like an enhanced version of the current BA product and doesn't look like a suite.
3) International Business Class Lounges - pale in comparison to CX in HKG, BA in LHR, JL in NRT now and from recent reports, even the new RJ lounge in AMM. It is essentially a glorified domestic Qantas Club....not good enough
4) Network expansion (might be difficult in current economic climate). Reliance on the UK and US will hurt Qantas in this economic downturn. It is time to expand to take advantage of growing markets such as Asia, Mid East etc

FINAL WORD - Qantas has for so long relied on being an Australian airline, and having an Australian customer base who supports this. The airline should be weary of new and increased competition (SQ 4 times a day to SYD, CX 4 times a day to SYD, EK may be 4 a day soon...). Although, the most important thing to maintain is a) profitability and b) safety. If these two factors are maintained, I guess there is no major causes for complaint (although fixing the above would be great!)
Old Oct 10, 2008, 12:24 am

Programs: CX Diamond, QF Silver
Actually the QF PR team might actually be the only people in Australia celebrating the sharemarket woes in recent weeks.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 1:10 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by no place like home
....crew and customer service. The handling of that WA 'incident' was nothing short of a disgrace.
My understanding is that pax were generally impressed with the way the crew handled the Exmouth indicident.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 1:52 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Bring back QF services to significant regional ports (one can dream)....
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
How will you improve recognition of your plat members - supposedly your top 1%? (my cynical view - I am Plat - we get treated poorly more often)
When will you balance CL priority with Plat members spending significant sums with you? (I understand the QF perception of CL and why they won't include someone like me spending "only" 50-100K a year with them). But how many times must I not get my preferred seat because of a "niece" of a CL flying for the first time who really doesn't mind where they sit?
and on and on...
Old Oct 10, 2008, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
MOST IMPORTANT - Restore public confidence in the airline's safety - It is hurting the Qantas brand and reputation
Agreed. Need a new strict safety culture and step change like in the mining or oil/gas industries.

Whilst we can see that safety standards go beyond compliance, that shouldn't mean rest on our laurels because we're still better than compliance. An incident is an incident. Optimal business practice says we should aim for continuous improvement (no matter how insidious it may seem).

Differentiate the product more - right now, it is looking quite tired. Make J class actually worth the difference (on the 734, its like Virgin's Premium Economy product seat-wise!!!). Enhance the service in economy (too inconsistent...a 5.45pm flight gets a muffin, while a 6pm flight gets a hot dinner)
DJ PE is a joke. If they had included food with the fare then perhaps they'll give QF a run for its money.

Though I agree - Dom J just seem not that much better to explain the disparity in pricing versus Y. Pretty bold statement for someone that doesn't fly J all that often.

I'd ask for slightly better Economy food (stop with the gloppy dinners that look like canned food), add a little more sweet to "full" meals rather than just a square inch of chocolate and replace the current rolls which are more rockcakes than bread rolls, but that's probably asking waaaaaaay too much.

Virgin Blue seem to be in a financial mess - if you can, maybe try and kill them off (hey, isn't it any Business' dream to kill of their competition???)
That would be illegal wouldn't it?

International Business Class Lounges - pale in comparison to CX in HKG, BA in LHR, JL in NRT now and from recent reports, even the new RJ lounge in AMM. It is essentially a glorified domestic Qantas Club....not good enough
Haven't been in any other oneworld airline lounges, but I agree with you about the QF Int J Lounges - in fact they are not glorified in any way - they are exactly like your run-of-the-mill QF Dom QCs. Why they call them "Business Lounges" is beyond me (probably to comply with common oneworld lounge terminology).

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Stop sponsoring everything that moves and use the money to maintain your planes.
Good point. Except who should get the "cut" first?

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Please can PE be kept as what its name suggests: Y+ and not J-? I really don't mind J- in itself, it's a very nice product; but I don't think I can really afford J- prices. If I had the choice between J- service and Y+ prices, I'd much prefer the latter. And I know I am not alone in this.
Here here. I can't see myself buying PE in cash any time soon.

Having said that - there's a lot here to be said - even literally - in five minutes!

My five minutes would be on safety and new equipment; perhaps get some WPs or CLs on board and get them to help design better interiors. (Do WPs have any sense of style? )
Old Oct 10, 2008, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
improve your PR and keep prices low and remove all the ridiculous surcharges and transaction fees such as change flight fees for sectors where competitors do not charge anything.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
1) Does my next QF flight come with a ejector seat / parachute.

2) fix up your NZ operations - For example QF25 last night was arriving from MEL at 0120hour compared to 1715hours when it is suppose to arrive.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
No 4 segment rule for status requalification
Old Oct 10, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Platinum A332
2) Virgin Blue seem to be in a financial mess - if you can, maybe try and kill them off (hey, isn't it any Business' dream to kill of their competition???)
Doubt it. In a duopoly you are best off keeping your competitor around. Helps keep the regulators at bay if it looks like there is competition.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:19 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Explain to me why, Qantas appears to lack the lobbying skills to get either the former Government or the New Government to revert, like every other Airline and Country in the WORLD to Metal Knives in Premium Cabins.

Nobody else except the Australian Government sees Metal Knives as a security issue anymore.

I cant think I'm the only person in the world who restricts my non Australian First Class flying with Qantas because of this unnecessary plastic policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.