Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

If you had 5 minutes with the incoming Qantas CEO, what would you say to him?

Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold

The new CEO, Alan Joyce, comes aboard Qantas from Jetstar by the end of the year, I believe.

If you had 5 minutes with him, what would you tell him?

My list would include:

1. Fix the recurring safety issues -- get to the bottom of it, regardless of whose fault it is, it is hurting the Qantas brand. This is priority #1, 2, and 3!

2. Improve on-time performance and reliability of the airline

3. Put in a better interior on the A380 and other long haul flights -- especially business and economy class! Semi-private full-flat seats are a must in business!

4. Ensure more consistent frontline and inflight service. When they are good, they are great. When they are bad, they are awful!

5. Improve the domestic product. It is just not differentiated enough from the competitors.

I think that about covers my list. What are you thoughts, everybody?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Give me CL membership.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:59 pm

I think he is cute
Needs a good spanking over my knee!!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:59 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Dump those amenity kit hard boxes and put side pockets in the pyjama pants.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I would tell him to shutdown mainline and transfer everything to JQ just to annoy everyone on this board who likes to moan about how bad everything is. Then he can bring mainline back and everyone will appreciate it for not being JQ again.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Please can PE be kept as what its name suggests: Y+ and not J-? I really don't mind J- in itself, it's a very nice product; but I don't think I can really afford J- prices. If I had the choice between J- service and Y+ prices, I'd much prefer the latter. And I know I am not alone in this.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:42 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, QF Silver
Improve the culture. The us and them mentality between inflexible boys-club senior management and inflexible unionism is now and always has held Qantas back. Qantas management think they run a private company and the unions think they run a public one.

Probably why the decision was made to bring in an outsider who clearly believes in engaging his people. A good decision. Dixon is smart and took advantage of market opportunities but he isn't exactly a people-person.

Aside from the obvious safety concerns, the next big elephant in the room (as mentioned earlier) is focusing on consistency. Whoever handles the crew area at the moment clears needs to be 're-directed'.

I reckon Alan Joyce has the smarts to see this clear as day. @:-)
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:46 pm

....crew and customer service. The handling of that WA 'incident' was nothing short of a disgrace.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by Sankaps
5. Improve the domestic product. It is just not differentiated enough from the competitors.
Changes are coming in 2009, and I mean big changes (for the good).

Expect to see a new domestic product - that's all I'm saying

Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:04 pm

Could it be hot towels on cityfliers????

I tremble in anticipation.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:09 pm

Or even more impressive. Adequately maintained aircraft with new improved reduced corporate spin.

I will stop now. Just entertaining myself. Qantas is yards ahead of what they must put up with in the states. Speaking of which we haven't had a US airline collapse of late (must be soon).
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:36 pm

Ask Mr Neil Perry to kindly fu... ahh that is thank him for all his help over the year, and make way for someone new to plan the food.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:46 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Originally Posted by Delightful Lady
I think he is cute
Needs a good spanking over my knee!!
LOL. And now I want to see shillard's comment....
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by no place like home
....crew and customer service. The handling of that WA 'incident' was nothing short of a disgrace.
I thought QF's compensation scheme to all pax (even the non-injured ones) plus their quick dispatch of replacement aircraft was great.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:56 pm

Shame those affected didn't share your enthusiasm. But I guess people in shock are always tougher to win over.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.