Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin challenges Qantas on US route

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I think you need to read up on Australian corporate history! Considering your Australian I am quite surprised you did not know.
Did I miss something and smileys dont mean what they used to?!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
Also I thought Vegemite are a Candian invention?
Nope. Vegemite is an Australian invention - 1922, Cyril P. Callister, Melbourne, product sold to US based Kraft in 1935.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Things I never thought I woudl see on the QF board... Maybe some people could peruse this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
Old Oct 11, 2006, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by simong
Things I never thought I woudl see on the QF board... Maybe some people could peruse this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
Considering the recent anti-QF and anti-Australian postings of late, it can be hard to determine the difference!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 3:09 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
When I was a tike

When I was a youngling one thing everyone knew about Qantas was that you received an orange juice before departure and also a "promotional" size vegemite sample. We also got sprayed coming in from Hawaii but that is another thing....
Old Oct 11, 2006, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
When I was a youngling one thing everyone knew about Qantas was that you received an orange juice before departure and also a "promotional" size vegemite sample. We also got sprayed coming in from Hawaii but that is another thing....
What happened to the spray? You use to get it on every inbound flight didn't you? I remember my dad told me when I was younger that it was so that we didn't smell bad when we landed. I actually believed that for longer than I probably should have
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:36 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by bensyd
What happened to the spray? You use to get it on every inbound flight didn't you? I remember my dad told me when I was younger that it was so that we didn't smell bad when we landed. I actually believed that for longer than I probably should have
According to Australian Quarantine laws, the airline have a choice of treating their international aircraft with a persistent insecticide on a regular basis or spraying the cabin on every flight. Qantas chooses to use the persistent treatment during regular maintenance cycles. Other airlines still spray, especially if they don't know exactly which aircraft will be operating a particular route as its cheaper than treating their entire fleet of potential aircraft with the persistent insecticide.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 1:36 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by NM
According to Australian Quarantine laws, the airline have a choice of treating their international aircraft with a persistent insecticide on a regular basis or spraying the cabin on every flight. Qantas chooses to use the persistent treatment during regular maintenance cycles. Other airlines still spray, especially if they don't know exactly which aircraft will be operating a particular route as its cheaper than treating their entire fleet of potential aircraft with the persistent insecticide.
I didn;t realise they could do the permanent treatment.... an excellent idea and beats those nasty sprays ^
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:18 am

Sarcasm has its place, but some posters over use it and others use is as an excuse to belittle others.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by millionmiler
Sarcasm has its place, but some posters over use it and others use is as an excuse to belittle others.
I wouldn't advise you to spend any time in Australia, NZ or the UK if you have an issue with this type of humour (or lack of understanding of it).
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
I didn;t realise they could do the permanent treatment.... an excellent idea and beats those nasty sprays ^
Not everyone agrees. The sprays are a known quantity, in terms of dose per spray - and you can do a little about it by not breathing while the spraying's going on.

The permanent treatment leaves insecticide on every surface and in every porous material on the aircraft. It's a bit like a fumigation. It's much more difficult, apparently, to work out what your exposure is to the chemicals used to do this, how much you pick up and how much you retain over time if you fly frequently.

And therefore nobody knows whether it's safer or more dangerous for the pax to be on an aircraft with the permanent treatment. But for an airline like QF, whose aircraft return to Oz all the time, it makes practical sense.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
CX must spray all their aircraft, or at least the long haul airbuses, as they never have the handheld spray.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sxc
CX must spray all their aircraft, or at least the long haul airbuses, as they never have the handheld spray.
Although flying into CMB CX do spray their aircraft. I guess they must use a different spray to the one for Oz. That was a 777 as well maybe they only spray the planes they know will be flying to Oz
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:54 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by bensyd
Although flying into CMB CX do spray their aircraft. I guess they must use a different spray to the one for Oz. That was a 777 as well maybe they only spray the planes they know will be flying to Oz
Or the Sri Lanka rules are different and require in-flight spraying?

CX also spray the cabin gling into KUL.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
I wouldn't advise you to spend any time in Australia, NZ or the UK if you have an issue with this type of humour (or lack of understanding of it).
I don't think millionmiler misunderstands sarcasm, nor myself for that matter so I don't think those extremes will be necessary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.