Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin challenges Qantas on US route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mikalee
Branson (or one of his companies that he is the beneficial owner of) owns 51% of VS and 25% of DJ (& its subsidury's). Apart from Branson, there is no ownership relationship between VS & DJ.

I think using your criteria that SQ is already a "round the world airline" given its ownership of 49% of VS.
And of course in the good old days you could fly around the world on QF metal. They probably still have the traffic rights.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:01 am

Any more news or rumors on this?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:23 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Virgin Blue has not yet come to a decision on which aircraft it's new International entity will fly. I'd expect we won't hear about anything until perhaps December or early-2007. I'd imagine they are more worried about securing vital rights (daily) at this current time.

Virgin Blue has an RFP with Boeing and Airbus for five 777-300ERs or A340-600s but may have to look at Asian destinations if US access is limited. That may alter the type of aircraft selected.
On the other hand, there is strong speculation DJ has signed off on an Embraer aircraft package for domestic ops.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by QF NB
Virgin Blue has not yet come to a decision on which aircraft it's new International entity will fly. I'd expect we won't hear about anything until perhaps December or early-2007. I'd imagine they are more worried about securing vital rights (daily) at this current time.

On the other hand, there is strong speculation DJ has signed off on an Embraer aircraft package for domestic ops.
With a few aircraft types in their fleet, they may actually start to look more like AN!
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
With a few aircraft types in their fleet, they may actually start to look more like AN!
Nah, AN's probelm is that they had several aircraft type to fulfil the same mission.

Why have 733's AND A320's? The capacity and mission is about the same, so why have both? You just have added costs with flight-deck crew and spares.

DJ won't have this problem, they will have 737-NG's with commonality regarding flight crew and equipment. They will also have LH equipment.

The only way it could have been easier is if they had selected A320/319/318/321 for the short-haul, and then gone for the A330/340 for long-haul, and then benefitted from the ability to (very) quickly transition from one airbus type to another.

I can't see how it can be difficlut for them though. They have a very standard short haul fleet.

Dave
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:11 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by QF NB
...On the other hand, there is strong speculation DJ has signed off on an Embraer aircraft package for domestic ops.
Didn't Embraer just announce that it is having slipping delivery dates due to problems with their supply chain delivering components? If DJ is choosing them, it suggests they are happy with later delivery dates. The EMB190 is a great aircraft, very similar to B717 from a pax standpoint (so a big improvement over the original regional jets) but using more modern technology.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:56 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
According to a report in the October edition of Australian Aviation, Virgin Blue has released an RFT for five long-haul aircraft being either Boeing 777-300ER or Airbus A340-600 types. The report mentions they be used for trans-Pacific and various Asis destinations.

Assuming they will be constrained by the max of 4 services per week for the first 12 months of operations to the USA, they will have some aircraft capacify to operate to Asian destinations at the same time.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta
Nah, AN's probelm is that they had several aircraft type to fulfil the same mission.
And the rest!

Remember Ansett used to own AWAS who were one of the largest leasors in the world. Shame they sold it back a couple of years before they went bust as perhaps the profits from that part of the business probably would have kept them afloat pre/post September 11.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 1:18 am
Suspended

And the rest!

Remember Ansett used to own AWAS who were one of the largest leasors in the world. Shame they sold it back a couple of years before they went bust as perhaps the profits from that part of the business probably would have kept them afloat pre/post September 11.
I didn't know AN used to own AWAS. I thought MSDW always owned it from the start?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
I didn't know AN used to own AWAS. I thought MSDW always owned it from the start?
How do you think it got it's name?

Ansett Worldwide Aviation Services

Last edited by Traveloguy; Oct 11, 2006 at 4:13 am Reason: add old name
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:17 am
Suspended

How do you think it got it's name?

I thought there is another company is the US call Ansett? ahhaahah
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:28 am

I thought there is another company is the US call Ansett? ahhaahah
No. AWAS was started by Ansett and it's then shareholders News Ltd and TNT (Remember when both those huge companies were Australian?) back in the mid-80s.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 4:53 am
Suspended

No. AWAS was started by Ansett and it's then shareholders News Ltd and TNT (Remember when both those huge companies were Australian?) back in the mid-80s.
Aren't they are US companies? I thought they just established "branches" in Australia.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 5:29 am

Aren't they are US companies? I thought they just established "branches" in Australia.
I think you need to read up on Australian corporate history! Considering your Australian I am quite surprised you did not know.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 6:46 am
Suspended

I think you need to read up on Australian corporate history! Considering your Australian I am quite surprised you did not know.
Firstly I never claimed I am Australian. Just because I live in SYD that does not mean I am Australian.

Also I thought Vegemite are a Candian invention?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.