Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin challenges Qantas on US route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
So any further word on what DJ, under whatever airline name they will fly, will do?
Has anyone trawlled through the aircraft manufacturers' site to see if a new order has been placed?
I wonder if they ever considered leasing the ANZ 747, it has the Virgin beds, P/E and excellent Y seats and supplement with a VS 747 to get the daily routing.
I think DJ do need to get the business customers to help the appeal of their domestic corporate offerings and for the margins. Hopefully this will force QF to redue some of their J prices....
I've already posted that there are orders for 787 from unidentified customers. But there are always lots of unidentified orders, or through leasing companies, so no real way to find out.

Why in the world would NZ lease a 747 to anybody when NZ is desperately short of planes???? They would only do this if offered huge money for the lease (and Virgin is famous for having business plans that are profitable from day 1). Look how slowly they have moved on past expansions and in setting up subs. Virgin has also leaked dozens of plans that never actually get implemented (the juicier the less frequently they have come true, in the past). Personally I think zero chance of this until after the Virgin America operation is profitable.

Of course with Branson having pledged that VS will be a non-profit airline, maybe he is looking for cheap leases of VS assets to other corporations that he owns; nah, he can't possibly be that cynical.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:59 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
number_6,

Word is Air New Zealand and Air India have struck a deal, allowing AI to lease one of NZ 744's ZK-SUH for a period of time. Also Air New Zealand has secured a contract (Singapore Gov't), for regular charters between Rockhampton (Queensland, Australia) and Singapore using the 747-400. The charter is spread over 2-3 months, with services commencing soon.

And IIRC, NZ were always going to park at least one of their 747s after the 777 commenced ops. on USA routes and HKG-LHR was inaugurated.

In short, NZ is not in desperate need of planes.

That aside, looking forward to Virgin Blue's expansion into Asia and the United States! Here's hoping they commence services from BNE first
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:18 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by QF NB
[
That aside, looking forward to Virgin Blue's expansion into Asia and the United States! Here's hoping they commence services from BNE first
Krect - that way we can book cheap fares on QF. Yeh right!

(stares wistfully into the sky, then back down into the HP ... which he can't find in the QP anymore...)
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:04 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Word is Air New Zealand and Air India have struck a deal, allowing AI to lease one of NZ 744's ZK-SUH for a period of time. Also Air New Zealand has secured a contract (Singapore Gov't), for regular charters between Rockhampton (Queensland, Australia) and Singapore using the 747-400. The charter is spread over 2-3 months, with services commencing soon.
Its a good thing they lengthened the ROK runway a few years back. The old 4900 feet pavement would have been a challenge for even an empty 744.

I am interested in the logistics for ground handling a 744 at ROK. And assuming its for transporting military personnel for exercises, they will still need to establish immigration, customs and quarantine facilities capable of handling a few hundred passengers at a time. We can only assume they are using a 744 because they need to transport lots of people rather than freight since the 8622ft long runway will incur a significant weight restriction.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by NM
Its a good thing they lengthened the ROK runway a few years back. The old 4900 feet pavement would have been a challenge for even an empty 744.
Yes, and all paid for by Singapore Airlines/Government - Gotta love that! I bet Qantas is also very happy that it can divert QF176 into ROK if need be (as happened earlier this year on a number of occasions).

Staff will be flown up from Brisbane to handle Quarantine/Immigration - much like has happened with the JAL charters into Alice Springs. I wouldn't be surprised, that in the ROK terminal upgrade/expansion they build a permanent AQIS/IMMI office.

I'd hate to see how much this will be costing Singapore

Oops going waaaay OT
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by NM
CO also used to fly to MEL via AKL (and somewhere else between IAH and AKL, but not sure where) with there DC10. In the mid 90s it was often the cheapest option for AKL-MEL flights.
CO had 5th/7th freedom rights AKL-MEL ??? That's interesting. Do they still??

I know you can buy CNS-GUM, but Guam is a territory of Uncle Sam so it is not 5th/7th freedom.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 5:27 pm

Rockhampton runway extension was paid for by the Commonwealth. I finalised the contract in 2000.

The border control personnel and equipment will come from Brissy at SQ expense and the airport's expense.

cheers
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:31 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by eamus
CO had 5th/7th freedom rights AKL-MEL ??? That's interesting. Do they still??
I'd expect so. Under trans-tasman open skies any airline with approval to fly to either Australia or NZ can fly to both and between them.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I'd expect so. Under trans-tasman open skies any airline with approval to fly to either Australia or NZ can fly to both and between them.
Are you sure? Remember that the Australian aviation market did not really open up until the mid 90s. From memory, CO left Australia in around 1994.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by NM
Of course they could also wet or damp lease a 744 from SQ
Not sure that would be a wise idea though...

IIRC, Singapore Airlines owns the aircraft frames and leases the PW4056 engines from P&W itself (further complicates matters when another airline is involved [such as Air Pac.])

One of the leased SQ 747-400s Air Pacific is utilising developed engine problems recently which resulted in a stint at SYD for maintenance (may still be there). PW4056 engines are rare in in this part of the world and supposedly they can't be 5th-podded on other aircraft and have to be carried as freight. Just some of the reasons why I'd steer clear of leasing an SQ 744

Back on topic and adding more goss to the rumour mill (this is nothing official, but is interesting reading). Some interesting talk from some of DJ's F/As. They have suggested that a sign-off (aircraft) is due by the end of next week - 777s apparently. They expect one or two American destinations at first, as well as destinations such as Bangkok, Singapore and Shanghai. Embraers are supposedly due by the end of the year. IMO, EMBs would be good as it would allow Virgin Blue to direct 737 capacity elsewhere (on trunk routes say) and fly more frequently to ports such as B@llina (FT considers real name as profanity - hence the "@"), Mackay, Hervey Bay, Townsville, Broome et al using the new aircraft.

Guess we'll find out rather soon ^
Old Sep 28, 2006, 2:57 pm

Embraers are supposedly due by the end of the year. IMO, EMBs would be good as it would allow Virgin Blue to direct 737 capacity elsewhere (on trunk routes say) and fly more frequently to ports such as B@llina (FT considers real name as profanity - hence the "@"), Mackay, Hervey Bay, Townsville, Broome et al using the new aircraft.
The E190 is just about my fave right now for pokey little flights, especially configured as B6 here in the USA has done. At 6'6" I can stand up straight in the plane, human legroom, and comfort. From the economics standpoint, still only 2 pilots and with only 100 pax that means 2 FAs. And it is counted as a regional jet for payscale purposes. Long may it fly.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eamus
The E190 is just about my fave right now for pokey little flights, especially configured as B6 here in the USA has done. At 6'6" I can stand up straight in the plane, human legroom, and comfort. From the economics standpoint, still only 2 pilots and with only 100 pax that means 2 FAs. And it is counted as a regional jet for payscale purposes. Long may it fly.
Everyone seems to rave about the E190s. Looking forward to actually getting on board one day. Got very close at Farnborough in July, but they ended up closing the cabin to visitors.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 6:44 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
So any further word on what DJ, under whatever airline name they will fly, will do?
Has anyone trawlled through the aircraft manufacturers' site to see if a new order has been placed?
I wonder if they ever considered leasing the ANZ 747, it has the Virgin beds, P/E and excellent Y seats and supplement with a VS 747 to get the daily routing.
I think DJ do need to get the business customers to help the appeal of their domestic corporate offerings and for the margins. Hopefully this will force QF to redue some of their J prices....
As others have menioned by now that Air NZ 744 has gone to Air India and Virgin would want more than 1 plane !

As i think I mentioned earlier in this thread either the 777 or the A340-600 would be a safe bet for Virgin. They would need around 6 planes as a minimum.

I wish they would hurry up and announced routes/fares so I can make a earlybird booking and have an excuse for another holiday
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps

Virgin will in essence be a true round the world airline if this comes off as Virgin Atlantic fly LHR-HKG-SYD
Branson (or one of his companies that he is the beneficial owner of) owns 51% of VS and 25% of DJ (& its subsidury's). Apart from Branson, there is no ownership relationship between VS & DJ.

I think using your criteria that SQ is already a "round the world airline" given its ownership of 49% of VS.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 9:22 am

Programs: QF WP; VA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
So no restriction in Oz like the one in the US to the effect that a US airline may only offer services on N- registered aircraft?
Not at least for domestic as QF used a wet leased BA 747 (or 2) during the post Ansett & 9/11 days. I think it did a few good months service.

Might be different regulations for Australian operators flying internationally though and no doubt there would be ministerial discretion to allow it. Have QF ever wet leased a foreign aircraft to operate scheduled passenger services internationally? I am certain they would have at some time or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.