Wiki Posts
Search

SC Run help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2006, 9:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NM
If already needing to travel, I will consider routing a trip to earn some extra benefits. But I would not pay for an extra trip just for the extra points or status. But that's my personal view and obviously different to lots of other peolpe .
Then again your travel seems to be sufficient to fairly easily requalify.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:36 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Then again your travel seems to be sufficient to fairly easily requalify.
Not really. One trip in 12 months ... and that was credited to AA to qualify and renew AA Plat status. QF Plat good for another 13 months though.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Issues issues and more wonderful issues.

The family member I wanted to set this all up for is in the midst of their status run, and their first flight HNL-LAX has posted points, but only at full economy rate. The ticket and Itinerary has the class listed as A. Has anyone else had this problem? And is it likely that a call to QF will sort it out? Or will it be six months of endless arguing to be told in the end to sod off?

Thanks all!
Old Oct 23, 2006, 5:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by abcedaria
Issues issues and more wonderful issues.

The family member I wanted to set this all up for is in the midst of their status run, and their first flight HNL-LAX has posted points, but only at full economy rate. The ticket and Itinerary has the class listed as A. Has anyone else had this problem? And is it likely that a call to QF will sort it out? Or will it be six months of endless arguing to be told in the end to sod off?

Thanks all!
That is the correct crediting, YUP/KUP fare is a full economy fare. The upgrade to F is complementary but not guaranteed. I did warn many months ago that QF was fixing their software bug which caused YUP to credit as F (erroneously). I doubt you will get much success in arguing that an economy fare should get F status credits because QF used to do that in the past, and it is unfair that others should get the points in the past and now they have fixed it to be correct and you don't. But I suppose you could try arguing that you thought it was an F fare (unfortunately QF will see Y as the fare basis, and AA will confirm that if QF contacts them, also the receipt for the ticket will also show the fare basis as a Y or K fare, and not F -- so basically there is no documentation to prove your case, it all indicates full economy. This has always been the risk with the YUP/KUP fares, it was a sweet deal while it lasted (and apparently BA has not fixed this bug yet, so they do credit as F to BAEC).

AA has an unfortunate triple use of "A" as a booking code. The primary usage (99%) is as an upgrade class (and that is why they show A), so that A is not mileage earning (the underlying fare code is). AA also uses it for Oneworld products, such as OWE tickets (which also have A as the farecode). And finally AA sells some deep-discount F as A (but that has F as the fare code). So A by itself is meaningless, the underlying fare code must be considered.

Last edited by number_6; Oct 23, 2006 at 6:00 pm
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If it is a change, rather than a one-off bug, then it is a very recent change. My YUP earlier this month posted to QFF as first.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by number_6
That is the correct crediting, YUP/KUP fare is a full economy fare. The upgrade to F is complementary but not guaranteed. I did warn many months ago that QF was fixing their software bug which caused YUP to credit as F (erroneously).
Sorry to disagree number_6 but the terms and conditions of the QF programme state:

Eligible Booking Class (then list AFP as First Class for American)

YUPs and KUPs book automatically into A class at the time of booking. The eligible booking class for these tickets is A class, and Y class only if the pax decides to standby for another flight where A class is not available.

The Qantas FF programme does not credit flights on the fare basis unless you get an op up. Otherwise, if you have a RTW booked in J/D, which allows all US travel in A (First Class), you would only get credited with J/D credits/mileage. You don't. The ticket is issued as a DONEx (or whatever), but domestic travel books into A at time of booking if available, and that's the credits you get.

Conversely, if you book an AONEx, intra-European travel is in C/D class, but you don't get First Class credits, only those for business.

Again, I disagree that the upgrade to First on the YUPs/KUPs is complimentary and not guaranteed. You cannot, as far as I am aware, book a YUP or KUP into any other class but A when you make the reservation. It has to book directly into that class. Booking Y class can only be done later, eg if you change your schedule and elect to standby for an earlier/later flight.

To the post immeditaely before this one - would be interesting to note if the flight HNL-LAX was changed? Did they fly in First?

Me thinks QF would have to change their terms and conditions if they were going to change the earning from eligible booking class to fare basis.

Happy to discuss though.

With regards

LME FF

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Oct 24, 2006 at 6:29 am
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
=
The Qantas FF programme does not credit flights on the fare basis unless you get an op up. Otherwise, if you have a RTW booked in J/D, which allows all US travel in A (First Class), you would only get credited with J/D credits/mileage. You don't. The ticket is issued as a DONEx (or whatever), but domestic travel books into A at time of booking if available, and that's the credits you get.
If QF is classing them as an economy fare with an upgrade to 1st class ( which is nor an unreasonable assertion given it being an economy fare basis ) then the terms and conditions explicitly cover it

It also fits in with AAs description of the fares as being "First for Coach" ( see http://www.aa.com/content/agency/New...aug_2006.jhtml )

I am no more surprised that this change could take place than #6 especially given how eVIP and mileage upgrade SC earning has been "fixed" so as to only accrue at the fare paid rate, though more examples would be needed to see whether this is just a oneoff glitch or whether it is a fix to the SC giveaway by QF

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 24, 2006 at 6:17 am
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If QF is classing them as an economy fare with an upgrade to 1st class ( which is nor an unreasonable assertion given it being an economy fare ) then the terms and conditions explicitly cover it

Dave
Dave - how so? The eligible booking class for a YUP/KUP is A. As you posted I was editing my post so you may not have seen it - you cannot book a YUP/KUP into Y class at the time of the original booking. I can only go into A.

A = First Class under the QFFF.

Qantas does not credit by way of fare basis as per their terms and conditions.

Just edited to add - the link you provided Dave clearly states:
In summary, this is a fare basis code revision only. The same booking class (my bolding) codes used previously for the YUPP / YUP
fare types will continue to apply.

Regards

LME FF
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:28 am

Dave - how so? The eligible booking class for a YUP/KUP is A. As you posted I was editing my post so you may not have seen it - you cannot book a YUP/KUP into Y class at the time of the original booking. I can only go into A.

A = First Class under the QFFF.

Qantas does not credit by way of fare basis as per their terms and conditions.

Just edited to add - the link you provided Dave clearly states:
In summary, this is a fare basis code revision only. The same booking class (my bolding) codes used previously for the YUPP / YUP
fare types will continue to apply.

Regards

LME FF
The booking class for a mileage upgrade is booked into A class and, under your interpretation , would be eligable for F miles and SCs which they no longer accrue

In the T&Cs (19.1.2) it refers to FARE CLASS when referring to SC earning and the only document that I have found using that term from IATA describes the FARE CLASS as being the 1st character of the fare basis, which again would support the earning being as for K/Y

If QF are classing them as a Y or K fare with an upgrade to A in the same way as a mileage or eVIP upgrade ( which I would say is a reasonable assertion given (a) the booking class to fare basis relationship and (b) AAs description of the fares as being "1st for Coach" fares ) , then crediting as economy is already catered for in the T&Cs. There is reasonable justification for this imo however annoying it might be for those hunting cheap status.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 24, 2006 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regardless of bolding... if QF are classing them as a Y or K fare with an upgrade to A in the same way as a mileage or eVIP upgrade , then crediting as economy is already catered for in the T&Cs. There is reasonable justification for this imo however annoying it might be for those hunting cheap status.

Dave
Perhaps we are agreeing here? Regardless of how Qantas classifies them (as a Y or K fare), it doesn't matter, because the eligible booking class is A. The eligible booking class is all that matters (that is where the 'UP' bit comes in and differentiates it from a normal Y or K class fare).

As you correctly point out, if you use an upgrade, the original ticket is only eligible, at the time of booking, to be booked in economy class (Y, B, H, K etc etc). You are then using the upgrade certificate to get another, higher class. However, that higher class was not the eligible booking class at the time of ticket purchase.

Regards

LME FF
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:40 am

Perhaps we are agreeing here? Regardless of how Qantas classifies them (as a Y or K fare), it doesn't matter, because the eligible booking class is A. The eligible booking class is all that matters (that is where the 'UP' bit comes in and differentiates it from a normal Y or K class fare).

As you correctly point out, if you use an upgrade, the original ticket is only eligible, at the time of booking, to be booked in economy class (Y, B, H, K etc etc). You are then using the upgrade certificate to get another, higher class. However, that higher class was not the eligible booking class at the time of ticket purchase.

Regards

LME FF
No. Not true. If I upgrade an AA flight before purchase, then the booking class will be A at time of purchase.

As I said, the T&Cs do not mention booking class , they refer to Fare Class . In IATA documents I have seen, it has defined Fare Class to be the 1st character of the Fare Basis. The words booking class are not used in the Terms and Conditions

The FARE CLASS would therefore be Y for YUP and K for KUP

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 24, 2006 at 6:50 am
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I said, the T&Cs do not mention booking class , they refer to Fare Class
Dave
If you have a look at the table at the very end of the Qantas FF T&Cs (under 'about the programme -> terms and conditions) it talks of 'eligible booking class' and 'fare class'. This is where my whole discussion has been based, as the YUP has the eligible booking class of A. Likewise, a DONEx fare has fare basis of D, but it is eligible to book into A and you get A class credits.

LME FF
Old Oct 24, 2006, 6:56 am

If you have a look at the table at the very end of the Qantas FF T&Cs (under 'about the programme -> terms and conditions) it talks of 'eligible booking class' and 'fare class'. This is where my whole discussion has been based, as the YUP has the eligible booking class of A. Likewise, a DONEx fare has fare basis of D, but it is eligible to book into A and you get A class credits.

LME FF
The relevent term for SC earning in the Terms and Conditions is clause 19.1.2

Code:
19.1.2 Status Credits are earned for paid travel on certain regular scheduled
flights of Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airlines, Air Pacific, Jetstar Airways and
QantasLink, or other airlines as determined by Qantas. The number of Status
Credits earned varies depending on the fare class shown on the ticket used
for travel.
As you can see, it uses the term Fare Class and not booking class

The relevent term for mileage earning is Clause 9.5.1

Code:
9.5.1 A Cabin Class Bonus may apply for travel in Business or First class, or in
the case of British Airways in World Traveller Plus. Any applicable Cabin Class
Bonus will be credited according to the fare paid, not the cabin flown. Cabin
Class Bonuses will not be credited for unpaid travel in, or unpaid upgrades to
a higher class. Members should check the Airline Earning Table for details.
The fare paid will be KUP or YUP and so is an economy fare and eligable to earn at K or Y fare. Based on this term I have successfully managed to get F miles when having ended up on a 2 class plane and relegated to J after contacting QFF

Hopefully, if this is how they will accrue YUP and KUP fares rather than a one off, that they won't next turn their attention to the last QFF earning on AA bonus of DONEx fares

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 24, 2006 at 7:03 am
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The relevent term for SC earning in the Terms and Conditions is clause 19.1.2

Code:
19.1.2 Status Credits are earned for paid travel on certain regular scheduled
flights of Qantas, oneworld Alliance Airlines, Air Pacific, Jetstar Airways and
QantasLink, or other airlines as determined by Qantas. The number of Status
Credits earned varies depending on the fare class shown on the ticket used
for travel.

Dave
Well then I'm confused because either way there is a problem. Would an AONEx, with intra-European travel in C/D class be credited with First Class SCs? As the fare class for the ticket is A?

If however, you read it by the fare class per each coupon of the ticket (if you think of old paper tickets there was a small box saying 'Class') - then on intra-european tickets that your read C/D and the coupon would only attract biz class SCs.

But then again, if you book a YUP, the 'class' box on the coupon reads A.

LME FF
Old Oct 24, 2006, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Well then I'm confused because either way there is a problem. Would an AONEx, with intra-European travel in C/D class be credited with First Class SCs? As the fare class for the ticket is A?

If however, you read it by the fare class per each coupon of the ticket (if you think of old paper tickets there was a small box saying 'Class') - then on intra-european tickets that your read C/D and the coupon would only attract biz class SCs.

But then again, if you book a YUP, the 'class' box on the coupon reads A.

LME FF
I'm going to agree with you LME FF.

At the end of the day, the fare basis provides the rules of which describe what fare class a ticket is booked into. For example on AONEx fares, they go into A where available and D where not and give A or D credits where appropriate. The same goes for KUP/YUP etc fares where the fare basis rules (dispite the misleading name) state they book into A thus providing A status credits.

It has been reported on this forum in numerous threads that sometimes these miscredit on QF. A simple e-mail with copy of e-ticket and boarding passes should allow QF to manually correct how it is credited to one's membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.