Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Verification that AA's new YUPPs that book in P accrue F SCs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2005, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT

Hello,

AA has changed their YUPs for domestic US flights so that the cheap YUPs are noe YUPPs that book into P. I know that the QF SC chart says that P on AA earns F class SCs but just wanted verification from anyone who has already flown on one of these YUPP fares that booked into P that indeed one still earns F SCs on them.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
Welcome to last month.

P = F SC @ QF
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:31 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
If you did a search using YUP as your search information and Qantas as the Forum searched, then you'll come up with 11 threads in the past 3 months.

Perhaps this thread would be the best one.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:01 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by TWAforever
AA has changed their YUPs for domestic US flights so that the cheap YUPs are noe YUPPs that book into P.
And this is not exactly the story anyway, according to the official AA info on the subject :-

American's "First For Coach" Fares

September 29, 2005

Effective September 29, 2005, AA will offer two types of "First for Coach" (YUP) fares. YUP fare types are booked in A and YUPP fare types are booked in P.

(Or were you saying that the cheaper fares of this YUP fare family are now YUPP/P and not YUP/A [which the more expensive ones still are] ?)

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; Oct 19, 2005 at 7:14 am
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
I was saying that the cheaper YUPs book in P. I understand that some still book in A.

Also, in the linked threads to which I was referenced to search my question was not answered. In theory, it should count since the QF website says AFP earn F SCs (I understand that part), but I was asking for verification by someone who has already flown on these YUPP P fares and they received F SCs. In truth, the YUPs getting F Scs has been a great benefit to US-based flyers. I just wanted to make sure that when implementing these YUPPs AA didn't close the loophole on earning F SCs for them.

As always FT is as hospitable as ever in referencing the search feature (I'm not a new member as you can see) for every single question asked.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 11:10 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Well, the link I just posted from AA website says that they are booked in 'A' and 'P', and the (recently updated) QF T&Cs clearly state that A and P earn as First - so I think, personally, that it is now clearer than ever that the YUP fares are F fares if you are flying as a QF FF.

Have not travelled on one for a while so can offer no more than that, but the T&Cs do seem to be clearly stating that these are viewed by QF as F fares for miles and SCs.

But someone will now probably tell you the exact opposite... !
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it credits automagically I expect it would post as 1st class. If you have to claim the points retrospectively, I would not be surprised if Y credit was received. The ticket is sold as a Y fare basis but books into an A or P booking class

Dave
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Not sure how much light this adds to anything, but the QF terms and conditions are based on eligible booking class, which for AA clearly state F, A and P will be awarded as First Class.

If you go to AA.com and select a first class fare (with restrictions), it gives you the YUPP, but it books into First. So the eligible booking class is A or P. You only travel in Y if A or P is not available. There seem to be some domestic flights where all you get is either 'full' First, or the option of YUPPs (for discount), I'm not sure how you could go about booking a discount First class fare other than by a YUPP.

Given that the YUPP is still double or tripple the discounted Y class fare, I don't see YUPPs as far as earning F class status as a 'loophole' or otherwise.

BTW - just having thought a bit more about this... awarding points / status credits on eligible booking class rather than fare basis works both ways for QF and other O/W programmes. For example, you book a AONE3/4/5 - but in Australia, or Europe where there is no First you fly Biz class - only getting Biz class points. If points were awarded on fare basis, then you would be given F class points as the ticket as a whole is in A class. Works the other way of course for DONEs, as you get to fly F!

Regards

WG

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Oct 20, 2005 at 4:33 am
Old Oct 20, 2005, 5:11 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If points were awarded on fare basis, then you would be given F class points as the ticket as a whole is in A class. Works the other way of course for DONEs, as you get to fly F!
But as everyone knows, that is only because the front seats in the LOTFAP are called FIRST when the rest of the civilised world only calls that level of service the equivalent of BUSINESS (or the like). QF giving FIRST SCs on AA flights (booked as DONEx) is compensation for what you put up with.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by og
QF giving FIRST SCs on AA flights (booked as DONEx) is compensation for what you put up with.

I actually like domestic US First (on any airline) - kinda quaint.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 8:04 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by og
.. QF giving FIRST SCs on AA flights (booked as DONEx) is compensation for what you put up with.
Further to my previous comment - I should have narrowed the remark down to the FIRST on the AA 757s and specifically to the seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.