Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QANTAS new rule changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:55 pm

Programs: qf wp
Originally Posted by StevePER
This is complete rubbish for Perth people - the only destinations to decrease in cost that I can find are AYQ, KGI, and BME - definitely not the most frequently redeemed. Everywhere else goes up in cost - ADL, SYD, BNE, MEL all up from 30k to 36k for a return flight. SIN up from 30k to 50k. HKG from 50 to 60. NRT and JNB from 50 to 72. LHR and FRA from 110 to 112. Disasterous.
That was my first thought too, but given that PER never gets a fair go from QF, who would have expected anything else. A U seat to the East has gone up from 37500 (could do 5 stops) to 45000 (1 stop only) to now 72000! They really don't want FF people in the comfy seats. But Syd to Mel is cheaper, so ACA and Today Tonight won't complain.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: QF, IB
Insomniac...

It's 2am here in Spain and the new changes have left me "sleepless".....received the "Important changes" email a couple of hours ago, just as I was looking at purchasing some flights for January and March. Now that's on hold as I digest the news and think about AAdv.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:04 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & LT Silver
Roll On SQ

[QUOTE=AllyB]And for business, the thought of flying SQ to London is very enticing...

Yes, it is, isn't. But as is the thought of SQ from Aussie to the US. However, with the Minister for Qantas in charge of policy we shouldn't hold our breath. But more competition is needed to stop QF further eroding the benefits of its FF program.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Post One Way Trips

Originally Posted by QANTAS Web Site
Simpler Award flight point calculations ...

...The number of points needed for an Award flight on Qantas and our Partner airlines will be calculated on the sum of the one-way trips+ in your itinerary.
Originally Posted by QANTAS Web Site T&C Extract
'Trip' means:
(i) a series of consecutive Flight Segments not broken by a Surface Segment, Stopover or Turnaround Point;
(ii) a series of consecutive Flight Segments not exceeding the maximum permitted miles in the Award Flight tables; ...
So "to make it easier", we no longer add up the distance for each 'trip' within the itinery, we need to work out the zone for each 'trip' then total the points.

B******t! It does not simplify things at all.

e.g. For a basic 3 'trip' itinery,

with the current system we calculate:
<dist1>+<dist2>+<dist3>=<Total Dist>, what zone is that? to assign to <total points>.
i.e. 1 addition, 1 Comparison, 1 assignation or 3 actions.

with the new setup:
<dist1>,what zone is that? assign zone points to <trip zone 1 points>
<dist2>,what zone is that? assign zone points to <trip zone 2 points>
<dist3>,what zone is that? assign zone points to <trip zone 3 points>
<trip zone 1 points>+<trip zone 2 points>+<trip zone 3 points>=<total points>
i.e. 1 addition, 3 Comparisons, 3 assignations or 7 actions.

(This excludes the 'trip' distance calculations which are the same for each)

Last edited by serfty; Nov 23, 2004 at 6:46 pm Reason: "Simpler Award flight point calculations"!?!?!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:15 pm

Programs: QF PS and spouse of QP Senior Lifer PS, UA, AA, DL, AS, AV
[QUOTE=Zermatt]
Originally Posted by AllyB
But more competition is needed to stop QF further eroding the benefits of its FF program.
Some good news - after Australia's population doubles, it will become viable to restart a full service *A domestic carrier to replace Ansett.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
serfty - see post 12 for the definition of trip (copied from QFF t&c). CBR-SYD-CBR is 2 trips.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF Platinum & LT Silver
Originally Posted by QF ExLurker
Some good news - after Australia's population doubles, it will become viable to restart a full service *A domestic carrier to replace Ansett.
I thought it was obvious that I was talking about international competition.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:11 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I love this claim from the changes..

"From 25 May 2005, you will no longer earn Upgrade credits as many members found the Upgrade credit system confusing. Instead, for every 450 Status credits earned, we will award a Loyalty bonus of 5,000 Frequent Flyer points, in place of one Upgrade credit."

Aww, isnt that kind of them; those UCs were sooooo confusing. Far better to replace those complex beasts with nice simple 5000 points. Much rather have 25k points than an upgrade to Eggland... no really...I love the simplicity

Dave
I am so glad I decided to use my 4 UC's for D->F upgrade on Monday rather than use 45,000 points. So my 4 UC's were worth 45,000 points today, next year they will be worth 20,000 points!

I almost used points for the upgrade, saving the UC's for a WHY->J upgrade some time in the future. Looks lile I made the right decision.
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Interesting. I see it the other way around. In future will cost more to u/g with miles, so UC will be more valuable after May 05. So I would hold onto UC now and use miles, to use the UC later when they are worth more (assuming they arent likely to expire unused).
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF WP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Interesting. I see it the other way around. In future will cost more to u/g with miles, so UC will be more valuable after May 05. So I would hold onto UC now and use miles, to use the UC later when they are worth more (assuming they arent likely to expire unused).
Agree here - I think NM has the logic backwards
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

With the increased cost for u/g using miles, is it going to be worth doing a run next year to get another UC? I suppose there is some point where it is worth doing and further away from next UC it isnt. Any thoughts on where that point would be? Would the answer depend on how many UC already have?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:47 pm

Programs: Altitude/MilagePlus/Velocity
Whislt I've been deciding to join QFF or not this new news is stopping me from applying and maybe looking somewhere else.

I would suggest that all QFF members send an email to QANTAS stating your disatisfation rather thatn just on the forums. Its probably the only way QANTAS will know thats its current members are un happy. Maybe a representative from Flyertalk can put forward a case for members????
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:51 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Excpet that at least one of my 4 UC's would have expired by then (maybe two), so I would not have enough UC's to upgrade SYD-LAX anyway.

If we cannot earn any more UC's after May, we will end up with single orphaned UC's going to waste. So, if you earned 10 UC's you would have enough UC's for a SYD-LHR-SYD return upgrade, now the same Loyalty Bonus will just get an upgrade to the half-way point (SYD-SIN). Gee, like that is an incentive to keep me loyal to QF?
Old Nov 23, 2004, 7:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I am going to do a comparison of QF and NZ FFPs (not easy given the different currencies!). Suspect NZ will come out well ahead now (unless you just travel between SYD & MEL!).
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:03 pm
NM

Originally Posted by Sime
Agree here - I think NM has the logic backwards
Not if the UC's expire before May, and you end up with one or two orphaned UC's. I like to use my upgrades on the trans-Pacific routes. And for that I need 4 UC.s That is more than one year's earning for someone who just re-qualifies WP each year (I finished one exactly 1200 SC's last year).

So if I don't use them now, I would get to add to them after May. So using them as a set of 4 was much better value than using them in two sets of two. If I had used my points now, I may not have been able to use the remaining SC's in one group of four, and hence not received maximum value for them. Yes, I am earning another one on this current trip, which is worth 600 SC's total. I guess it will remain orphaned unless I can earn enough SC's to cross the next 450 SC barrier before May.

It is the orphaned UC's that are greatly devalued. And if non-confirmed upgardes makes it more difficult to get them, we may see more expired unused UC's going to waste. Only time will tell.

I guess I am thinking that an upgrade had is better than one that "might" be got later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.