FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS new rule changes
View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 2004, 8:03 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Sime
Agree here - I think NM has the logic backwards
Not if the UC's expire before May, and you end up with one or two orphaned UC's. I like to use my upgrades on the trans-Pacific routes. And for that I need 4 UC.s That is more than one year's earning for someone who just re-qualifies WP each year (I finished one exactly 1200 SC's last year).

So if I don't use them now, I would get to add to them after May. So using them as a set of 4 was much better value than using them in two sets of two. If I had used my points now, I may not have been able to use the remaining SC's in one group of four, and hence not received maximum value for them. Yes, I am earning another one on this current trip, which is worth 600 SC's total. I guess it will remain orphaned unless I can earn enough SC's to cross the next 450 SC barrier before May.

It is the orphaned UC's that are greatly devalued. And if non-confirmed upgardes makes it more difficult to get them, we may see more expired unused UC's going to waste. Only time will tell.

I guess I am thinking that an upgrade had is better than one that "might" be got later.