Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
At this stage I would less than 20% change at this stage, and if there flights had resumed you would likely be required to isolate for 14 days on arrival from the US.
I would hope that vaccine allocation would be negating isolation as at 01 July 2021.
What is in question is Qantas resuming Syd-Lax as at 01 July 2021 however vaccine confirmations may allow them to restart.
DC9 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: QF WP
Rumour goes that the a380 fleet would have to be at full Pre COVID utilisation for 3 years, with every flight a training flight, to get everyone checked to line again
Old Dec 11, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
At this stage I would less than 20% change at this stage, and if there flights had resumed you would likely be required to isolate for 14 days on arrival from the US.
Originally Posted by robertr
I would hope that vaccine allocation would be negating isolation as at 01 July 2021.
What is in question is Qantas resuming Syd-Lax as at 01 July 2021 however vaccine confirmations may allow them to restart.
To me 20% for 01 July 2020 is very optimistic. Agree the 14 days, except for NZ and some pacific travel bubbles, will remain for months.
Vaccine roll out in AU does not start until March (at best). Will take many months to complete.
All the reports from politicians and government health officials is Australia will remain closed to international travel (in and out, except for NZ) for all of 2021.
Have not read of any consideration being given to incoming vaccinated visitors being allowed in.

03 Dec 2020 (ExecTrav AU blog)--->Qantas: international travel "at a virtual standstill" until mid-2021

FT thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post32877802

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 11, 2020 at 6:21 pm
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:03 pm
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi

... Vaccine roll out in AU does not start until March (at best). Will take many months to complete. ...
Waiting for Slowmo to get things moving with the vax. Hard to believe that the Oz government can’t begin the roll-out until March.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:06 pm
DC9

Originally Posted by nancypants
Rumour goes that the a380 fleet would have to be at full Pre COVID utilisation for 3 years, with every flight a training flight, to get everyone checked to line again
789s to the rescue
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread topic is:- Qantas will suspend overseas travel until mid-2021
Originally Posted by DC9
Waiting for Slowmo to get things moving with the vax. Hard to believe that the Oz government can’t begin the roll-out until March.
A question-comment for the thread --> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...-15-march.html
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I am booked on QF11 1July 2021 Syd - Lax part of a Lufthansa Mini Round The World business.

What are the odds of this flight resuming?

I have confirmation plus seat allocations for all sectors SYD-LAX-FRA-BUD-FRA-SIN-SYD for July 2021.

Lufthansa & Singapore Airlines are the other carriers.

It is noted that very few seats have been allocated on all sectors.
I would say there is a very small chance of QF resuming TPAC services by 1 July... but who really knows? QF have said they will not carry pax unless they have been vaccinated, so will they even have enough eligible pax by then to run a 787 even if the Australian government permitted travel to the USA?

If you can, could you swap carrier to United for the TPAC?
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I would say there is a very small chance of QF resuming TPAC services by 1 July... but who really knows? QF have said they will not carry pax unless they have been vaccinated, so will they even have enough eligible pax by then to run a 787 even if the Australian government permitted travel to the USA?

If you can, could you swap carrier to United for the TPAC?
I suppose I could, as it is Star Alliance - Lufthansa ticketed (Qantas) is an exception - Syd-Lax (One World) however United was a choice also.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:44 pm

Another reason I am confident of Qantas resuming global flights in July is because the Olympic Games are scheduled in July 2021.The infrastructure around that is massive.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose I could, as it is Star Alliance - Lufthansa ticketed (Qantas) is an exception - SYD-LAX (One World) however United was a choice also.
UA, DL & AA are currently flying USA-SYD. QF have chosen not to fly scheduled long haul routes

Another reason I am confident of Qantas resuming global flights in July is because the Olympic Games are scheduled in July 2021.The infrastructure around that is massive.
I would not be confident of that for QF. Or the Olympics to be the same way is was in 2016
QF may do charters as they do now, and have done for most(all?) Olympics
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:14 pm
DC9

Another reason I am confident of Qantas resuming global flights in July ....
Although, will be dependent upon QF passengers having been vaccinated, before resuming scheduled flights, according to Alan Joyce.

Edit: Charters, well that may be another matter I guess
Old Dec 11, 2020, 9:22 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF and the Olympic Games (to me) means Oz to Japan flights. Can’t see global flights fitting into that scenario. And that doesn’t even account for the vaccination wild card.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 11:58 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I am booked on QF11 1July 2021 Syd - Lax part of a Lufthansa Mini Round The World business.

What are the odds of this flight resuming?

I have confirmation plus seat allocations for all sectors SYD-LAX-FRA-BUD-FRA-SIN-SYD for July 2021.

Lufthansa & Singapore Airlines are the other carriers.

It is noted that very few seats have been allocated on all sectors.
I'd say highly unlikely.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...6170f17b2c4d87

The CEO of QF has said
"Mr Joyce has previously said that flights to international destinations will not resume until a vaccine has become available and that flights to Europe and the US, where the virus is currently raging largely uncontrolled and significant lockdowns are in place, are unlikely until at least the end of 2021 pending a vaccine."

So end of 2021 provided there is a widespread vaccine.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:42 am
DC9

A week ago, no vax had been certified for use. Now the UK has since started vaccinating, with Canada and the US following within days, it seems.

With a bit of luck, in another 3 months we may be swamped by vax availability, as long as production isn’t hindered and countries ramp-up.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by DC9
A week ago, no vax had been certified for use. Now the UK has since started vaccinating, with Canada and the US following within days, it seems.

With a bit of luck, in another 3 months we may be swamped by vax availability, as long as production isn’t hindered and countries ramp-up.
True but you aren't going to vaccinate the majority for at least a year. Australia also isn't due to start Vaccinations until March at the earliest which will also impact the govt opening borders.
DC9 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.