Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BD1959
Other carriers have been flying SYD/LAX for a while - it hasn't encouraged QF to start to this point.

Regards,

BD
apart from a few repat flights & freight runs don't think NZ or FJ have been flying to USA. They both look like starting in late March or early April. Do you seriously think Qantas are going to let all the airlines that will be flying to LAX when borders open 18 March, to get all the market share ? Pent up demand is growing by the day, as many realise we are being conned.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HB7
Fair enough. I think however the OP was trying to highlight the fact that the chance of QF operating those flight is near on impossible.

In your opinion, what are the chances QF operates these flights - particularly to the UK/US?
The OP was clearly implying that the airline would not provide a refund on a cancelled service - whether the flights will operate will depend on how things develop
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by robertr
Hi All,
I thought that I might resurrect this post, note that the first flight is July 1 QF11 SYD-LAX
Any chance that this flight will take place or should I look at ditching Qantas and replacing it with United
* this is a booking from August 2020 as the original itinerary was July 2020 then Sept 2020 (both did not eventuate)
There is a significant risk that flight won't operate. As an Australian residing in Australia you also need the government to change the rules to allow Australians to leave, or to get an exemption. Not impossible but I also wouldn't count on it happening in that time frame.

If your booking was late 2021 or 2022 there would be a higher chance (given Australia should have rolled out the vaccine by then, allowing the travel restrictions to be eased).
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:21 am

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
There is a significant risk that flight won't operate. As an Australian residing in Australia you also need the government to change the rules to allow Australians to leave, or to get an exemption. Not impossible but I also wouldn't count on it happening in that time frame.

If your booking was late 2021 or 2022 there would be a higher chance (given Australia should have rolled out the vaccine by then, allowing the travel restrictions to be eased).
Yes 7k x 2 tickets with this booking originally for travel June 2000 then Sept 2000 then July 2001 ITrust my travel agent will be around as airlines like Lufthansa don't deal with passengers directly if booked through a travel agent, surely I have some recourse if things go pear shaped once more
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Not sure the idea that "many will realise we were being conned" is accurate, relevant, or likely to impact the possibility of an RTW running in July. It's *possible* and maybe even likely that QF will be operating flights to the US by then, but nobody can say for sure that it's 100%.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

kiwi flyer, do you just make up this stuff ?

Plenty of Australians departing right now with exemptions. Borders are officially closed til 17 March 2021. That's 2 1/2 months away. I'm leaving April 2021 if I can.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
apart from a few repat flights & freight runs don't think NZ or FJ have been flying to USA. They both look like starting in late March or early April. Do you seriously think Qantas are going to let all the airlines that will be flying to LAX when borders open 18 March, to get all the market share ? Pent up demand is growing by the day, as many realise we are being conned.
Air NZ have never stopped flying scheduled passenger flights NZ<---->USA. No restrictions on NZ citizens leaving NZ. Link--->https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trav...2LxJlTgnojABxF
UA have never stopped flying scheduled passenger flights USA<---->AU.
DL & AA (QF code share) are now flying scheduled passenger flights USA<--->AA
QF have chosen not to fly long haul international scheduled flights.

Main thread --> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post32939181

To me 99.9% probability the Heath Minister's emergency declaration will be extended (as has been done before)
https://www.health.gov.au/ministers/...y-three-months

Edit
Most of today's posts more relevant to the new QF thread
QF now selling international flights
shillard likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 5, 2021 at 1:06 am
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:55 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
And now the Federal Govt has criticised QF for opening these bookings without consulting them.

I wouldn't be providing QF with an interest-free loan right now!

Regards,

BD
Mwenenzi and shillard like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 12:58 am

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Have a look at the SYD airport arrivals page for today: Delta, AA and UA (x2) all flew in this morning ...

Regards,

BD
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 1:26 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] I am merging this thread with the main one in regards to Qantas international travel during / after the pandemic. [/mod hat]
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:07 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Risky move by Qantas and I cant see international flights resuming whilst internal borders open and close at a whim. We cant even get a bubble with NZ up and running and if you listened to the "experts" last year that bubble was going to be up and running by July 2020.
shillard likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:27 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by ANstar
Risky move by Qantas and I cant see international flights resuming whilst internal borders open and close at a whim. We cant even get a bubble with NZ up and running and if you listened to the "experts" last year that bubble was going to be up and running by July 2020.

Mate we don't even have a SYD-MEL bubble!

For those taking this move as gospel, it's clear that the border closures haven't interrupted the supply of LSD coming into the country...
Mwenenzi, deeruck and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:31 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards

Plenty of Australians departing right now with exemptions. Borders are officially closed til 17 March 2021. That's 2 1/2 months away. I'm leaving April 2021 if I can.
The borders are 'officially' closed till 17 March 2021 and will likely be extended. And there aren't 'plenty' of Australians leaving. From March to Dec 2020 only 95,000 Australians were granted exemptions to leave. The number of Australians stuck outside of Australia is actually growing and it is about 40,000 right now: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-...demic/12962746.

When you actually look at the official numbers, provided by the Australian government, https://www.bitre.gov.au/publication...t_traffic_data, outbound passengers from March to Oct 2020 are 8% of those from March to Oct 2019.

To add to the unlikeliness of Qantas running these flights, the Australian government came out and had scolded Qantas for doing this. Obviously they will have a huge say in how many people get in and out of the country.

Last edited by HB7; Jan 5, 2021 at 2:41 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by HB7
To add to the unlikeliness of Qantas running these flights, the Australian government came out and had scolded Qantas for doing this. Obviously they will have a huge say in how many people get in and out of the country.
This sort of pressure from both QF and pax with tickets is about the only thing that is getting the Feds to move on policy.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would take Kiwi Flyer's assessment over yours - I doubt very much that the border closure will end in April

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.