Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
These are essentially the same story from a single source (Professor Murphy). Professor Murphy is clear he is only looking a couple of months in advance. His timelines for 'most of the year' could be September/October (the time by which Australia is scheduled to have finished its vaccination program). We'll have to wait and see what happens in the months after Feb once the vaccination program starts to kick in.
bensyd likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
QF will be able to fly scheduled commercial flights if it wants to, but will have few passengers!
Isn't that what I said in different words?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:58 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
These are essentially the same story from a single source (Professor Murphy). Professor Murphy is clear he is only looking a couple of months in advance. His timelines for 'most of the year' could be September/October (the time by which Australia is scheduled to have finished its vaccination program). We'll have to wait and see what happens in the months after Feb once the vaccination program starts to kick in.
He's a bureaucrat - not his call.

It remains to be seen if those elected to office will actually step up to the plate and stop outsourcing their responsibilities to public servants.

Based on performance so far, I hold out little hope and suspect that we will see precious little in the way of QF international flying until 2022.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:33 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by shillard

It remains to be seen if those elected to office will actually step up to the plate and stop outsourcing their responsibilities to public servants.

Based on performance so far, I hold out little hope and suspect that we will see precious little in the way of QF international flying until 2022.
It’s clear that AJ at QF is thinking the same given the 2 yrs if status extension.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:30 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by shillard

Until at least 2022 - probably late 2022/2023.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by ANstar
I Miss the old QF5/6. Used it many times between Europe and Aus.
Ohh do stop it!
My memories of the joy of flying this route are hard to reconcile with these Covid times.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 4:36 pm

Need to travel

Originally Posted by DC9
I understand that the Government is not too keen on Ozzie citizens travelling overseas until possibly early 2021. If you “need” to travel, then you may apply for exemption. Unless of course it’s to Kiwiland, then it will not be on QF at this stage.

There will probably be some other carriers that you could fly with, in time. Just don’t expect a government repatriation flight to bring you back if things go bad.

Do you have any (COVID-safe) destinations in mind, or is COVID of no concern?
I totally understand the need to travel, every vagabond has ants in their pants including myself.
My QF booking is now on its 5th reinvention and the vaccine is not far off but there are some safe destinations that shouldn't be afraid of Australian travelers and personally I wish it was as simple as creating bubbles, checkin, takeoff.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 7:36 am
HB7

Originally Posted by Freespirit1
I totally understand the need to travel, every vagabond has ants in their pants including myself.
My QF booking is now on its 5th reinvention and the vaccine is not far off but there are some safe destinations that shouldn't be afraid of Australian travelers and personally I wish it was as simple as creating bubbles, checkin, takeoff.
I don't think the Australian government will allow anyone to leave Australia till mid-late 2022. The law currently has that till mid March 2021, but that will soon be extended, likely to September then again till 2022. The only possible exemption may be NZ late this year.
Freespirit1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I don't think the Australian government will allow anyone to leave Australia till mid-late 2022.
The government is democratically elected. At one point they must do as the majority of the electors mandates them to do. Australia is luckily not China.
When I read some press statements from Israel correctly, then the BioNTech vaccine is protecting more than 95% of the vaccinated population from serious disease. Yes, they still may bew contagious, but if 80+% of the Australian population had been vaccinated, there is no big reason anymore to keep the borders shut down.
Regarding the mutations -> What will be different in mid-late 2022 in comparison to the mid-late 2021?
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:10 pm
HB7

Originally Posted by warakorn
The government is democratically elected. At one point they must do as the majority of the electors mandates them to do. Australia is luckily not China.
When I read some press statements from Israel correctly, then the BioNTech vaccine is protecting more than 95% of the vaccinated population from serious disease. Yes, they still may bew contagious, but if 80+% of the Australian population had been vaccinated, there is no big reason anymore to keep the borders shut down.
Regarding the mutations -> What will be different in mid-late 2022 in comparison to the mid-late 2021?
I agree that if 80% of the population is vaccinated there is no reason to keep borders shut. But the Australian government has already said they're not opening borders up this year. As an Australian in London, this infuriates me because I can't visit my family, but it seems like the population in Australia seems to be fine with this. So maybe they will open borders up in 2022, but I would say not a chance in 2021. I hope I'm wrong.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:14 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Please stay on Qantas related issues, no general border closure debate. [/mod hat]
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
[mod hat] Please stay on Qantas related issues, no general border closure debate. [/mod hat]

[mod hat] Maybe I was unclear. If your post is about Qantas or Jetstar, then you are in the right forum. For general Covid or Australia discussions please post in the respective forums. [/mod hat]
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Staying on topic regarding Qantas international services. I do think that QF will resume some regular intl pax flights (apart from New Zealand) this year, maybe a frequency to SIN, HKG and LAX.

But the Australian government has already said they're not opening borders up this year.
As I recall, this was only the opinion of one politician/health expert. Things may and will change.

As an Australian in London, this infuriates me because I can't visit my family,
If you are an Australian citizens, it is possible to fly back to Australia (albeit with some hazzle).
Old Feb 7, 2021, 7:01 pm

That's a very good point you raise.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 8:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Staying on topic regarding Qantas international services. I do think that QF will resume some regular intl pax flights (apart from New Zealand) this year, maybe a frequency to SIN, HKG and LAX.
I wonder if outport airlines are reliably operating directs from those locations, is it worth QF's while (economically speaking) to operate further services?

In any case it's the arrivals cap that QF/SQ/CX all have to collectively overcome. It's not like there's untaken arrival passenger quotas that SQ nor CX is willing to carry passengers to fill. They're probably less than half filling their existing services to Aus anyway.
Freespirit1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.