FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/2020391-qantas-will-suspend-overseas-travel-until-december-2021-a.html)

scrappydog Jun 25, 2020 5:07 am

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

I just found this article from Executive Traveller

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...iddle-of-2021/

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce says that with the exception of New Zealand and a handful of other 'travel bubble' destinations, all international flying will be suspended until the middle of 2021 unless a coronavirus vaccine is released
Any thoughts on this? I have delayed all my travels til April 2021. But this is just worrying me, does that mean we can't actually leave AU and travel internationally. I don't know about you guys but in this uncertain times I just wish there is a bit of hope for us who needs to travel and rack up miles.

Dave Noble Jun 25, 2020 5:13 am

this doesn indicate whether or not the Government will allow travel to/from Australia, just that Qantas will not be offering services until next June

If you have a need to travel, then you can request permission to travel

DC9 Jun 25, 2020 7:25 am

Originally Posted by scrappydog (Post 32483775)

.... I have delayed all my travels til April 2021. But this is just worrying me, does that mean we can't actually leave AU and travel internationally. I don't know about you guys but in this uncertain times I just wish there is a bit of hope for us who needs to travel ....

I understand that the Government is not too keen on Ozzie citizens travelling overseas until possibly early 2021. If you “need” to travel, then you may apply for exemption. Unless of course it’s to Kiwiland, then it will not be on QF at this stage.

There will probably be some other carriers that you could fly with, in time. Just don’t expect a government repatriation flight to bring you back if things go bad.

Do you have any (COVID-safe) destinations in mind, or is COVID of no concern?

LondonElite Jun 25, 2020 7:43 am

Originally Posted by scrappydog (Post 32483775)
I just found this article from Executive Traveller

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...iddle-of-2021/

Any thoughts on this? I have delayed all my travels til April 2021. But this is just worrying me, does that mean we can't actually leave AU and travel internationally. I don't know about you guys but in this uncertain times I just wish there is a bit of hope for us who needs to travel and rack up miles.

Qantas does not have a say in whether you can travel abroad or not, the government does. QF merely suspended international's flights because, essentially, no one is allowed in or out of the country at the moment. What would be the purpose of running flights in that scenario. You don't need to rack up miles, you want to!

DownUnderFlyer Jun 25, 2020 8:26 am

Originally Posted by DC9 (Post 32484019)
Unless of course it’s to Kiwiland, then it will not be on QF at this stage.

Qantas will fly to NZ as indicated by Alan Joyce.

craigthemif Jun 25, 2020 10:51 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite (Post 32484067)
Qantas does not have a say in whether you can travel abroad or not, the government does. QF merely suspended international's flights because, essentially, no one is allowed in or out of the country at the moment. What would be the purpose of running flights in that scenario. You don't need to rack up miles, you want to!

I'm not sure any government is saying to its own citizens that they are prohibited from travelling. (or coming home if they are abroad) They simply give advice not to, which then tends to invalidate travel insurances... A full ban is Iron Curtain stuff...

What any government certainly can and are doing is prohibit non-citizens from entering the country. With no foreigners allowed to enter Oz, there won't be much demand for flights either.

LondonElite Jun 25, 2020 10:55 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 32484582)
I'm not sure any government is saying to its own citizens that they are prohibited from travelling. (or coming home if they are abroad) They simply give advice not to, which then tends to invalidate travel insurances... A full ban is Iron Curtain stuff...

What any government certainly can and are doing is prohibit non-citizens from entering the country. With no foreigners allowed to enter Oz, there won't be much demand for flights either.

Australians are currently not permitted to leave the country for non-essential purposes.

DC9 Jun 25, 2020 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by DC9 (Post 32484019)
... Unless of course it’s to Kiwiland, then it will not be on QF at this stage ....

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 32484157)

NZ = Kiwis.

markis10 Jun 25, 2020 2:18 pm

It’s scary what’s happening in HK with case imports, almost every EK flight seems to have significant cases https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/flights_trains_en.pdf, thanks to some governments lack of disclosure on the problem I am glad our borders are closed. This thing has a long way to go before it’s done.

Mwenenzi Jun 25, 2020 2:45 pm

QF news release here ---> QANTAS GROUP ANNOUNCES POST-COVID RECOVERY PLAN AND EQUITY RAISING FOR A STRONGER FUTURE

<snip>The plan targets benefits of $15 billion over three years, in line with reduced flying activity including fuel consumption savings, and delivering $1 billion per annum in ongoing cost savings from FY23 through productivity improvements across the Group. Key actions of the plan include:
  • Reducing the Group’s pre-crisis workforce by at least 6,000 roles across all parts of the business.
  • Continuing the stand down for 15,000 employees, particularly those associated with international operations, until flying returns.
  • Retiring Qantas’ six remaining 747s immediately, six months ahead of schedule.
  • Grounding up to 100 aircraft for up to 12 months (some for longer), including most of the international fleet. The majority are expected to ultimately go back in to service but some leased aircraft may be returned as they fall due.
  • A321neo and 787-9 fleet deliveries have been deferred to meet the Group’s requirements.
<snip>
IMPACT ON OUR PEOPLE

Of the Group’s 29,000 people, around 8,000 are expected to have returned to work by the end of July this year. It’s anticipated that this will increase to around 15,000 by the end of calendar year 2020 in line with the opening up of domestic flying, and increase further during calendar 2021 and 2022 as the international network returns, reaching 21,000 active employees by June 2022.

Redundancies are proposed to manage a surplus of around 6,000 roles, with the temporary surplus of around 15,000 managed through a mix of stand down, annual leave and leave without pay.

Stand-ups will increase as travel restrictions lift and flying returns. This allows the Group to preserve as many jobs as possible for the longer term and respond faster if recovery timelines improve.

In line with its obligations, the Group will consult with relevant unions on the proposed job losses announced today. These span the following areas of Qantas and Jetstar:
  • Non-operational – at least 1,450 job losses, mainly in corporate roles, due to less flying activity.
  • Ground operations – at least 1,500 job losses across airports, baggage handling, fleet presentation and ramp operations due to less flying activity.
  • Cabin crew – at least 1,050 job losses due to early retirement of the 747s and less flying activity. A further 6,900 cabin crew will be on stand down from July 2020 onwards.
  • Engineering – at least 630 job losses due to 747 retirement, less flying activity (particularly of the wide-body fleet) and redistribution of work from Jetstar’s Newcastle base to make better use of existing maintenance capacity in Melbourne.
  • Pilots – at least 220 job losses mostly due to early retirement of the 747s. A further 2,900 pilots will be on stand down from July 2020 onward.
Additional reduction in total roles will result from contractors, particularly in corporate areas such as IT, not returning.
<snip>
The only thing that surprised me that only 6,000 (~20%) of employees are going. Expected more.
But with airlines who are (direct) employees and who work for subcontractors can be blurred.

ANstar Jun 25, 2020 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer (Post 32484157)

And even then he hinted that it might not be before July 2021 that the TT bubble is open.

nancypants Jun 25, 2020 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 32485277)
QF news release here ---> QANTAS GROUP ANNOUNCES POST-COVID RECOVERY PLAN AND EQUITY RAISING FOR A STRONGER FUTURE

The only thing that surprised me that only 6,000 (~20%) of employees are going. Expected more.
But with airlines who are (direct) employees and who work for subcontractors can be blurred.

there’s weird .... going down with that as well. For example, the 717 fleet is being brought in house. Not sure if these numbers include that

likely the F100 fleet will be retired and Network become an A320 operator. Unclear if that means job losses in WA. Etc

Dave Noble Jun 25, 2020 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 32485210)
It’s scary what’s happening in HK with case imports, almost every EK flight seems to have significant cases https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/flights_trains_en.pdf, thanks to some governments lack of disclosure on the problem I am glad our borders are closed. This thing has a long way to go before it’s done.

Absolutely - the numbers of cases found from those in quarantine really support travel restrictions and quarantine measures --- though being 14 days maye it should be called quatorzine :)

bensyd Jun 25, 2020 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 32485210)

Yep. It's running at about 3%-4% of travellers quarantined in NSW testing positive.

NZbutterfly Jun 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 32485384)
there’s weird .... going down with that as well. For example, the 717 fleet is being brought in house. Not sure if these numbers include that

likely the F100 fleet will be retired and Network become an A320 operator. Unclear if that means job losses in WA. Etc

Ugh! The F100 is waaaay more comfortable than the 717. Aren’t there just 2 A320s in the Qantas fleet? I think they’re predominantly WA. Or will they borrow some from JQ?