Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas will suspend overseas travel until [December] 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2020, 12:50 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ANstar
True but you aren't going to vaccinate the majority for at least a year. Australia also isn't due to start Vaccinations until March at the earliest which will also impact the govt opening borders.
Yes. The Oz government is going to drag the chain with this by the look of it.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:23 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by DC9
Yes. The Oz government is going to drag the chain with this by the look of it.
It difficult to use a vaccine that is now not going anywhere (UQ/CSL). That pushes back everything. And unless you fit into the categories of “health care workers”, nursing home people or the very old, you’ll be waiting and waiting.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 1:42 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by og
It difficult to use a vaccine that is now not going anywhere (UQ/CSL). That pushes back everything. And unless you fit into the categories of “health care workers”, nursing home people or the very old, you’ll be waiting and waiting.

Although, March was the projected vax roll-out in Oz prior to the UQ vax going turtle. So I don’t see that as being a reason for delay.

Edit: UQ was still in Phase I trials, and potentially may not have been available until near the end of 2021, anyway, as I understand.

Last edited by DC9; Dec 12, 2020 at 2:00 am
Old Dec 12, 2020, 6:56 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Speaking of Qantas and international travel, here is a rare flight, in the air at this very moment:

QF in FRA is a rare sight since the demise of QF 5/6.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:02 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
[mod hat] Please use this thread for Qantas specific discussions. General vaccination discussions shouldn't be posted here. [/mod hat]
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by robertr
Another reason I am confident of Qantas resuming global flights in July is because the Olympic Games are scheduled in July 2021.The infrastructure around that is massive.
Australians still aren't currently allowed to leave the country without Government persimmons, this has just been extended to 31 March 2021 (Likely to see it extend agin - if there isn't much change in the world state by then)

I would hardly see Qantas starting International flights while this restriction is currently in place, QF's only scheduled International flights in currently SYD-AKL-SYD 2x weekly.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Australians still aren't currently allowed to leave the country without Government persimmons.
It needs fruit smuggled out?
shillard, stewardo, sol95 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It needs fruit smuggled out?
Hilarious

I'm more than happy to get into the persimmon exporting business if it means I can leave the country although I suspect Mathias Corman may have dibs on that job if the OECD gig falls through and of course he has the benefit of a private jet.
shillard likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Speaking of Qantas and international travel, here is a rare flight, in the air at this very moment:

QF in FRA is a rare sight since the demise of QF 5/6.
I Miss the old QF5/6. Used it many times between Europe and Aus.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
On Dec 2nd, Qantas stated it expected international travel "to be halted until atleast June 2021". They were previously quoted as saying until atleast October 2021 - perhaps some flight reintroductions are being brought forward - trying to look on the bright side ;-)
DC9 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 5:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
QF now selling international flights

Whether QF truly anticipate that we’ll be able to travel or they’re just trying to raise cash remains to be seen...

Let’s not forget cancelled flights result in credits abs not refunds.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...from-july-2021
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 7:50 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I can't see how this is anything but raising cash. I don't see how this is even physically possible unfortunately. I really hope I'm wrong, however, in the UK, the US and Europe the virus is literally at its peak and going up or holding steady.

Vaccine distribution and injections are occurring at much slower speeds in the UK and US than projected or anticipated.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I don't see this as being anything more than a cash grab.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by m0hamed

If a flight is cancelled by the airline , then a refund can be obtained
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:48 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If a flight is cancelled by the airline , then a refund can be obtained
It will take a lot of time for pax to get money back however, and QF may entice passengers with credit/vouchers and thus buy themselves some more time while travel slowly (very slowly) comes back - if that happens.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:08 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, United Platinum
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Whether QF truly anticipate that we’ll be able to travel or they’re just trying to raise cash remains to be seen...

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...from-july-2021
haha. Let’s see. When it seems Australian states will shut down their borders for a handful of cases, I don’t hold much hope for arrivals from the US or UK.
SNA_Flyer, shillard and ANstar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.