Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deteriorating food and drinks Qantas Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:39 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by mew24680
Experienced Qantas business class food for the first time, MEL and SFO, service was excellent, but the fish they served really smelled awful, and filled the J cabin with a terrible overbearing smell!
Hope the crew didn’t get to enjoy the fish. “Does anybody know how to fly a plane” (from Flying High / Airplane).
shillard and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:50 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mew24680
Experienced Qantas business class food for the first time, MEL and SFO, service was excellent, but the fish they served really smelled awful, and filled the J cabin with a terrible overbearing smell!
Was it the Barramundi with Tamarind sauce? I had this smell on my way to HKG.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by sxc
Tastes great (had it last week) but it is pungent and thus a brave dish to serve on an airplane. QF has added several more flavorful curry based dishes which are also smell-o-vision material. Personally I applaud QF for doing this, but can see how some would be bothered by the food aromas.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Yeah, it tasted all right, just too pungent. I think next time I am going to go for the beef. The staff also left out snacks, which was nice during the overnight flight!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:53 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
If food smell is an issue (and it certainly can be), just step aboard an AI long haul flight. If curry is not your thing, then you’ll have a bad flight.

And they’re smart in having Biz serviettes coloured pale yellow. Or have they been washed with similar material coated in curry ?
ps107 likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:16 am

Qantas food is a joke/HANG YOUR HEAD QANTAS

Since there has been no double status promotions I have been flying Singapore Thai and Emirates.. Wow what a difference in food and service.I remember Qantas boasting of their famous chicken schnitzel sandwich [Singapore/Bris/syd] it was only popular because choices were so bad.They have steaks lamb chicken fish all fresh and well prepared with fine wine lists.Poor old Qantas [I am Gold Life Member means nothing now] pork [never see what Auss is famous for steak/lamb/fish] and other poor cuts smothered in garlic [I defy anyone to find anything on menu not laced with garlic] to try and hide the terrible tastes of frozen badly tasting food.
Thankyou Qantas for not doing the double status I have been exposed to such great airlines and food I wont be back. Imagine eating their food 18 hour flights they are attempting..Bet Alan Joice did not get served crap on his recent 18 hour flight..
levelnine likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:31 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The grass can indeed be greener on the other side of the fence.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:29 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by og
The grass can indeed be greener on the other side of the fence.
To be fair, the QF food is pretty rubbish.

These day's I'm (thankfully) on a 4+ hours = J policy, and in descending order I would rank food:

1. SQ
2. CX
3. AA (TransPac - NOT domestic!!!)
4. LATAM
5. UL (plus they clean the J toilet after EVERY use...)

Then daylight, then a few others, then QF.

The dominance of the steak sandwich ended long ago.
levelnine and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 2:48 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shillard
To be fair, the QF food is pretty rubbish.

These day's I'm (thankfully) on a 4+ hours = J policy, and in descending order I would rank food:

1. SQ
2. CX
3. AA (TransPac - NOT domestic!!!)
4. LATAM
5. UL .....
Interesting you have CX catering in #2. I steered away from CX (J) some years ago because their catering had become worse than QF is now. They must have pulled their socks up remarkably.
I’d add TG to that list somewhere (above QF). I also feel UA international long haul is there too (above QF).
shillard likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:00 am

Programs: QF WP
Granted I haven’t flown CX or SQ for a long time. I really enjoyed the UL J meals (although the cheese plate was pretty pathetic, the other parts were good especially if you went for the Sri Lankan), LATAM is hit and miss and suffers from catering shortages (eg on the AKL-SCL they’d always run out of the non-soup starter by row 2 when I flew it); again things like the lucuma crisp (ie the national dish) was pretty good

have always found MH pretty good as well, especially with the ridiculously extensive pre order options

QF is around BA’s standard of catering. Notably BA F is still pretty poor. Domestically VA is generally streets ahead of QF which is a shame because the qantas lounges are better IMO

strikes me as not a particularly difficult or expensive thing to improve
levelnine likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
strikes me as not a particularly difficult or expensive thing to improve
The problem is that AJ has deluded himself into thinking QF has the best food of any carrier:

Mr Joyce told us the other carriers drool over Qantas’ food: “Having travelled on all those different airlines, Qantas is miles ahead with what Neil Perry is doing and I think our customers have shown that is actually quite special.”

https://www.dmarge.com/2019/10/qanta...advantage.html

LOL
shillard and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 3:57 pm

If the quote was 5 or 6 years ago it might have been defensible, sadly no more.

Re CX - Yes, they have picked up their game a lot from that bad period about 4 or 5 years back. Interestingly I've always found MH to be very poor which surprised me as I _love_ malaysian food but MH is the only airline where I often don't eat anything at all (hmm, to be more correct, nothing after the satay. thats good ). I also think that ala carte dining in the F lounge in KL is a horrible missed oppotrunity where it appears more interested in showcasing the food of Italy rather than Malaysia. Such a disappointment.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
CX food is still pretty weak with the exception of the dim sum breakfast which is great. American transcon is good, but not great. What I like about it though is that it does what it says on the box. Like most of Qantas' product it lives on yesteryear. Also I wonder how palatable it is for QF to be associated with Rockpool given what's come to light re underpaying staff and doctoring pay slips.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
CX food is still pretty weak with the exception of the dim sum breakfast which is great. American transcon is good, but not great. What I like about it though is that it does what it says on the box. Like most of Qantas' product it lives on yesteryear. Also I wonder how palatable it is for QF to be associated with Rockpool given what's come to light re underpaying staff and doctoring pay slips.
On the hkg-aust route the CX catering is miles better than QF. At least they feed the pax properly and none of this children portions
og likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Has Qantas recently increased the amount of catering? I saw a Dennis Bunnik review of PE recently and there was a full hot meal for the second service SYD - SIN, in which case that cabin looks better catered than J unless they have increased too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.