Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Ok, wife and daughter on two UL PNR;
1: DOH-CMB (and rtn)
2: CMB-SIN-MEL (and rtn) with the SIN-MEL leg on QF metal but UL codeshare.

UL do check through when on two PNR but as they will check in to QF in MEL for the rtn, will QF tag the bags all the way back to DOH?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VH-RMD
UL do check through when on two PNR but as they will check in to QF in MEL for the rtn, will QF tag the bags all the way back to DOH?
Unless the flight to DOH is an award flight, then no

They will have to collect bags in CMB and check them in again

Make sure that they have , at a minimum, transit visas for CMB ( if using an AU passport ) - with 2 bookings would recommend that even for outbound journey that they have them to avoid risk of UL not allowing them to board

Are you sure that UL will check the bags through on outbound?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble

Are you sure that UL will check the bags through on outbound?
Absolutely! Have done so many times from DOH and from CMB, seperate PNR even different OW airlines, UL through check... most recently July MLE-CMB (UL) change PNR, CMB-SIN (EK) SIN-SYD (QF) SYD-MCY (QF) and rtn MCY-SYD (QF) SYD-SIN (QF) SIN-CMB (EK) change PNR CMB-DOH (UL)

ETA; my wife just tells me that baggage was checked through to DOH from MCY but boarding passes needed to be collected in SYD for the SYD-DOH legs which QF did. So perhaps we may find a friendly check-in agent at the F desk in MEL? Won't hold my breath and will make contingency plans as they have 16hrs in CMB so will get a hotel anyway, it just makes the choice airport or city hotel.

Last edited by VH-RMD; Oct 31, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

I would definitely plan around QF not checking bags through - it is policy to not do so and it seems that it is good at having staff follow the policy
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:50 am

Does anyone know if it should be possible to through-check from a Jetstar New Zealand domestic flight to AKL connecting to a QF-coded EK flight on to Australia on separate tickets? My read of the Jetstar baggage page is "probably not" although it's pretty poorly written, so was wondering if anyone had experience with this?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jordyn
Does anyone know if it should be possible to through-check from a Jetstar New Zealand domestic flight to AKL connecting to a QF-coded EK flight on to Australia on separate tickets? My read of the Jetstar baggage page is "probably not" although it's pretty poorly written, so was wondering if anyone had experience with this?
2 separate tickets, then no checking of luggage through

http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/help/ar...gage-transfers seems pretty clear in that it does not do through checking of luggage except

Connecting international Jetstar flights and flights with our partner airlines (see list below), where both international flights were purchased on the same booking
and
Domestic flights in Japan connecting to international flights operated by American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Japan Airlines and Qantas, where both flights were purchased on the same booking

2 separate tickets will not meet that criterion of same booking.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Are qantas interlining with malaysian at the moment? 2 pnrs
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wtcmor
Are Qantas interlining with Malaysian at the moment? 2 PNR's
No.
https://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf...hecked-baggage

Unless 1 is an award, as below
Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
In that case I should be ok. I have QF 35 as an award and then a MH flight which I am buying. Transit time in Sin js 3 hours
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wtcmor
In that case I should be OK. I have QF 35 as an award and then a MH flight which I am buying. Transit time in Sin is 3 hours
Let us know how it goes.
You may have to do some talking to get interlined.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:15 pm

Planning on booking two separate tickets.
AKL-SYD QF
SYD-SIN SQ

Based on what I read QF will not interline to SQ? flying C/F will not help correct?

I will have a 3.5 hr layover. Is this enough time? How does the transit process work? Will I need an Australia visa? I will have to collect bags, exit immigration and recheckin, drop off bags? Will there be an expedited line for premium passengers for immigration?
Old May 19, 2018, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaiotes
AKL-SYD QF
SYD-SIN SQ

Based on what I read QF will not interline to SQ? flying C/F will not help correct?
Correct and Correct ; maybe you would have more luck if you book on Air New Zealand from AKL-SYD

If not booked yet, can you not book non stop from AKL-SIN?

I will have a 3.5 hr layover. Is this enough time? How does the transit process work? Will I need an Australia visa? I will have to collect bags, exit immigration and recheckin, drop off bags? Will there be an expedited line for premium passengers for immigration?
You will need a visa and you will need to collect the bags, exit immigration and recheckin, drop off bags

If you have a passport which can be used in the self service machines, you will likely do better than using an express pass for immigration , but you should receive an express pass leaflet
Old May 20, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AKL-SYD QF
SYD-SIN SQ

Technically you will not be in transit, as you have separate tickets and need to formally enter Australia to collect luggage and check in for your next flight.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Booking as 1 ticket would be simpler & far less risk.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:44 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Correct and Correct ; maybe you would have more luck if you book on Air New Zealand from AKL-SYD

If not booked yet, can you not book non stop from AKL-SIN?

You will need a visa and you will need to collect the bags, exit immigration and recheckin, drop off bags

If you have a passport which can be used in the self service machines, you will likely do better than using an express pass for immigration , but you should receive an express pass leaflet
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Technically you will not be in transit, as you have separate tickets and need to formally enter Australia to collect luggage and check in for your next flight.

Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration

Booking as 1 ticket would be simpler & far less risk.
It's only the bags that are the problem
If not bags, it will be open for kaiotes to OLCI for SQ flight and proceed thru the international transfer checkpoint in SYD or even to proceed thru the checkpoint with his SQ ticket alone and approach SQ transfer desk after security for his boarding pass.

But he may not be able to do so with bags
QF might not tag them through
Then kaiotes will have to obtain ETA (assuming US citizen) to enter Aus, collect bags, pass AQIS and check in again.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:13 pm

I did some research it appeaap as a us citizen I can get a transit Visa good for 72hrs? Is this correct? The evisa will cost me $140? Not willing to pony up that kind of money. But ideally I would like to avoid having to clear customs. Concerned 3 hrs is not sufficient. Is there a premium customs line for premium passengers?

i am wanting to take the syd-sin-hkg flight as I want to fly in their new A380 First class. Done the suites.
To get to syd. I have the flexibility to book on qf or vf. I don't think it makes a difference so I am leaning towards Qf but Va is cheaper vis ey miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.