Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 4, 2016, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: deeruck
Qantas agents' notice:
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/201606/0621
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/policies/QantasBaggagePolicy?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D3289727584528 7147303720953966178302954%7CMCORGID%3D11B20CF953F3 626B0A490D44%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1490150651 QF Baggage policy
http://www.qantas.com/agents/dyn/qf/info/BookingGuidelinesInterlineBaggage#through-checked-baggage
Print Wikipost

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
QF has a baggage interline agreement with EY. But what exactly is your itinerary, and is it all on one ticket? (It's probably my ignorance, but I didn't know that QF flies to AUH.)
As a guess it is a QF domestic flight. EY fly from BNE/SYD/MEL/PER. Or a port where both fly to/from like SIN. EY & QF both AA ff partners, so an AA award could have both airlines.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Asked if I could check through bags from QF1016 HBA-MEL onwards to CX178 MEL-HKG (separately ticketed).
HBA J agent looked at my onward eticket and no because it's not one ticket, or a separate ticket QF or EK (not my understanding of the rules, but because both tickets are redemption I left it at that)
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith
Asked if I could check through bags from QF1016 HBA-MEL onwards to CX178 MEL-HKG (separately ticketed).
HBA J agent looked at my onward eticket and no because it's not one ticket, or a separate ticket QF or EK (not my understanding of the rules, but because both tickets are redemption I left it at that)
It seems to be in line with the policy details at https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

For QF to CX, there is no through checking of baggage except when transferring between award and paid travel. There is no exemption listed for award-award

Originally Posted by QF
QF to/from oneworld No*

* Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. Note: This is a Qantas exemption and may not be supported by all oneworld airlines.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It seems to be in line with the policy details at https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

For QF to CX, there is no through checking of baggage except when transferring between award and paid travel. There is no exemption listed for award-award
Yes I thought the refusal reason should be award-award.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith

Yes I thought the refusal reason should be award-award.
It was correct in that, if you had been connecting to EK or QF, you would have been entitled to check the bags through on an award

May not have given the full details on requirements, but sounds like the person was correct in what was stated
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:47 am

Well the HBA J check in GA made it sound like all QF-CX on separate tix are not eligible for check through. Didn't really dig into my ticket to check whether it's a redemption or not.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Do Qantas interline with Ethiad. Its all one PNR but with a 9 hour transit in Abu Dhabi from 11pm to 8am not sure whether they will check it in to final destination in Europe
QF do have an interline baggage agreement with EY however it would depend on the length of time between flights eg if BNE QF SYD overnight then SYD EY AUH next day then no dice as they don't hold bags overnight. Basically if the QF CSA can already see the oncarriage flight in the Altea checkin system then your bag can be through checked.

Note that it could be separate tickets but same booking. I don't think QF & EY have an IATCI agreement to issue boarding passes however you could try and web check for EY or you could just get the boarding passes at the gateway city where you join the EY flight. It's worth checking with EY to see if they can see the luggage tag numbers which should have generated across from Altea. Have the baggage claim receipt with you in case they need to enter it into the EY checkin system.
wtcmor likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Read through this thread and have a question that doesn't seem to be clearly addressed (and if so, I missed it so apologies).

I'm currently booked on the relatively cheap Amex J fare to MEL but am ultimately going to be traveling on to AKL. On the return, we are booked on a QF flight from MEL to LAX code shared by AA (so AA marketed, QF operated) with an onward connection on AA at LAX on a single ticket. I'm looking at booking the 6:00am flight out of AKL arriving at 8:10am and then connecting to the MEL flight at 10:40. I'm trying to decide if I should book that as a revenue ticket or an award ticket. That decision seems to turn on whether the AA coded but QF operated flight from MEL to LAX is treated as QF or AA for baggage policy purposes. Anyone have any insight into this? Revenue J is cheap, so I'd like to book with cash...but award in Y is also available, so I can book that if I need to in order to make sure we have through checking under the QF to/from oneworld but Award & revenue exception.

Also, am I right that QF does not protect QF->QF in the event there is an issue with our return?

Appreciate any insight.
Old May 29, 2019, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

An AA marketed flight is an AA flight , so based on QF- OW

If you have an award Qantas flight , then QF does have a policy to check through

Regardless, you are not protected , so you need to consider what penalties will apply if you miss the onward flight
Old May 29, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thanks for the thoughts, Dave. Very much appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
This did the job perfectly! BA Avios redemption on QF BNE-SYD, connecting onto revenue BA SYD-LHR-OSL. They weren't sure at first, then showed the website, still unsure then showed this and they were much happier! Called over their supervisor to check (who was totally up to speed re the exemption for mixed reward/revenue) and bag duly checked the whole way through to OSL ^ Many thanks to the posters on this thread, saves me having to collect and recheck in SYD and can go straight to connecting bus, giving me more time in the QF First Lounge
EDIflyer, I have a question for this situation which my friend is facing next week.

His QF award ticket of MEL AKL is based on BA Avios Redemption, connecting onto a QR revenue ticket of AKL DOH LHR with twenty seven hours layover in DOH so do you think his luggages will be checked the whole way through to DOH due to an exemption of award travel and revenue travel?

Please let me know so that I can advise my friend about this situation. Thanks for your help and time!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kkt228
EDIflyer, I have a question for this situation which my friend is facing next week.

His QF award ticket of MEL AKL is based on BA Avios Redemption, connecting onto a QR revenue ticket of AKL DOH LHR with twenty seven hours layover in DOH so do you think his luggages will be checked the whole way through to DOH due to an exemption of award travel and revenue travel?

Please let me know so that I can advise my friend about this situation. Thanks for your help and time!
Yes that sounds like a situation that should be covered - I'd advise they take some of the printouts referenced upthread with them though in case they run into problems at the airport! Also make sure they're clear they only want the luggage to go to DOH due to the long layover. Please report back and let us know how they get on
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkt228

No chance - 24 hours is the maximum check through time - the passenger will need to retrieve the bags in Doha
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
No chance - 24 hours is the maximum check through time - the passenger will need to retrieve the bags in Doha
Ah OK - I didn't know if Doha allowed a longer hold for bags.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Ah OK - I didn't know if Doha allowed a longer hold for bags.
I am not aware of any airports that will allow bags to be checked through when there is a stopover

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.