Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

QF- no checking of luggage separate itineraries from 1 Sep [2016 some exceptions]

Hide Wikipost
Old May 11, 17, 1:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: deeruck
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 15, 19, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
QF has a baggage interline agreement with EY. But what exactly is your itinerary, and is it all on one ticket? (It's probably my ignorance, but I didn't know that QF flies to AUH.)
As a guess it is a QF domestic flight. EY fly from BNE/SYD/MEL/PER. Or a port where both fly to/from like SIN. EY & QF both AA ff partners, so an AA award could have both airlines.
Old Apr 22, 19, 12:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Depends
Asked if I could check through bags from QF1016 HBA-MEL onwards to CX178 MEL-HKG (separately ticketed).
HBA J agent looked at my onward eticket and no because it's not one ticket, or a separate ticket QF or EK (not my understanding of the rules, but because both tickets are redemption I left it at that)
Old Apr 22, 19, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Asked if I could check through bags from QF1016 HBA-MEL onwards to CX178 MEL-HKG (separately ticketed).
HBA J agent looked at my onward eticket and no because it's not one ticket, or a separate ticket QF or EK (not my understanding of the rules, but because both tickets are redemption I left it at that)
It seems to be in line with the policy details at https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

For QF to CX, there is no through checking of baggage except when transferring between award and paid travel. There is no exemption listed for award-award

Originally Posted by QF
QF to/from oneworld No*

* Exemptions apply for customers travelling on a oneworld separate PNRs when using a combination of award travel and revenue travel. Note: This is a Qantas exemption and may not be supported by all oneworld airlines.
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It seems to be in line with the policy details at https://www.qantas.com/agencyconnect...hrough-checked

For QF to CX, there is no through checking of baggage except when transferring between award and paid travel. There is no exemption listed for award-award
Yes I thought the refusal reason should be award-award.
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by percysmith View Post

Yes I thought the refusal reason should be award-award.
It was correct in that, if you had been connecting to EK or QF, you would have been entitled to check the bags through on an award

May not have given the full details on requirements, but sounds like the person was correct in what was stated
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:47 am

Well the HBA J check in GA made it sound like all QF-CX on separate tix are not eligible for check through. Didn't really dig into my ticket to check whether it's a redemption or not.
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:16 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by wtcmor View Post
Do Qantas interline with Ethiad. Its all one PNR but with a 9 hour transit in Abu Dhabi from 11pm to 8am not sure whether they will check it in to final destination in Europe
QF do have an interline baggage agreement with EY however it would depend on the length of time between flights eg if BNE QF SYD overnight then SYD EY AUH next day then no dice as they don't hold bags overnight. Basically if the QF CSA can already see the oncarriage flight in the Altea checkin system then your bag can be through checked.

Note that it could be separate tickets but same booking. I don't think QF & EY have an IATCI agreement to issue boarding passes however you could try and web check for EY or you could just get the boarding passes at the gateway city where you join the EY flight. It's worth checking with EY to see if they can see the luggage tag numbers which should have generated across from Altea. Have the baggage claim receipt with you in case they need to enter it into the EY checkin system.
wtcmor likes this.