Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woolies thinks QF is on the nose

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
That aligns with my thinking - may not quite a game of Bluff but getting there.
I think Woolworths were quite prepared to walk away from it all, if Qantas didn't move. There is a couple of things about this, one of which is whether Qantas moved on price.

The other, though, is that it reverses a trend of things going automatically to Qantas. Woolworths has basically rested back control of the program.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
So - you still have to buy these orange ticket items to accumulate the $10 Woolworths before converting to QF points? Judging from reports of a lack of orange stickies in the trolley that's going to take a while.

I'm wondering if flybuys is easier where I think you just shop - no searching out special items.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:32 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
I don't even know what the orange stickers look like - they are unknown in my local Woolies. But I can go there and put my backpack in the "auto self check out" area and load it up without problem whereas with the nearby Coles, I go through endless frustrations in the auto self check out area with the computer saying "unexpected item in bagging area" multiple times. Woolies 1, Coles nil. Loyalty, what loyalty.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I find Coles and Woolworth's self service to be equal in handling items

Place item in bagging area, wait for red lights to turn green before scanning next item. Don't remove items from bagging area whilst the red lights are on and both are the same ime

I just shop between the coles and woolworth's in local shopping centre buying where the items are cheaper

My interest in being spammed by either company is zero so I avoid boths rewards cards
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: LifeQP LTS, Avis
As a quick comparison, for a $800 Woolies spend, I can earn either $10 Woolies credit or $26 QF credit, based on the new scheme. So I believe the new QF scheme is far superior.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I find Coles and Woolworth's self service to be equal in handling items

Place item in bagging area, wait for red lights to turn green before scanning next item. Don't remove items from bagging area whilst the red lights are on and both are the same ime
The same company provides SSO machines for both Woolworths and Coles. Just about the only difference is the branding in the software package.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:42 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Himeno
The same company provides SSO machines for both Woolworths and Coles. Just about the only difference is the branding in the software package.
They both work perfectly well with the plastic bags supplied. But there is a big difference between the two when I use my backpack instead of the plastic bags. Woolies have got the settings right (IME), but Coles just can't cope with the same usage (IME and with the same backpack).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: QF WP LTG PC+,OW Emerald
Maybe so - but whether the 'Unexpected item in baggage area' is turned on or not is a store by store decision for Woolies. If it is turned on at a store and it activates I just get one of the staff to complete my checkout process and don't use the self serve for a while - they often get turned back off.

It only inconveniences the honest people. The thieves know to put the expensive item on the scales without disclosing the barcode to the machine and put it through as carrots. Then it is the correct weight for the bag.

When it is turned off these systems work well.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky_man
Maybe so - but whether the 'Unexpected item in baggage area' is turned on or not is a store by store decision for Woolies. If it is turned on at a store and it activates I just get one of the staff to complete my checkout process and don't use the self serve for a while - they often get turned back off.
All stores are meant to have it on as per instructions from loss prevention and the system updates from IT. Some stores override the setting due to customer complaints.

It only inconveniences the honest people. The thieves know to put the expensive item on the scales without disclosing the barcode to the machine and put it through as carrots. Then it is the correct weight for the bag.

When it is turned off these systems work well.
I've heard a story that a customer was once caught weighing everything and scanning it off as potatoes.

The thieves just steal high mark down RTC stickers and put them on something else. Want that $48 pork roast? I'll just take this $2.40 orange sticker off this Rump Stake.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Lucky_man
The thieves know to put the expensive item on the scales without disclosing the barcode to the machine and put it through as carrots. Then it is the correct weight for the bag.
I've heard a story that a customer was once caught weighing everything and scanning it off as potatoes.

The thieves just steal high mark down RTC stickers and put them on something else. Want that $48 pork roast? I'll just take this $2.40 orange sticker off this Rump Stake.
The tricks you learn on FT

I thought I was doing well snagging a mistake TATL return J fare for USD578, but now I'm learning how to reduce my grocery bill - every week!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So Woolies realises it stuffed up yet again. Lets go back to the future..... Seems a limited number of loyalty card holders can convert their Woolies dollars to QF FF points - as per the last lines in this: http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...13-go5axt.html Then the rest of us get to do it later on.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by og
So Woolies realises it stuffed up yet again. Lets go back to the future..... Seems a limited number of loyalty card holders can convert their Woolies dollars to QF FF points - as per the last lines in this: http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...13-go5axt.html Then the rest of us get to do it later on.
While taking QF out of the rewards may have a big impact, the biggest problem is that customers can only earn points on the certain few specified products. People want to buy what they want, and not be told what they should buy. Until that's fixed, even QF points won't float the boat again.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
While taking QF out of the rewards may have a big impact, the biggest problem is that customers can only earn points on the certain few specified products. People want to buy what they want, and not be told what they should buy. Until that's fixed, even QF points won't float the boat again.
Indeed. The big problem Woolworths have is that it is a very poor program, regardless of whether it awards Qantas Points or not.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by og
This isn't quite right.
Since the start of the year, as part of the normal weekly offers that are randomly sent to members, on certain offers, you are able to pick between earning QFF points or WOW$. This was stated in December when the new WOW/QF deal was signed. It is not "some now, others later". It is random offers which members may or may not get (as has always been the case).

There are 4 different offer types going around. Only 1 type offers the choice between points or W$. All offers are based on spend $x, earn $y. Some offers are instant save, others are later save. Some require the needed spend be in one transaction, others allow that target to be spread across the week.

The option, for all members, to auto convert W$ to QFF points will come mid year.

Since the program changed in Oct, I have gotten W$16.80. $16 of that came from a single shop when I had an offer. I only got $16 and made the spent target because it was xmas eve and I was doing my xmas shopping. That is also the only time I've gotten any sort of reasonable, reachable, targeted offer. I have no idea where I got the other 80c from. I assume from buying a product that didn't have an orange ticket on it, but should have.

While the old program had its problems, it was far better then the current one.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 11:28 pm

Under the old program my parents credited their Woolies/Qantas miles to my Qantas account, which at least keep it active, even though the miles earn't were insignificant.

The new program just seems, to me at least, much more complicated. Ie Only some items earn, sometimes their are bonus's, sometimes you can chose miles or points.....I think this program is going to have more changes to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.