Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woolies thinks QF is on the nose

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Himeno
Most people who had linked EDR to QFF were not getting flights. They were getting gift cards and other items from the QFF shop. If they used the points at all. People who didn't link to QFF were getting vouchers sent from woolworths once they had a set amount of points
Or, like RadioBloke, just keeping his QFF account alive.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
Originally Posted by Himeno
Most people who had linked EDR to QFF were not getting flights. They were getting gift cards and other items from the QFF shop. If they used the points at all. People who didn't link to QFF were getting vouchers sent from woolworths once they had a set amount of points
Or, like RadioBloke, just keeping his QFF account alive.
Cats and dogs of Australia have resisted, but they may have to install the search bar
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG
I actually called up the Woolworths EDR line today to tell them that after Dec 31, I will take my grocery shopping business anywhere that is cheaper and fresher and that I no longer have an incentive to shop at Woolworths after my local store has self check-out only for customers with shopping items in the trolley. The manned check-out at my local store is only for customers with a few items in a basket.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you really saying that you have been deliberately buying products of a lower standard and higher price to purchase QF points?

If Woolworth's is a cheaper location for some shopping, you would deliberately pay more due to no QF points? I assume that you will cancel the Woolworth's reward card?

If so, I suspect that you are in a very small minority
Old Oct 25, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Originally Posted by igel
I actually called up the Woolworths EDR line today to tell them that after Dec 31, I will take my grocery shopping business anywhere that is cheaper and fresher and that I no longer have an incentive to shop at Woolworths after my local store has self check-out only for customers with shopping items in the trolley. The manned check-out at my local store is only for customers with a few items in a basket.
meh - it was a nice little bonus whilst it lasted but nothing else. My area only has 2 Woolworths and 1 Aldi - the nearest Coles is a 30 min drive. It was as about as useful as flybuys.

Will continue to shop mostly at Woolworths for the specials and occasionally at Aldi for the mainstream foods. No such thing as loyalty anymore (it cuts both ways of course)

Interestingly the announcement was on a Sunday - thought these things usually were on a Friday afternoon but I guess it was leaked a few days ago.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:13 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
When Flybuys first came out I worked out the sums and wrote to them saying that to get 1 free Melbourne to Sydney flight, I could get for $100 or less I'd have to spend AUD $30,000. Unsurprisingly they never replied. Hardly a great deal.
Great deals when they give you $50 for spending $60 for three weeks, especially with the coupons.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:15 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are you really saying that you have been deliberately buying products of a lower standard and higher price to purchase QF points?

If Woolworth's is a cheaper location for some shopping, you would deliberately pay more due to no QF points? I assume that you will cancel the Woolworth's reward card?

If so, I suspect that you are in a very small minority
I have been deliberately topping up my Opal card to get QF points, now I will have to find a place that has fresher top ups
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by markis10
I have been deliberately topping up my Opal card to get QF points, now I will have to find a place that has fresher top ups
BP service stations will give you 2 VA Velocity points prr AUD spent in store - including Opal recharges.

Dave
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
When Flybuys first came out I worked out the sums and wrote to them saying that to get 1 free Melbourne to Sydney flight, I could get for $100 or less I'd have to spend AUD $30,000. Unsurprisingly they never replied. Hardly a great deal.
When FB first came out I booked MEL-BNE return on QF for 17000 FlyBuys points - mainly earned from bonus points on promotional deals and a sub $2000 expenditure.

I was able to upgrade the flights to Business class each way using (physical) QFF upgrade certificates.

These days, FB represents a minimum ½¢ per $ rebate - although for me there can be better value in other redemptions.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: United mileage plus, qantas frequent flyer silver
I've been to UK return in J using those points twice since 2011. Collecting qf points has become my 'hobby' I am very strategic. I will shop at Coles or Foodland in future.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
When FB first came out I booked MEL-BNE return on QF for 17000 FlyBuys points - mainly earned from bonus points on promotional deals and a sub $2000 expenditure.
The very original FLybuys scheme earned 1 point for every $20 you spend. Flight redemptions could be had for 550 points
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by perthite
The very original FLybuys scheme earned 1 point for every $20 you spend. Flight redemptions could be had for 550 points
Now you mention it, while I did enroll on FB's inception, it did take me a while to accumulate and given that 550 the scheme did likely evolve before that redemption. (Given the use of paper certs, it was last century ... turn of at best.)
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Now you mention it, while I did enroll on FB's inception, it did take me a while to accumulate and given that 550 the scheme did likely evolve before that redemption. (Given the use of paper certs, it was last century ... turn of at best.)
Would have been in 98/99 they changed the program from earning 1 point per $20 to 1 point per $5. Exsiting balances and redemption rates were basically muliplied by 20, so a 550 point redemption became an 11,000 point rdemption.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Some may stop shopping at Woolworths, but there's a big issue for QFF:

- QFF generates huge profits for the QF Group, with over $300m last year (of which up to $80m may have been delivered by EDR)
- they're busy adding the number of non-flying partners you can earn on, presumably charging them a pretty penny for the privilege
- while converting the program into a shopping loyalty program, they're steadily reducing the value of those points, and making it harder to earn from actually flying on QF and partners
- now Woolworths is sending a message that awarding QFF points isn't driving any loyalty valued beyond the cost of acquiring those points

Given that the financial success of QFF seems to be driven by adding 3rd party partners, the impact of this decision on the QFF business model will be interesting to watch.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
Some may stop shopping at Woolworths, but there's a big issue for QFF:

- QFF generates huge profits for the QF Group, with over $300m last year (of which up to $80m may have been delivered by EDR)
- they're busy adding the number of non-flying partners you can earn on, presumably charging them a pretty penny for the privilege
- while converting the program into a shopping loyalty program, they're steadily reducing the value of those points, and making it harder to earn from actually flying on QF and partners
- now Woolworths is sending a message that awarding QFF points isn't driving any loyalty valued beyond the cost of acquiring those points

Given that the financial success of QFF seems to be driven by adding 3rd party partners, the impact of this decision on the QFF business model will be interesting to watch.
Optus is gone, banks have been busy capping the points earn. Possible that QFF have pushed the greed button a little too hard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.