Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woolies thinks QF is on the nose

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Of course if WOW does decide to stop providing their shoppers QFF points they are to blame. I doubt QF initiated any decision to terminate the relationship, WOW quite rightly analysed the cost and determined how much additional profit was brought into the business by the relationship, especially with the increased cost of QFF points, and then decided to either try to renegotiate the cost or failing that put into place something else.
I worked on the exact same issue with QF over a decade ago and we decided to reduce the number of points per dollar to keep the same level of profit, something our competitors did within 6 months as well.
The choice remains with the partner, QF just wants to sell the points for dollars and ensure their brand is not tarnished by their partners.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
Yes, but not as easy as just walking into Woolies & signing up for everydayrewards.
Seriously?

http://www.qantas.com.au/freejoin
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:03 am

No Points. Simply Money off your shopping
http://www.woolworthsrewards.com.au/coming-soon/
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by perthite
No Points. Simply Money off your shopping
http://www.woolworthsrewards.com.au/coming-soon/
WOW version of fair and "Simply"
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Woolworths is a basket case (see what I did there?).

Masters? Disaster.

BigW? Used to dominate DDS, now an also-ran.

Dick Smith? Sold it for $0.50, the new owners unsold it for a few hundred bucks.

In-store experience is appalling. Narrow aisles, undermanned checkouts, miserable fresh food offering, high prices (at least until a few weeks ago).

Coles have them by the scrote - and have done so for years.

As for rewards programmes, FlyBuys dumps all over EDR from a great height. Spend $25 at Coles, get at least 25 FB points. Spend $25 at Woolies, get nothing.

I concur with comments above - the biggest impact will be on those who keep QFF accounts current with the occasional purchase at a Woolies outlet. Like my cat's membership.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:06 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well the toaster market will be nosediving now! And I believe ACMA will be investigating Woolies for failing to have a functional unsubscribe in their email, another cross for inept management.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Anyway WOW I not entirely blameless they went into partnership with one of the most popular loyalty programmes in Australia knowing it would increase their costs but hoped for a higher revenue stream
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Of course if WOW does decide to stop providing their shoppers QFF points they are to blame. I doubt QF initiated any decision to terminate the relationship, WOW quite rightly analysed the cost and determined how much additional profit was brought into the business by the relationship, especially with the increased cost of QFF points, and then decided to either try to renegotiate the cost or failing that put into place something else.

Blame implies that Woolworth's has done something wrong ( Blame (verb): Feel or declare that (someone or something) is responsible for a fault or wrong) . Its decisions to start offering points and then some time later to end doing it does not mean it did anything wrong

It may well be that the new offering is cheaper for Woolwoth's and make no difference to where people purchase their shopping - why would anyone blame a company for that?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 2:40 pm

It now looks like QF has been dumped from Everyday Rewards.

The question is what is the fate of the millions of QF membership accounts which have been linked to the Every Day rewards scheme - even if they are maintained presumably QF is losing huge numbers of active members.

Not to mention huge revenue from points sales...cue a "reach out to our customers" email.

Bravo to Coles/Etihad in the timing of their launch!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:09 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The US's Safeway (red) card which offers variable discounts off products seems a potent method for encouraging supermarket loyalty. Discounts on alcohol (IIRC) 10 - 40% and (IIRC) grocery items of around 10 - 20%. Of course the shelf tickets show both prices (with and without the card).

Compare that approach with Woolies where you need to spend about $20,000 to get enough QF points to get an award SYD-MEL (assume ticket value is $150 and Woolies spend is $50 each time). No wonder Woolies has finally woken up to this one. You don't hear people at the check-out saying "great - I've now only got $19,950 to spend to get that free ticket SYD-MEL" - but I'd bet that people would think "great - I saved $2.50 by remembering to carry my Woolies loyalty card"
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Aspen
Funny, today FlyBuys today announced a tie in with Etihad.
When Flybuys first came out I worked out the sums and wrote to them saying that to get 1 free Melbourne to Sydney flight, I could get for $100 or less I'd have to spend AUD $30,000. Unsurprisingly they never replied. Hardly a great deal.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: QFF
Most people who had linked EDR to QFF were not getting flights. They were getting gift cards and other items from the QFF shop. If they used the points at all. People who didn't link to QFF were getting vouchers sent from woolworths once they had a set amount of points
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:20 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It's "Discount Dollars". But don't expect QF to tell you anything about that. They are still reaching out with their latest spam email to tell about exciting rewards and great rewards . - oh and watch this space because we can't tell you anything about the changes yet.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...23-gkh7t4.html

Last edited by og; Oct 24, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by og
It's "Discount Dollars". But don't expect QF to tell you anything about that. They are still reaching out with their latest spam email to tell about exciting rewards and great rewards . - oh and watch this space because we can't tell you anything about the changes yet.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retai...23-gkh7t4.html
"Under the terms of the new look scheme, customers will earn "dollars" when they purchase specially marked grocery items at Woolworths."

I assume 'specially marked' will be those products that are from suppliers that are willing to fund the special marking!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by perthite
"Under the terms of the new look scheme, customers will earn "dollars" when they purchase specially marked grocery items at Woolworths."

I assume 'specially marked' will be those products that are from suppliers that are willing to fund the special marking!
They will have orange tickets just like the current EDR only extra special tickets.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
They will have orange tickets just like the current EDR only extra special tickets.
Yes, but I imagine the suppliers will be paying to have those special tickets (much like weekly specials are by and large funded by the suppliers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.