Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Has any non-QF Emerald guested in their entire family? How willing are the matrons to accommodate that?
On 12/31, I (AB Platinum) was able to guest in my wife and two kids (12/15 ys). The - male - LD was unsure whether the computer would allow it as he had never had that before but it worked. We were flying AB in C.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 3:26 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by wisenberger
On 12/31, I (AB Platinum) was able to guest in my wife and two kids (12/15 ys). The - male - LD was unsure whether the computer would allow it as he had never had that before but it worked. We were flying AB in C.
Thanks for the reply!
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by wisenberger
Flying in C makes the difference, allowing 1 guest for your wife (so each of you can guest 1 child for total of 2). Officially it is 1 guest only, so if your wife had been flying in Y then the kids would not have been allowed Of course they do make exceptions at times.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by number_6
Flying in C makes the difference, allowing 1 guest for your wife (so each of you can guest 1 child for total of 2). Officially it is 1 guest only, so if your wife had been flying in Y then the kids would not have been allowed Of course they do make exceptions at times.
Oneworld C class does not allow guests, F does however
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:34 pm

I will be traveling on QF11 SYD-LAX-JFK. On the SYD-LAX segment I will be in FC and, since there is no FC, on the LAX-JFK segment I will be in J. My question is, if I have time to use the lounge at LAX can I access the Qantas FC Lounge or will I have to use the Business Lounge?

I posted this question on another thread and then realized this was probably the more appropriate thread so my apologies for the duplicate posting.

I
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by laf747
I will be traveling on QF11 SYD-LAX-JFK. On the SYD-LAX segment I will be in FC and, since there is no FC, on the LAX-JFK segment I will be in J. My question is, if I have time to use the lounge at LAX can I access the Qantas FC Lounge or will I have to use the Business Lounge?

I posted this question on another thread and then realized this was probably the more appropriate thread so my apologies for the duplicate posting.

I
Yes you do have access to the F lounge.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yes you do have access to the F lounge.
... but for maybe 30 minutes only ...

By the time you do immigration, wait for bags, queue for customs, use security, get to the lounge and be called to board 40 minutes before the departure, it leaves little time.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Great walk-thru. Thanks OP
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
... but for maybe 30 minutes only ...

By the time you do immigration, wait for bags, queue for customs, use security, get to the lounge and be called to board 40 minutes before the departure, it leaves little time.
Still worth it for salt and pepper squid.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they have that in the AM?

(As far as S&P squid goes, I have not had it since I had an off serving in the SYD First lounge around 2008 - the smell makes me queezy these days)
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:27 pm

Though it's off topic, since food has been brought up, is the "famous" steak sandwich worth ordering on the QF 11 SYD-JFK segment?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:47 pm

(As far as S&P squid goes, I have not had it since I had an off serving in the SYD First lounge around 2008 - the smell makes me queezy these days)
No actually, realized they have a separate breakfast menu.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
No actually, realized they have a separate breakfast menu.
The breakfast menu has had a great croque monsieur on it before. Excellent taste, texture, and quite filling. Went well with some Rose champagne
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
I've always been in LAX in the afternoon/evening/night, but in SYD and MEL I've had luck requesting (and getting) it at breakfast time, although it has been later in the morning so they may have been prepping it anyway. It has taken a while to come out so can't be done with a tight connection, but it can't hurt to ask.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, I was at LAX early last year at around 7:30pm in the First lounge and they were pre-cooking a batch of some kilograms of S&P squid. (I guess they keep it warm to be served quickly).

Clouds of squiddy/oily steam spilled through the opening of the kitchen into the restaurant area.

I made a hasty retreat to the far end of the lounge.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 15, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.