Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
For access to the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT just one of the following needs to be true:
  1. Non US (not AAdvantage and not Mileage Plan) oneworld Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and operated flight.
  2. AAdvantage or Mileage Plan Emerald departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight NOT solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  3. First Class passengers departing on a oneworld Marketed and Operated flight not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  4. Passengers in First Class on a flight longer than five hours connecting§ to/from an international or domestic short haul (five hours or less) oneworld Marketed and Operated flight and not solely on a "North American* Itinerary".
  5. *Recent Reports Indicate Access via the following Criteria is being Denied with patrons being sent to the Flagship Lounge in T4*: .First Class passengers^ travelling on a three class transcontinental American Airlines Marketed and Operated flight on a designated route (e.g. between Los Angeles & New York).
* A "North American* Itinerary" for AAdvantage elites is travel on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean. A "North American* Itinerary" for Alaska Mileage Plan elites is travel to destinations in the U.S.A., Canada and Mexico (unless they are connecting to or from an international long-haul flight in a premium cabin on the same day).

§ Connecting the same day or before 6am the following day. Such Lounge access is based on the class of services of the long haul flight (First or Business) regardless of the class of travel on the short haul flight.

^ Regarding AA EXP in any cabin. This is a "Class of Service" based access, so status should not be relevant. Rules indicate NO ACCESS unless in First on 3 class transcon, but there had been some contradictory experiences about this. Early on EXP based access had sometimes been granted; not so much these days. Presumably this related to confusion about the rules on behalf of the agents.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, YOUR QUESTION MAY BE ANSWERED HEREIN

Lounge access rules

All non-AA and Non-AS Oneworld Emerald members have access to this lounge on any oneworld itinerary regardless of cabin or final destination.

AA EXP have access when traveling to all destinations outside North America and Mexico City. Includes if pax is flying LAX-DFW-LHR because you are flying internationally that day.

No Class of Service access for domestic F without non AA and non AS Emerald status unless on designated (generally 3-class) flights to JFK and MIA.

Passengers on any 3-cabin AA flight to JFK, BOS or MIA in First Class.

Emirates pax do not have access except for Qantas Platinum One. EDIT: Appears to be that Qantas removed that access criteria from their lounge access page so I wouldn't count on this working.

No access if connecting to a non-Oneworld airline or partner.

Separate tickets within oneworld do not matter other than it has to be same day . E.g. QF F to AA Y on the same day.

To walk from T4 to TBIT will take approximately 10 minutes one way so plan accordingly if visiting this lounge.

More detail here: Lounge Access | oneworld.com

Qantas.com Access Rules, with specific carve-out for transcon markets.

Print Wikipost

Los Angeles / LAX Qantas First Class Lounge [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by mster
I am a Oneworld Emerald ticketed to fly SYD-LAX in economy. Would I have day of arrival QF F lounge access in the following situations?

(1) I book a non-OW flight continuing on same day from LAX and show my SYD-LAX boarding pass
(2) I book a domestic AA flight continuing on same day from LAX on a separate ticket
(3) I book an international AA flight continuing on same day - say from LAX to YVR or MEX

Haven't finalized my travel plans continuing on from LAX yet and didn't find clear info upthread. Thanks in advance!
Canada and Mexico are considered domestic according to American except Mexico City.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:46 am

Passed through this lounge again earlier this week - new fall menu is in full effect ^
Old Sep 7, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Passed through this lounge again earlier this week - new fall menu is in full effect ^
or is it the spring menu??
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Canada and Mexico are considered domestic according to American except Mexico City.
1: No, you must be departing on a OW flight.
2,3: Yes, it doesn't matter where the flight is going as long as it is OW.

Whether the admission agent will follow the rules is another matter.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil

No, AA EXP's don't have access to the QF F lounge when on a domestic or most of North America. Read the oneworld policy.

OTHER OWE have access on any OW itinerary.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:09 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I'm at the QF FCL lounge now. No, they won't stay open beyond 23:30 for the AA flight. Kitchen closes at 23:30 and no hot food served after that.

They will stay until the last flight out, which is CX 881.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:25 am

I am a Oneworld Emerald ticketed to fly SYD-LAX in economy. Would I have day of arrival QF F lounge access in the following situations?

(1) I book a non-OW flight continuing on same day from LAX and show my SYD-LAX boarding pass
(2) I book a domestic AA flight continuing on same day from LAX on a separate ticket
(3) I book an international AA flight continuing on same day - say from LAX to YVR or MEX

Haven't finalized my travel plans continuing on from LAX yet and didn't find clear info upthread. Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by MADPhil

No, AA EXP's don't have access to the QF F lounge when on a domestic or most of North America. Read the oneworld policy.

Depends whether the I am a Oneworld Emerald means I am an AA EXP or I am a non-AA Oneworld Emerald. The replies assume evidence not admitted.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 11:59 pm

Has any non-QF Emerald guested in their entire family? How willing are the matrons to accommodate that?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 1:40 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
They know the rules and stick to them unless you give some reason to deviate. For some of the day the lounge is at capacity so there is good reason to keep numbers down. Much better with the bigger lounge -- I remember when QF had an F lounge at LAX that held 20 people and sent overflow to Air France etc.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum

If you're on a 3 class transcon (to JFK or MIA) then you do have access.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
If you're on a 3 class transcon (to JFK or MIA) then you do have access.
Good point but that's about the only domestic F that qualifies.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good point but that's about the only domestic F that qualifies.
Domestic Y would qualify too. Which is kind of strange given AA won't let its own emeralds into the Flagship lounge on the same routes unless travelling in F.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:20 am

Domestic Y would qualify too. Which is kind of strange given AA won't let its own emeralds into the Flagship lounge on the same routes unless travelling in F.
Read the wiki post please.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Read the wiki post please.

Why?
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver

Why?
Maybe domestic Y travel would qualify if holding non AAdvantage Emerald status ...

... but it is not the domestic Y that qualifies in that case, it is status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.