Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

SYD - DFW schedule confusion for me - please explain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;

So I'm booked on QF7 SYD-DFW in April. Leaves 1:10 pm arrives DFW 1:45.

Went to check the on time history as I have to book a separate award for my connecting flight to MIA.

Currently looks like the schedule for QF7 is departure 3:25 pm, yet arrives 1:45. I also did a check for March and saw it scheduled departure at 2:25 still arriving at 1:45.

so whats up with that. It doesn't appear the aircraft is changing, so why the differences in flight time.

I'm assuming Daylight savings time may have something to do with this. the US changes March 8 and AU april 5th. Although that shouldn't be affecting the length of travel.

Weird. I'm confused.

Last edited by trekker954; Dec 9, 2014 at 5:37 am Reason: spelling fix
Old Dec 9, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald
It is due to daylight savings time. Qantas time it so that it always is scheduled to arrive in DFW at 13:45 (in part) so that onward connections are not changing.

The scheduled time is not the same as flight time. For example, if it is leaving SYD during a busy time of day, they may allow extra time to get airborne. Also, the prevailing winds change based on the season, so there actually can be a variation in average flight time through the year.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by trekker954
So I'm booked on QF7 SYD-DFW in April. Leaves 1:10 pm arrives DFW 1:45.

Currently looks like the schedule for QF7 is departure 3:25 pm, yet arrives 1:45. I also did a check for March and saw it scheduled departure at 2:25 still arriving at 1:45.
Currently, departure is at 1525L (0425Z) and arrival is at 1345L (1945Z), so the scheduled duration is 15:20.

In March, when departure is at 1425L (0325Z), arrival will be at 1345L (1845Z), so the scheduled duration will still be 15:20. This remains in the same IATA scheduling season.

And when you fly in April, when departure is at 1310L (0310Z), arrival will be at 1345L (1845Z) and the scheduled duration will be 15:35. By this time, the new IATA scheduling season will have started and you often see slightly different scheduled durations in different seasons.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Qantas
Since late September 2014, Qantas have been flying the A380 on the SYD-DFW route, this is likely to make a difference to time as well. Regardless of aircraft I would leave plenty of time, I did this flight in late October and we didn't land until 3:30pm, most people missed their connecting flights. fortunately I was flying AA and they were great getting me onto a flight to Nashville that evening.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:18 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Squirrel.Monkey
Since late September 2014, Qantas have been flying the A380 on the SYD-DFW route, this is likely to make a difference to time as well. Regardless of aircraft I would leave plenty of time, I did this flight in late October and we didn't land until 3:30pm, most people missed their connecting flights. fortunately I was flying AA and they were great getting me onto a flight to Nashville that evening.
AA seems to have a "well oiled machine" for handling delays and missed connections at DFW. I recently ran from literally one end of DFW Terminal D (D6) to Terminal A (A37) in 15 minutes to make a connection (not sure if the train would have been quicker). Bags missed the connection but were put on the next flight - and then delivered to my hotel. AA were on top of everything and offered their "sky kit" or whatever it was called with basic toiletries (ie as per F or J amenity kits). Conclusion: don't believe the DFW MCT, allow 2:30 minimum for a lower stress connection.

And, welcome to FT Squirrel.Monkey.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
I have to say, I just got my ExP back after losing it last year and was thrilled to have access to Exp desk yesterday. They really are so helpful.

This upcoming trip to AU in March has been trying to say the least in planning for my daughter and I. I booked almost everything on saver awards last April, but the domestic portions I had to do separate U awards from the QF flights, either I couldn't get P or Z or the domestic AA flights wanted to route me crazy itineraries.

But because I booked so long ago, both my domestic AA flight number/schedules no longer existed. I didn't care for the flight they reschedule me on. And one of the QF domestic connections also had a time change making my connection to Kangaroo Island a little too tight

I got my Exp status back on Sunday and yesterday I called to chat about rearranging four out of five legs for both AU and US. It probably worked out better now. I even moved my QF flights up a day and thought for sure she'd have to redeposit and redeem my account, but nope. She made all the changes, got me decent seats, had all my reticketing done and emailed in about 20 minutes.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by og
AA seems to have a "well oiled machine" for handling delays and missed connections at DFW. I recently ran from literally one end of DFW Terminal D (D6) to Terminal A (A37) in 15 minutes to make a connection (not sure if the train would have been quicker). Bags missed the connection but were put on the next flight - and then delivered to my hotel. AA were on top of everything and offered their "sky kit" or whatever it was called with basic toiletries (ie as per F or J amenity kits). Conclusion: don't believe the DFW MCT, allow 2:30 minimum for a lower stress connection.

And, welcome to FT Squirrel.Monkey.
The SkyLink train would have been faster. OTOH, you revved up your circulation.

The skylink train connects all terminals airside (once one has passed through security). Ten minutes between gates is possible, even in different terminals. "Skylink’s bi-directional system connects all five terminals and is the shortest route to your stop while inside security."
  • Free service
  • Trains arrive every two minutes
  • Average ride time of five minutes
  • Maximum ride time of nine minutes between farthest points
  • Easy access to other terminals’ shops and restaurants

Can be boarded or disembarked at:
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D: Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E: Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 14, 2014 at 9:14 pm
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
There are some instances where walking can be faster but very specific:

With transits between Low (Numbered) B/High D (gates) and Low C/High A, using the secure airside elevated "Moving Sidewalks" is generally more efficient than the train.

But to the point; we once took 10 minutes to get from C38 to D25 after disembarking an hour late using the train (@C32 to @D20) and there was still a substantial amount of walking in that.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:48 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
The brisk walk (slow run ) was no problem for us, but what nearly brought us unstuck was the distance to get from C to A after he passage way between D and C. The airport map is out of scale in that there is a much greater distance between C and A (as well as D and B) than can be reasonably deduced. Hence the walk decision rather than the train.

No DVT that day!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:54 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
IMHO if you show your inbound QF B/Pass and EXP card you would be admitted to the AC (same day international arrival, right?). Just book a longer connection and have a drink or two at the Admirals Club - problem solved

EDIT - sorry - just looked at your profile - you are also AC member - so no need to show the inbound B/Pass

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.