FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Heathrow - Terminal 5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/1267435-heathrow-terminal-5-a.html)

moa999 Feb 3, 2012 2:10 am

who cares what a qf call centre agent in aus/ asia does.
what the ba dragons do in t5 is important

tuapekastar Feb 3, 2012 10:33 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 17942514)
I just called up Qantas and spoke to an agent (3 Feb 2012, 1525h AEST). Access to BA Galleries Lounge T5 is still DENIED. The QF website is also still not updated. Red Roo are you a real representative of Qantas?
If you are, you need to get your IT people to update the website content AND educate your call centre staff on this change.

You were actually denied access? Or just called QF to check and were told it would be denied should you try to gain entry?

If the former then that is not good at all, though possibly just a lounge attendant who was unaware of the 'new' rules, rather than anything more sinister.

If the latter then it is unfortunate that you are receiving conflicting information, particularly if you have an upcoming trip and wish to utilise T5 access. It would not give you a lot of confidence.

I'm quite sure Red Roo would not post such information unless he/she knew it to be correct. I imagine the proof in the pudding will come when someone posts here (or on AFF) that they got access.

TheRealBabushka Feb 3, 2012 6:03 pm

Galleries T5 Access Denied

Originally Posted by tuapekastar (Post 17945709)
You were actually denied access? Or just called QF to check and were told it would be denied should you try to gain entry?

If the former then that is not good at all, though possibly just a lounge attendant who was unaware of the 'new' rules, rather than anything more sinister.

If the latter then it is unfortunate that you are receiving conflicting information, particularly if you have an upcoming trip and wish to utilise T5 access. It would not give you a lot of confidence.

I'm quite sure Red Roo would not post such information unless he/she knew it to be correct. I imagine the proof in the pudding will come when someone posts here (or on AFF) that they got access.

I'm calling to check because an on-line forum entry by a supposed QF representative is not adequate and appropriate evidence to substantiate the claim that Qantas Club members are now able to use the T5 Galleries Lounge.

Taking a gamble and rocking up to the counter at T5 lounges is just not good enough. Especially since I am on the verge of switching my entire international travel plan to SQ/Star Alliance and purchasing an annual United Club lounge pass. I need every dollar to be spent effectively to ensure critical mass on a single FF programme.

In any case it's easier to achieve Gold status with SQ, which now gives me access to DJ lounges. So my domestic travel plans with QF is also in doubt.

For those out there who question this fact, here are some figures (assumption: Y class travel);
SQ: MEL/LHR vv = 21,026 Elite Miles (50,000 Elite Miles for Gold status. Therefore required round trips of 2.378)
QF: MEL/LHR vv = 120 status credits (700 status credits for Gold status. Therefore required round trips of 5.833)

For smarty pants out there; obviously no one will be making 2.378 or 5.833 round trips. This is merely a mathematical representation to quantify attaining status.

I've also used the MEL/LHR on the basis that this sector has a better $ to Elite miles/Status credit earnings ratio.

I suppose one could analyse the cost in dollars of attaining Krisflyer Gold versus Qantas Gold. But considering you need 2.45 times more round trips with QF than you do with SQ to attain Gold status, the difference in total price of flights between QF and SQ would be stark even if you consider forex advantages and choose to arrange for travel itineraries originating from more price competitive ports like LHR or SIN.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Feb 3, 2012 6:08 pm

Agree - but aren't SQ fares much higher in order to receive miles?

TheRealBabushka Feb 3, 2012 6:36 pm

Cost analysis

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF (Post 17948189)
Agree - but aren't SQ fares much higher in order to receive miles?

Hi LHR/MEL/Europe FF,

That depends on the market you're in, due to the demand and supply of each port in addition to the dominant market share of the home carrier.

Generally speaking however, reiterating my point, even if SQ fares are much dearer, given you need 2.45 times more round trips with Qantas to obtain Gold Status, the extra dollars you pay flying SQ would work out to be less than the cost of extra flights you would pay to fly QF.

But I am happy to be proven wrong on this by anyone who wishes to analyse average prices of SQ/QF flights across a realistic time frame.

Dave Noble Feb 3, 2012 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 17948166)
I'm calling to check because an on-line forum entry by a supposed QF representative is not adequate and appropriate evidence to substantiate the claim that Qantas Club members are now able to use the T5 Galleries Lounge.

Taking a gamble and rocking up to the counter at T5 lounges is just not good enough.

Assuming anything other than what the T&Cs state is flawed; even if you did get an affirmative statement over the phone, then you still need to attempt access to get certainty; if they chose to deny access saying "But a QF rep said it was ok" isn't going to cut much ice

Without changing airlines ( unless you want to change airlines ) , flying BA flight numbers LHR-MEL on lowest economy fares will earn 10503 base AA miles each way ( 21006 r/t ) requiring 1.19 trips for gold ( OW Ruby) and 2.38 trips for platinum status ( OW Sapphire )

Ongoing, the earning for AA Platinum will give 100% bonus on the earning

Once platinum, 3 r/ts is enough to get 1 award business return ( and no fuel fines if avoiding BA ) 120k r/t with 42012 earned per trip

This may work out a decent option

TheRealBabushka Feb 3, 2012 8:30 pm

AA may be the way to go...

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 17948608)
Assuming anything other than what the T&Cs state is flawed; even if you did get an affirmative statement over the phone, then you still need to attempt access to get certainty; if they chose to deny access saying "But a QF rep said it was ok" isn't going to cut much ice

Without changing airlines ( unless you want to change airlines ) , flying BA flight numbers LHR-MEL on lowest economy fares will earn 10503 base AA miles each way ( 21006 r/t ) requiring 1.19 trips for gold ( OW Ruby) and 2.38 trips for platinum status ( OW Sapphire )

Ongoing, the earning for AA Platinum will give 100% bonus on the earning

Once platinum, 3 r/ts is enough to get 1 award business return ( and no fuel fines if avoiding BA ) 120k r/t with 42012 earned per trip

This may work out a decent option

Wow! That is excellent! Thanks for that David. I shall go and investigate this!

Now you mentioned flying MEL/LHR on BA will earn 10,503 base AA miles. Does this require flying on BA metal SIN/LHR or can I carry on with QF10 (BA codeshare)? Unlike their lounges, BA Y class is sh*te and I'd rather not spend 13h (SIN/LHR) on a decrepid 747/777 with an inferior product offering.

Dave Noble Feb 3, 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 17948727)
Wow! That is excellent! Thanks for that David. I shall go and investigate this!

Now you mentioned flying MEL/LHR on BA will earn 10,503 base AA miles. Does this require flying on BA metal SIN/LHR or can I carry on with QF10 (BA codeshare)? Unlike their lounges, BA Y class is sh*te and I'd rather not spend 13h (SIN/LHR) on a decrepid 747/777 with an inferior product offering.

As long as you are booked on the BA flight number, it doesn't matter whether it is a Qantas or BA operated flight so can take QF10. Just book it as BA7310

If you want to get status quickly, then do 1st trip on AA ( inc AA codeshare on QF ) and take the platinum challenge. Book a flight in a booking class which earns 1 qualifying point per mile flown ( as opposed to qualifying miles ) and 1 way London-LAX-Melbourne (LHR-LAX on AA ( or AA codeshare on BA if fare allows it) and LAX-MEL on AA codeshare on QF ) will attain Platinum status (OW Sapphire) and earn 21298 spending miles. The flight back will earn 26,754 miles for a total single r/t earning of 48,052 miles

From then on , going BA for 42,012 miles a trip and no worry about lounge access

TheRealBabushka Feb 3, 2012 11:39 pm

David,
Does the AA website have a mileage accrual calculator. Where did you get those mileage details from? Could you please assist.

Thank you.

Dave Noble Feb 4, 2012 12:47 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 17949294)
David,
Does the AA website have a mileage accrual calculator. Where did you get those mileage details from? Could you please assist.

Thank you.

Using the great circle mapper at http://gc.kls2.com/

Earning AA miles on BA is 1 mile per mile flown in economy, so used that

LHR-LAX-MEL is 13,377
LHR-MEL 10,503

For mileage earning to a FF scheme this is not 100% precise and earning may vary by a few miles in either direction but is close enough on that distance

Dave

TheRealBabushka Feb 4, 2012 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 17949189)
As long as you are booked on the BA flight number, it doesn't matter whether it is a Qantas or BA operated flight so can take QF10. Just book it as BA7310

If you want to get status quickly, then do 1st trip on AA ( inc AA codeshare on QF ) and take the platinum challenge. Book a flight in a booking class which earns 1 qualifying point per mile flown ( as opposed to qualifying miles ) and 1 way London-LAX-Melbourne (LHR-LAX on AA ( or AA codeshare on BA if fare allows it) and LAX-MEL on AA codeshare on QF ) will attain Platinum status (OW Sapphire) and earn 21298 spending miles. The flight back will earn 26,754 miles for a total single r/t earning of 48,052 miles

From then on , going BA for 42,012 miles a trip and no worry about lounge access

OMG David! You're a genius!

It really does work switching to the AA FF programme! So if I may summarise my findings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Qualify with AA Platinum by flying MEL/LAX/LHR vv twice (53,516 miles) booking via AA to ensure AA marketed flights and 100% accruals of Base Miles even on the QF operated flights (MEL/LAX vv) on the cheaptest Y class fares.

2) Once AA Platinum is attained, AA Elite Status Bonus miles kicks in allowing doubling of Elite Miles. Consequently doubling MEL/SIN/LHR vv (21,012 miles) to accrue 42,024 miles for just one return trip. Note: Ensure to book MEL/SIN/LHR on BA marketed flights to allow 100% mileage accrual, despite flights being QF operated (Long live the BA/QF JSA!)

3) Accrue remaining 7,976 miles to retain AA Platinum by flying BA market, QF operated flights allowing 100% mileage accrual and Elite Status Bonus. For example MEL/SIN vv (7,498 miles) plus 100% Elite Status Bonus (Total: 14,996 miles)

4) OW Saphire status with AA Platinum. Therefore access to BA T5 Galleries lounge.

5) 500-miles upgrades with AA Platinum, with purchase rate of USD 30 per 500 miles (Do you know exactly how this works for example LAX/LHR (5,456 miles) with AA?
[(5,456/500) x USD30 = USD 333, gives you an upgrade from of your discount Y class seat?]

I do have one other question though with this arrangement; Can you still use Qantas Club (with a valid Qantas Club card) if you are crediting your miles to AA FF programme rather than the QF programme. The QF T&C indicates entry upon showing Qantas Club together with valid boarding pass. There is nothing that says you need to accrue the miles to the QF programme to gain entry. And consequently will the Admiral lounge staff deny you entry at the LAX or LHR Admiral's lounge because the frequent flyer number on your boarding pass (because you're accruing AA miles rather than QF points) does not match the number on your Qantas Club card. Any thoughts?

Dave Noble Feb 4, 2012 1:41 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 17949498)
OMG David! You're a genius!

It really does work switching to the AA FF programme! So if I may summarise my findings. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1) Qualify with AA Platinum by flying MEL/LAX/LHR vv twice (53,516 miles) booking via AA to ensure AA marketed flights and 100% accruals of Base Miles even on the QF operated flights (MEL/LAX vv) on the cheaptest Y class fares.

This is absolutely correct.

However, if you want to fast track it, AA has a Platinum Challenge. You can enrol for $200 and , as long as you book your 1st trip in one of H, K, M, L, W, V classes ( i.e. avoid G, Q, N, O, S ) then on your 1st ONE WAY trip LHR-MEL you can fast track your way to Platinum status and have OW Sapphire immediately. You will need to earn 50,000 miles to renew during the year

$200 to get status on 1st outbound trip seems v worthwhile. this will give u 3 extra one way trips with 100% bonus.

If you are happy using the USA route in general, then 4 trips in a calendar year would get you Executive Platinum status ( OW Emerald ) and 1st class lounge access plus 8 one way systemwide upgrades which would enable you to upgrade 4 LHR-LAX r/ts to business class for free ( other than the the extra UK departure tax )

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka

2) Once AA Platinum is attained, AA Elite Status Bonus miles kicks in allowing doubling of Elite Miles. Consequently doubling MEL/SIN/LHR vv (21,012 miles) to accrue 42,024 miles for just one return trip. Note: Ensure to book MEL/SIN/LHR on BA marketed flights to allow 100% mileage accrual, despite flights being QF operated (Long live the BA/QF JSA!)

Correct. Just avoid QF flight numbers since the lower fares will only earn 50% with some fares being ineligable. Book on BA numbers and get 100% miles plus 100% status bonus

4) OW Saphire status with AA Platinum. Therefore access to BA T5 Galleries lounge.

And all other OW business lounges

5) 500-miles upgrades with AA Platinum, with purchase rate of USD 30 per 500 miles (Do you know exactly how this works for example LAX/LHR (5,456 miles) with AA?
[(5,456/500) x USD30 = USD 333, gives you an upgrade from of your discount Y class seat?]

Unfortunately these are only useable on domestic flights ( and some other North American locations ) so not for LHR-LAX . These would require mileage of 25k plus $350 to upgrade as aplatinum member. If you get to 100k miles and get EXP status then you would get 8 systemwide upgrades which can upgrade LHR-LAX for free

I do have one other question though with this arrangement; Can you still use Qantas Club (with a valid Qantas Club card) if you are crediting your miles to AA FF programme rather than the QF programme. The QF T&C indicates entry upon showing Qantas Club together with valid boarding pass. There is nothing that says you need to accrue the miles to the QF programme to gain entry. And consequently will the Admiral lounge staff deny you entry at the LAX or LHR Admiral's lounge because the frequent flyer number on your boarding pass (because you're accruing AA miles rather than QF points) does not match the number on your Qantas Club card. Any thoughts?

Of course. As long as you have yor membership card, no issue with accessing AA lounges since AA Lounges are accessible with QC membership

If flying BA, the AA scheme is , imo, a lot better value than Qantas for cheap economy travelling; easier to get status and good earnings and generally far better redemption rates ( e.g. SYD-PER r/t in business for 35k vs 72k QF points or LHR-MEL one way in business 120k vs 256k plus £227.00 fuel surcharge ) ... all the ones quoted do have to have genuine taxes added but no fuel fine using AA points

You can find out a lot about the AA scheme in the neighbouring AA forum, but sounds like you might be happy with the scheme change

Dave

tuapekastar Feb 4, 2012 1:45 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 17949498)

I've accessed Qantas Clubs at both MEL and SIN with my QC card when flying a BA marketed and operated flight and at the same time accruing miles to AA, so I don't think you should have any issues. Basically, if you're wanting to access an Admirals Club via a QC card, you simply need to be flying on an AA operated flight (and for BA lounges be flying BA). Where you are accruing points to does not matter AFAIK.

TheRealBabushka Feb 4, 2012 2:17 am

Dave: Thank you so much for your help! You have no idea how excited I am!!!!

tuapekastar: Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

I am on cloud 9...

pandaperth Feb 4, 2012 5:57 am

Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka (Post 17949605)
Dave: Thank you so much for your help! You have no idea how excited I am!!!!

tuapekastar: Thank you for your input. Much appreciated.

I am on cloud 9...

And if you wanted to, or just felt like it - you can turn your return trips into RTW trips:D
See this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...d4000-all.html