Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade - no surprise / surprise

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by nonce
That's fine for personal travel but when the company travel policy says that you must fly Y or Y+ (the latter not actually being available of 330 flights) that is a bit of a difficult statement. I haven't read anyone in this thread saying it should be their right to get free upgrades every time they fly (as we seem to have few CL members that post to FT) but I can tell you what is annoying is to see something like U2 on EF at time of booking but come flight day to not have an upgrade clear. I think what ppl are saying is that the odds need to be a little better than they are for points based upgrades to clear for Platinum FF, especially when a reward flight is available at time of booking but at the same time an upgrade for Platinum cannot be confirmed.

It should be fairly easy for QF to offer Platinums the ability to do confirmed upgrades out of U class at time of booking like UA, NZ and a bunch of others do. This would not change travel policies of companies and would not be a material threat to QF paid J or F travel as of course if you can pay for the class for work or leisure travel you will.

For example, in a few weeks I am flying HKG-LHR in paid J and currently there are two award seats in F but I cannot have a confirmed points upgrade. I would be happy to pay for A class but I am flying SYD-HKG and there is no F so what should I do?
+1
If award seats are available, why are QF making it so hard for their FF customers to spend their points on upgrades? UA and MH are great when it comes to spending my points. No stupid waiting lists. If it's available right there and then, I get the upgrade or award seat confirmed.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: QF WP/LTG, CO Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
This was my experience for my wife and I. We needed to call to register. We did the same last time. If you buy the ticket ex-SIN as we did it is loads cheaper than ex-PER. The fares rules say you can upgrade. Failed both times. The only time I have gained a points u/g was ex-PER on a flexible ticket.
I wonder if, although manually registered for the upgrade, the computer automatically rejects the request at the actual time of the upgrade due to the fare class (N). It is very hard to prove unless you can see a few SG have been upgraded and you have not.

I have questioned QF on this one previously (as I travel on ex SIN fares when travelling on my own money) and they have assured me that the above is not the case but your experience adds to my own that automatic rejection due to fare class does appear to occur.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
I have had I class to F clear and this is under the same constraints, so I would say no, the system is not auto cancelling. In addition during promotion periods I have had E and N clear to J at +2 days. I think it has to do with the fact that there are now a bunch more Platinums flying down the back of the plane thanks to the GFC. Remember the waitlist opens at +90 days and upgrades are awarded based on what date you went onto the list. I also think the list is cleared alphabetically based on Surname. I seem to have far more joy when travelling with my wife whos surname is much higher in the alphabet than when travelling on my own. Other factors include how many seats are available and how oversold down the back is. Much easier to clear 2 PAX from an oversold Y to a way undersold J than do it one by one.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SG Solitaire PPS, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I have had I class to F clear and this is under the same constraints, so I would say no, the system is not auto cancelling. In addition during promotion periods I have had E and N clear to J at +2 days. I think it has to do with the fact that there are now a bunch more Platinums flying down the back of the plane thanks to the GFC. Remember the waitlist opens at +90 days and upgrades are awarded based on what date you went onto the list. I also think the list is cleared alphabetically based on Surname. I seem to have far more joy when travelling with my wife whos surname is much higher in the alphabet than when travelling on my own. Other factors include how many seats are available and how oversold down the back is. Much easier to clear 2 PAX from an oversold Y to a way undersold J than do it one by one.
Our surname is W, so maybe this is why. Will we see an increase in the prevalence of WP's called Aardvark?

Pretty poor Qantas. The underlying point is that availability is poor for points redemption and QF keep their best flayers hanging on until the last minute to see if they get an upgrade.

I have Skywards gold also and last December I booked a points upgrade J to F from PER-DXB for this August! Hmmm.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by astonmartinv8
Our surname is W, so maybe this is why. Will we see an increase in the prevalence of WP's called Aardvark?

Pretty poor Qantas. The underlying point is that availability is poor for points redemption and QF keep their best flayers hanging on until the last minute to see if they get an upgrade.

I have Skywards gold also and last December I booked a points upgrade J to F from PER-DXB for this August! Hmmm.
I would take claims of their being a name bias with a pinch of salt

As far as a skywards upgrade goes, that is the joy of using a FF scheme which allows confirmed upgrades
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:16 pm

It should be fairly easy for QF to offer Platinums the ability to do confirmed upgrades out of U class at time of booking like UA, NZ and a bunch of others do. This would not change travel policies of companies and would not be a material threat to QF paid J or F travel as of course if you can pay for the class for work or leisure travel you will.
It would be easy to offer this to everyone, no reason at all to restrict who they allow to do it and they used to allow it ; in fact upgrades were not only confirmable, but good value with LHR-SYD upgrade economy to business being 50k and business to 1st at 30k if I recall correctly; then again QFF used to be a decent scheme and used to be a frequent flyer scheme
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Really, to me, if an upgrade/redemption seat is available, it should be able to be confirmed from the time of booking/request.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by doctorjosh
Really, to me, if an upgrade/redemption seat is available, it should be able to be confirmed from the time of booking/request.
With QFF they are for domestic flights; it is just a deliberate feature of the Qantas scheme rather than a technical issue that is inhibiting it

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 19, 2011 at 12:15 am
Old Feb 20, 2011, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Based on anecdotal reports, I currently believe points upgrade with Qantas are determined based on the following pecking order:
  • QFF Status
  • Booking Class
  • Time of being a member of QFF.

As far as operational (or "involuntary" upgrades go), the process is apparently manual, however, "Proactive Onload" is searchable here on FT and may shed some light.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
My point is that true FF should be rewarded for their loyality and if QF were to bring back confirmed international upgrades it should be a benefit for Platinum FF rather than a bronze for example booking the cheapest super saver class at 366 days taking inventory out of U class. Why should mr and mrs once a year flyer be rewarded in a frequent flyer program over the poor chump who does between 120 to 150 sectors a year on QF down the back in flexi-saver Y or if they are lucky sale Y+?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.