FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade - no surprise / surprise
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2011, 1:51 pm
doctorjosh

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, MH Silver, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by nonce
That's fine for personal travel but when the company travel policy says that you must fly Y or Y+ (the latter not actually being available of 330 flights) that is a bit of a difficult statement. I haven't read anyone in this thread saying it should be their right to get free upgrades every time they fly (as we seem to have few CL members that post to FT) but I can tell you what is annoying is to see something like U2 on EF at time of booking but come flight day to not have an upgrade clear. I think what ppl are saying is that the odds need to be a little better than they are for points based upgrades to clear for Platinum FF, especially when a reward flight is available at time of booking but at the same time an upgrade for Platinum cannot be confirmed.

It should be fairly easy for QF to offer Platinums the ability to do confirmed upgrades out of U class at time of booking like UA, NZ and a bunch of others do. This would not change travel policies of companies and would not be a material threat to QF paid J or F travel as of course if you can pay for the class for work or leisure travel you will.

For example, in a few weeks I am flying HKG-LHR in paid J and currently there are two award seats in F but I cannot have a confirmed points upgrade. I would be happy to pay for A class but I am flying SYD-HKG and there is no F so what should I do?
+1
If award seats are available, why are QF making it so hard for their FF customers to spend their points on upgrades? UA and MH are great when it comes to spending my points. No stupid waiting lists. If it's available right there and then, I get the upgrade or award seat confirmed.