Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New domestic A330-200 EBO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this still operating on PER-MEL? If I get a glorified Y seat on a long transcon after paying Business, I expect QF to offer some sort of warning or explanation in advance. That is not appropriate for a Business Class seat on such a long flight. What happened to the Skybeds and how do you know if you will get one? Any way to tell from the seat map?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this still operating on PER-MEL? If I get a glorified Y seat on a long transcon after paying Business, I expect QF to offer some sort of warning or explanation in advance. That is not appropriate for a Business Class seat on such a long flight. What happened to the Skybeds and how do you know if you will get one? Any way to tell from the seat map?
Skybed on a four hour flight? They happen occasionally, but are NOT routinely scheduled for this run.

Why do you want a bed on such a short sector anyway?

Dave

Last edited by thadocta; Nov 4, 2011 at 11:53 am
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
That's what domestic business is.

As for the skybeds, the A333's operate QF772/QF773 on Mon, Wed, Fri.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by perthite
That's what domestic business is.

As for the skybeds, the A333's operate QF772/QF773 on Mon, Wed, Fri.
I thought there was a 747 service as well/
Anyway on a daylight flight of that length there really is not need for a Skybed.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Anyway on a daylight flight of that length there really is not need for a Skybed.
They are certainly running 747's SYD_PER, don't think MEL-PER gets it regularly.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:17 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Maybe yes, maybe no. If I come from a long flight I do appreciate a lie flat seat as I will sleep. Heck, I try to get lie flat seats MIA-ORD etc to get 1 hour of sleep.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:45 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
But there is an expectation of leg room and elbow room. Not the reclined back of a seat in your face and the long hair of a hair twiddler dropping in your food when you least expect or want it.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by og
But there is an expectation of leg room and elbow room. Not the reclined back of a seat in your face and the long hair of a hair twiddler dropping in your food when you least expect or want it.
But you do get elbow room, and legroom/pitch well it is not the best. I think the pitch on the Dreamtime 747 was pretty awful as well, but some one told me it is not a domestic First Class product so you can only get one of the two, width or pitch. I sometimes travel TT in Business Class and have not had an issue with recliners in my food, but definitely issues trying to get out of the seat to go to the toliets.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:02 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Drew the short straw last night, seems this all-economy-seating config is still plying the skies between Sydney and Perth. VH-EBP was operating the last SYD-PER on Sunday.

For those unfortunates who thought they had booked into a J cabin, the best seat to go for is the middle pair, as the middle seat in the middle set of 3 seats in J is now blocked. The window-side pairs of "J" seats are normal Y+ seats.

Really if Virgin can install proper J seating in their entire fleet in a few months, you'd think QF could have fixed up these 2 mutants in a year and a half. But no.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by harryhv
Drew the short straw last night, seems this all-economy-seating config is still plying the skies between Sydney and Perth. VH-EBP was operating the last SYD-PER on Sunday.

For those unfortunates who thought they had booked into a J cabin, the best seat to go for is the middle pair, as the middle seat in the middle set of 3 seats in J is now blocked. The window-side pairs of "J" seats are normal Y+ seats.

Really if Virgin can install proper J seating in their entire fleet in a few months, you'd think QF could have fixed up these 2 mutants in a year and a half. But no.
Hardly "all-economy"

I would argue all of QFs domestic fleet (apart from the 747s) is Y+...
These two "mutants" as you put them in my mind are not that bad
- whilst there is an extra seat (now a drinks tray), individual seat width is not that reduce as they have removed 6 inseat monitors
- seat pitch is about the same
- you have gate to gate IFE which you dont't on the other birds.

When/If QF gets the 787s to replace its 767s - aircraft that are again wider, will they be tempted again??? (I note JAL,ANA,United have mostly gone 2x2x2)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
Don't you mean if DJ can refit their 737 fleet with Y+? The DJ seat is essentially a US domestic F seat without a foot rest. The QF new domestic J seat is an international Y+ seat. DJ send a mix of 737 and 332 aircraft to PER so have similar service variations in hard product to QF.

Personally I quite like the dom 332 with the seat as a table. Gives you some extra room to spread stuff out and you have no one sitting next to you.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by nonce
Personally I quite like the dom 332 with the seat as a table. Gives you some extra room to spread stuff out and you have no one sitting next to you.
..whereas the pitch, width and shared armrest of the window-seat feels just like you're sitting in economy.

So the trick is to select one of the two seats in the middle when this config comes up at OLCI, but how to identify it?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by harryhv
So the trick is to select one of the two seats in the middle when this config comes up at OLCI, but how to identify it?
Presence or absence of row 43 in Y seems to be the differentiator.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:40 am

It's Y+ at best. And people are paying up to $1500, one way, transcon on this. What a joke. Why risk it? Fly Virgin.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oneworldplus2
It's Y+ at best. And people are paying up to $1500, one way, transcon on this. What a joke. Why risk it? Fly Virgin.
I disagree it is Premium Economy esentially the same as seat and food offering as International PE but not that Y+ as in just extra legroom a la UA.
For a domestic or trans-Tasman day flight it is more than adequate IMO. However for a night flight I would go for VA's A330, which I have only seen the seats but not sampled the product.
IMO to expect an International Business Class seat is OTT and would undoubtably raise the cost of the fare as fewer seats will be available in the same aircraft. NB I know that an international A330-300 plies the PER-SYD route but the seat count is basically the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.