Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

NH/UA - KUL-NYC - 9918 MYR / $2114 r/t - Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NH/UA - KUL-NYC - 9918 MYR / $2114 r/t - Business

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2024, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, 37.7 CPPQP.

In my spreadsheet, I go with efficiency instead -- the reciprocal. So the UA-only itinerary would count at 93.4% efficient, and this would be 264.5% efficient. For whatever reason, I find I prefer thinking about maximizing value rather than minimizing cost. (I then compute my UA-only overall efficiency factor to estimate the remaining cost to hit 1K).
Ah yes, I slipped a decimal point haha. It's correct in my spreadsheet tracker. Thank you for the correction!

I'd originally started with the efficiency metric as you're using, but then I realized the remaining cost (shortfall) could be variable depending on whether you're flying UA or a partner. I find it easier to track cents per PQP as it also then aligns with other cost metrics (cents per mile on revenue tickets and cents per point on redemptions). Moreover, thinking of 4993 PQP as "36 fewer SEA-EWR segments I have to fly at 137 PQP a segment" is just a weird mental framework for me.

In practice, it appears this year, UA tickets cost 1.18x more than PQP awarded (at least, on K/G fares) so I figure UA internally expects the average 1K to fork over at least $21,240 on 54 PQF or $28,320 via PQP-alone.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:02 am

Programs: OZ *G
Does anyone know why this doesn't price out to be the same?

Old May 23, 2024, 4:49 am

probably HIP
since you're doing a stopover in SFO (i.e. your intermediate point) on the return, they're pricing it as though you're flying SFO-KUL
jsloan and angelyu like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1k
Was hoping to plate this on NH stock w/ both TPAC's on UA. not having much luck.
Old May 23, 2024, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angelyu
Does anyone know why this doesn't price out to be the same?

Spoiler

Prices correctly for me - https://www.google.com/travel/flight...UmNzxMkEwZd9t6

A few MYR different, but less than $50 difference if booked through ANA.

Old May 23, 2024, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Ah yes, I slipped a decimal point haha. It's correct in my spreadsheet tracker. Thank you for the correction!
no problem. Thanks for taking my pedantry in stride.

I'd originally started with the efficiency metric as you're using, but then I realized the remaining cost (shortfall) could be variable depending on whether you're flying UA or a partner. I find it easier to track cents per PQP as it also then aligns with other cost metrics (cents per mile on revenue tickets and cents per point on redemptions). Moreover, thinking of 4993 PQP as "36 fewer SEA-EWR segments I have to fly at 137 PQP a segment" is just a weird mental framework for me.
Fair enough -- and you're absolutely correct. I use the UA number for my projections as most of my travel is domestic. Ether way, we're going to get to the same place: 80% efficiency equals $1.25/PQP.

In practice, it appears this year, UA tickets cost 1.18x more than PQP awarded (at least, on K/G fares) so I figure UA internally expects the average 1K to fork over at least $21,240 on 54 PQF or $28,320 via PQP-alone.
I've found sadly few K fares this year, and maybe one G fare. Domestically, most of my travel ranges around 83-85% efficient ($1.17-$1.20/PQP), with a low of 71.1% ($1.40/PQP!) on a very low K fare. You're getting a slightly better deal because I connect more, so I'm paying more $4.50 PFC charges and $4.80-$5.00 flight segment taxes. However, my overall UA efficiency is at 98.7% ($1.01/PQP) at the moment due to award redemptions.

Originally Posted by james7
probably HIP
since you're doing a stopover in SFO (i.e. your intermediate point) on the return, they're pricing it as though you're flying SFO-KUL
Correct. While it's common to ignore HIP checks on routed fares, it's less common on mileage-based fares like this one, because it would essentially mean a sale fare would be valid for anywhere in the destination country as long as you don't mind detouring through the city they're trying to put on sale (NYC in this case). Although the fare rules allow for free stopovers in the USA, in practice they're very much not free due to the HIP (Higher Intermediate Point) check.

Originally Posted by oblisk
Was hoping to plate this on NH stock w/ both TPAC's on UA. not having much luck.
Why? If you want the TPACs on UA, you may as well book on United.com. You won't have to deal with ANA's website that way. Keep in mind, *A credit is based on the operating airline, and UA, in particular, will use the fare paid for segments it operates regardless of ticket stock. So if you're crediting to UA MileagePlus, if you book the UA-operated flights, you'll get a much smaller amount of PQP than you'd get on the NH-operated flights. (Admittedly, you still get a small boost because you get distance-based earning on the KUL-TYO segment, but it's still a fraction of what you'd get on an all-NH itinerary. Trust me: I had to book a UA-operated return when this fare came up earlier this year, and it cost me 700 PQP).

Originally Posted by cruser1
OP was wondering why it didn't price out < 10K MYR.
Old May 23, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, IHG Spire, Marriot Gold
*Delete* fixed

Last edited by turbox3; May 23, 2024 at 9:33 am
Old May 23, 2024, 10:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
no problem. Thanks for taking my pedantry in stride.

Fair enough -- and you're absolutely correct. I use the UA number for my projections as most of my travel is domestic. Ether way, we're going to get to the same place: 80% efficiency equals $1.25/PQP.

I've found sadly few K fares this year, and maybe one G fare. Domestically, most of my travel ranges around 83-85% efficient ($1.17-$1.20/PQP), with a low of 71.1% ($1.40/PQP!) on a very low K fare. You're getting a slightly better deal because I connect more, so I'm paying more $4.50 PFC charges and $4.80-$5.00 flight segment taxes. However, my overall UA efficiency is at 98.7% ($1.01/PQP) at the moment due to award redemptions.
My SO calls me a flying nerd sometimes and the fact that I understood most of this...well there could be worse hobbies
jsloan and cruser1 like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Prices correctly for me - https://www.google.com/travel/flight...UmNzxMkEwZd9t6

Can you make something like this work with a stopover in YYZ as in Polytonic's posts #22 or 27? I've had no luck so far.

Thanks!
awaywego1 likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Can you make something like this work with a stopover in YYZ as in Polytonic's posts #22 or 27? I've had no luck so far.

Thanks!
I think your best bet is to fly to NYC and then backtrack to YYZ. Youre connecting from a redeye in YYZ onto the first flight to LGA so you could just immediate turn on a separate ticket and be home by lunchtime or maybe early afternoon. Similarly you can separate ticket YYZ-LGA/JFK on the outbound and at the hour the NH flight departs I wouldnt have any concerns with navigating traffic or security. I figure all in cost is probably an incremental $200-300 which is another 200 PQP and 2 PQF or so if plated on 016 stock and you mostly just lose a morning or so. Plus this $21xx fare is cheaper than the $24xx that most of us got in on earlier this year, so youre still ahead in the grand scheme of things.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

If you can't make positioning to KUL work, Tokyo might be easier! - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-business.html
Old May 23, 2024, 10:08 pm

If you can't make positioning to KUL work, Tokyo might be easier! - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/prem...-business.html
I take 90 minutes away from here and missed that AC deal.
goodgirl and cruser1 like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NJSwamplands
I take 90 minutes away from here and missed that AC deal.
That's unfortunate! I didn't expect it to disappear that fast! I thought it'd last about 2-3 hours given the time of day posted (just after the end of the work day on the West Coast).
NJSwamplands likes this.
Old May 26, 2024, 6:16 pm

Hi guys was wondering since the fare rules states that open jaws are permitted, would KUL-NYC NYC - Other SEA work (E.g. SIN BKK CGK)?
Old May 26, 2024, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenapplee
Hi guys was wondering since the fare rules states that open jaws are permitted, would KUL-NYC NYC - Other SEA work (E.g. SIN BKK CGK)?
As long as those fares allow it. The price will also likely be different (higher) because you'll be charged half the round-trip price for a flight from NYC to SIN/BKK/CGK for the return segment(s).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.