Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

NH/UA - KUL-NYC - 9918 MYR / $2114 r/t - Business

NH/UA - KUL-NYC - 9918 MYR / $2114 r/t - Business

Old May 22, 2024, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Warriorconcept
Was debating this until I saw thrifty traveler sent an alert email about it an hour ago and just booked it crediting to UA. FYI can lock the fate for $10 for 72 hours for anyone else that needs to contact their SO first lol
Or you can book and cancel for free in 24 hours.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Thanks. I booked one of these fares earlier this year. I'm actually flying it next week. The annoying thing with this fare is the 2 month maximum.
Originally Posted by turbox3
Almost 5000 PQP. Flying to KUL from the states for a reposition is not exactly ideal though.
Indeed. How are you guys positioning?
Old May 22, 2024, 1:14 pm

Love this, thanks! I wish it works the other way around, haha
cruser1 likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Starting it with EWR-TYO on United with PP applied that should clear, then an intra-asia award flight. Already got a return from TYO with AA miles as well (booked a while ago admittedly).
cesco.g likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cruser1
To me it looks like quite a few departure dates work.
Ah, yeah to clarify, I mean not many dates work into November/December. Lots of availability a little earlier and I was running into some of the same flight combination space issues as outlined in the previous thread. Great find either way!

Originally Posted by cesco.g
SQ has been releasing a fair bit of NYC-SIN award space. I have JFK-SIN and SIN-JFK booked (separately) bookending my itinerary. Cash fare or Excursionist for the SIN-KUL segments.

Edit: to be more precise, I booked KUL-JFK and JFK-KUL one month apart (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and with my award tickets I've formed two separate trips JFK-SIN-KUL-HND-JFK (stopping in Tokyo) and JFK-HND-KUL-SIN-JFK (stopping in KUL/Southeast Asia).
Old May 22, 2024, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
What happens if you book an all ANA trip but book it on UA website? Do you get 5000 PQPs or 2000 PQPs?
Old May 22, 2024, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
What happens if you book an all ANA trip but book it on UA website? Do you get 5000 PQPs or 2000 PQPs?
Booking via UA on a 016 ticket should result in around 1791 PQP or so (per my spreadsheet, taxes and fees are about 15% give or take a hundred or so).

Edit: dummy booking via UA shows a $1978 fare and $138.90 in taxes, so I'd expect to earn ~1978 PQP

--

For those curious about how to maximize PQP, you'd want to force a connection in YVR and YYZ with the TCON segment(s) on AC, preferably widebody with signature service.

Depending on what EWR-BOS earns (probably ~60 PQP is my guess) this should earn around 5724 PQP and 7 PQF. (~0.377 CPPQP)

And for those curious about reproducing this in Matrix:

10/06 KUL-TYO NH
10/07 TYO-YYZ F+ YVR AC+
10/07 YYZ-NYC
10/16 JFK-KUL

Last edited by Polytonic; May 22, 2024 at 4:13 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Booking via UA on a 016 ticket should result in around 1791 PQP or so (per my spreadsheet, taxes and fees are about 15% give or take a hundred or so).

Edit: dummy booking via UA shows a $1978 fare and $138.90 in taxes, so I'd expect to earn ~1978 PQP
Actually, I just tried and I don't think it's possible to book all ANA flights on UA website. So it may be a non-starter.

I need the PQPs, so cannot afford to include any UA segments. I'm just having the worst time trying to use the ANA website. What a nightmare.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:05 pm

Actually, I just tried and I don't think it's possible to book all ANA flights on UA website. So it may be a non-starter.

I need the PQPs, so cannot afford to include any UA segments. I'm just having the worst time trying to use the ANA website. What a nightmare.
It is possible to book all NH segments via UA. Clickthrough via Google Flights works for me, but if you're just after PQP, consider taking a look at my above post that I just edited (and you can get a free stop at home in YYZ).
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

You likely CAN book all ANA flights on UA's website, but it'll likely show UA operated flights first. You should earn PQP's as a percentage of mileage flown on the ANA operated segments and PQP's based on spend for the UA operated segments. If you are looking to maximize PQP earning, book ANA operated flights.

Google Flights should deep-link to ANA's site if you're having trouble, otherwise post the error you're getting here and somebody has likely seen it before.

Last edited by cruser1; May 22, 2024 at 4:28 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

--

For those curious about how to maximize PQP, you'd want to force a connection in YVR and YYZ with the TCON segment(s) on AC, preferably widebody with signature service.

Depending on what EWR-BOS earns (probably ~60 PQP is my guess) this should earn around 5724 PQP and 7 PQF. (~0.377 CPPQP)

Spoiler

This is great! You should be able to book anything as long as one-way mileage from KUL to NYC doesn't exceed 11474 Miles and you don't have more than 2 transfers in Asia and 4 in North America.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by cruser1
This is great! You should be able to book anything as long as one-way mileage from KUL to NYC doesn't exceed 11474 Miles and you don't have more than 2 transfers in Asia and 4 in North America.
Yep! Tinkered with the routing a bit more and there's a lot more AC (P) space into LGA, but I'm not able to force a YTO stopover, at least, not easily. Maybe if I tinker a bit more, but I have to go back to work. I suppose margarita girl could nest a roundtrip LGA-YYZ and self-connect LGA-JFK on the outbound/return segment to KUL.

10/06 KUL-TYO NH
10/07 TYO-YYZ NH116,AC4 YVR AC+
10/08 YYZ-NYC
10/16 JFK-KUL

Old May 22, 2024, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist

Did you try it as multi city on the ANA website ? It's how I booked it today, also gave me some alternate flight options on same day for about $20 a leg (very limited availability, some were 2-5k)
Old May 22, 2024, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, 37.7 CPPQP.

In my spreadsheet, I go with efficiency instead -- the reciprocal. So the UA-only itinerary would count at 93.4% efficient, and this would be 264.5% efficient. For whatever reason, I find I prefer thinking about maximizing value rather than minimizing cost. (I then compute my UA-only overall efficiency factor to estimate the remaining cost to hit 1K).
Polytonic, jhneoh and curlingfan like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:59 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Great fare spoiled by the 2 month max stay restriction. Thanks anyways for the find as always cruser!
cruser1, atojbk and NJSwamplands like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.