Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Icelandair Saga Class: USA to Europe from $779

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
FAQ: Does Icelandair offer lie flat seats? No. Saga class has 40 inch pitch and 20-20.5 inch width. Some data available at Seatguru

Print Wikipost

Icelandair Saga Class: USA to Europe from $779

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nk15
I am just fascinated that they fly nonstop to DEN...
They have quite the US network and even some Canadian flights.

Mostly due to FI, KEF is one of a small group of European airports with common carrier passenger service to 8+ US airports at this time. If it weren’t for the lack of complementary lounge access when not flying FI in Saga, I would probably connect a bit more via KEF.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It amazes me how many doing an eastbound TATL into Europe, especially from the Northeast, can't fathom anything less than a lie-flat seat yet clamour for the upgrades to recliner F on domestic routes.

To put it into perspective, JFK-KEF is similar in distance to JFK-SFO while KEF-LON at ~2.5 hours is shorter than SEA-ORD.

If your preference is for PE on a major US airline, you need to also consider that if your destination is other than the EU gateway, you will be flying a very cramped narrowbody with 27"-29" pitch onward.

At least Saga Class will be a more spacious recliner seat with a better soft product, food & beverage for an equivalent of a USA midcon in domestic F.

Imagine flying JFK-SFO-ORD-SFO-JFK in domestic F for $800. I doubt there would be anyone asking again & again sarcastically if there were lie-flats. At $200 per segment, it is an amazing deal for a September onwards return flight to Europe.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 2, 2022 at 10:22 pm
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:02 pm

That’s because JFK-SFO is a daytime flight. For me, lie flat is for sleeping so I don’t lose a day recovering. It would be great if Icelandair brought back the daytime BOS-KEF. Then economy is fine.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
That’s because JFK-SFO is a daytime flight. For me, lie flat is for sleeping so I don’t lose a day recovering. It would be great if Icelandair brought back the daytime BOS-KEF. Then economy is fine.
How much sleep do you get on a flight blocked at 5h, 50m? There are daytime flights JFK-LHR too. My last JFK-HEL flight was 6h, 45m flying time. I just can't justify $5K+ for 16 hours of flight time on a return. That is over $300 per hour. I sleep just fine in a recliner which I don't recline anyway. To each their own.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 2, 2022 at 10:20 pm
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:53 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Thanks OP.

Thanks to minimal business class award availability these days, paid tickets are the way to go in the short term. I picked up a pair for MrsWT73 and I to Paris.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How much sleep do you get on a flight blocked at 5h, 50m? There are daytime flights JFK-LHR too. My last JFK-HEL flight was 6h, 45m flying time. I just can't justify $5K+ for 16 hours of flight time on a return. That is over $300 per hour. I sleep just fine in a recliner which I don't recline anyway. To each their own.

James
Yes, there are rare daytime flights to Europe, and I've taken BOS-LHR for that reason. It's why I mentioned the daytime BOS-KEF.

How much sleep do I get on a 6 hour overnight on a lie flat to Europe? More than the zero I get in economy (especially if you're tall). Another factor in the flights you mentioned is the difference recovering from a 3 hour time zone difference versus 6. This is just me. YMMV
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
+1. Unless I am departing from the west coast or flying deep in the Middle East from the East Coast slumming it in Economy is no issue for me to Europe. I have slept fine on UA’s and AA’s Premium Economy product so this wouldn’t be an issue for me on RI. All things considered meal service likely would eat up 1 1/2 - 2 hours of your sleep time anyway going to KEF.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by mimiray
I'm trying to do the same thing w a 3 day stopover but departing from NYC. I put "MINCONNECT 48:00" in the extension codes box but I'm not finding anything. I also tried searching with each leg, leaving a few days of separation between KEF and LON.
Could I trouble you to tell me how you got the stopover?
I booked directly on the airline's website. I booked the stopover on the way home to break up the trip and see a new place. I think IIRC jfkeze mentioned above that you can avoid the special luxury tax on departure from London with a long enough stop over in Iceland. There seems to be lots of availability for this flight. Good luck.
mimiray likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:20 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Kmxu
For $800 fare, one cannot ask for lie flat bed and flat bread from Iceland Air. 🤔
Or rather, for $800, one cannot ask for a lie flat bed and flat bread from Iceland Air. It must be one or the other.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
This only earns miles on FI, AS and B6 (link).

The fare (~$800) is actually quite good for a PE seat. The only issue you may have is you can only get the low fare if you take an overnight layover in KEF on one of the legs. Without the overnight layover, the fares get to a bit below $1000. Still a bit cheaper than most true PE fares to Europe. [...]
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Having just been for 7, packing something into every waking moment, were I going for just 3 I'd make sure on one day to see the Golden Circle sights, on your own with a car or via one of the many organized tours. On another, book "The Ritual" at the Retreat Spa on Blue Lagoon to really enjoy the mineral rich geothermal waters in a way that doesn't feel like being in a public pool.
Since you must take an overnight layover (probably on the return) to get this price, what would you recommend Ghoulish for a one-day and one-night itinerary?

Originally Posted by DENQR
I’ve done the flight 4 times DEN- Europe in Saga Class. I’ve always been impressed and love the layover in KEF as customs is super easy-although it’s bed time as soon as you land in KEF. [...]
In terms of connecting at KEF (headed east), an onwards-London flight would be an intl-transit, whereas an onwards-EU flight would be considered Schengen-entry, is that correct? So the latter would involve additional time for immigration, whereas the former would not?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Yes and yes, about passport control check at KEF questions.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
For $800 fare, one cannot ask for lie flat bed and flat bread from Iceland Air. 🤔
Indeed. But for that amount of expense, I can get one-way lie-flat business class seats for TATL travel.

On the way back to the US from Europe, economy class is tolerable enough for me.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 5:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Do they not have lie-flat seats?

tobikosan and bocos like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Do they not have lie-flat seats?
As repeated many times in this thread and elsewhere, Icelandair does not have lie-flat seats on any aircraft. Their "Business Class" is no better than Premium Economy on any other airline.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Are you even using the lie flats, people, especially on day flights? I am often the only one that strips down and puts on comfy sleepwear and brings out my own disposable slippers, lol...Especially on day flights...
Old Jul 3, 2022, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
As repeated many times in this thread and elsewhere, Icelandair does not have lie-flat seats on any aircraft. Their "Business Class" is no better than Premium Economy on any other airline.
It’s better than “Premium Economy” in at least one way. It comes with lounge access — and that makes a difference at KEF if having a longer layover.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:17 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It’s better than “Premium Economy” in at least one way. It comes with lounge access — and that makes a difference at KEF if having a longer layover.
How long do they usually let you stay in the KEF lounge? E.g. Some report Delta is trying to cap it at 3 hours, whereas other report Qatar allows essentially-overnights. (Different airlines with different networks of course.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.