FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   AA HKG-PEK/ICN/TYO-DFW-MEX/GDL/CUN r/t $1,845 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1944645-aa-hkg-pek-icn-tyo-dfw-mex-gdl-cun-r-t-1-845-a.html)

Whodunit68 Dec 14, 2018 1:20 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 30529776)
If you are trying to use an SWU, again the agent should be able to clear just the domestic leg and waitlist the international leg(s).
I would call back and be very specific that you want to clear just the domestic leg, even if the international upgrade is not available. If the first agent can’t help you, ask for a supervisor.

If I interpreted what you are saying correctly, I have never been successful and trying to do this. In fact, the opposite is true. They will waitlist me on the transcon and not even bother with the domestic portion because – and I’ve been told this each time for the last few years – that if I cleared the domestic on an SWU, the eVIP-U will be “marked” as used.
so, I’ve taken my chances each time. I’d love to learn that you are correct for future upgrades. Have you seen this in writing anywhere? I’ve looked for it but I have not found it.

Global321 Dec 14, 2018 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Whodunit68 (Post 30533958)

If I interpreted what you are saying correctly, I have never been successful and trying to do this. In fact, the opposite is true. They will waitlist me on the transcon and not even bother with the domestic portion because – and I’ve been told this each time for the last few years – that if I cleared the domestic on an SWU, the eVIP-U will be “marked” as used.
so, I’ve taken my chances each time. I’d love to learn that you are correct for future upgrades. Have you seen this in writing anywhere? I’ve looked for it but I have not found it.

FWIW - I have had domestic segments clear and waitlisted the international segments. And later the international segments cleared. And if they did not, I would pull the cert - if the fare class was still available - and fly the domestic segment in coach.

Whodunit68 Dec 14, 2018 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 30534186)
FWIW - I have had domestic segments clear and waitlisted the international segments. And later the international segments cleared. And if they did not, I would pull the cert - if the fare class was still available - and fly the domestic segment in coach.

interesting, thanks. I’ve asked every time I called over several years and never any luck.

flyingeph12 Dec 14, 2018 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Global321 (Post 30534186)

In my experience (and I should say that I haven’t used an SWU in the last year, so things there could have changed recently, but I have used mileage upgrades), you can still be waitlisted for the international leg and clear the domestic leg. The SWU will be encumbered—or “marked” as used—and you might have to call in to subsequently clear the other leg(s) if space becomes available (although that’s not unique to this circumstance); nonetheless, clearing the domestic leg does not mean you can’t use the same SWU to upgrade the international legs later.

I have never been able to pull an SWU, though, once a leg has cleared—even if the original fare class was available. Maybe that was something you could do back in the day (or with a high helix score), but I have not been able to do it.

allset2travel Dec 14, 2018 9:18 am

+1. My experience as well.

washeelers747 Dec 14, 2018 11:27 am

Trying to help my friend to join me. deal dead? Couldn't force HKG-LAX-JFK-MIA into matrix...

Tokyoite Dec 15, 2018 12:26 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747 (Post 30535641)
Trying to help my friend to join me. deal dead? Couldn't force HKG-LAX-JFK-MIA into matrix...

find I fare availability on the lax-jfk transcon and you should be able to price it out at around 1950 usd.

washeelers747 Dec 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 30537688)

find I fare availability on the lax-jfk transcon and you should be able to price it out at around 1950 usd.

saw few JFK/BOS-LAX with I fare available but couldn't force matrix to spit them out. it seems deal is dying or AA intentionally dry up I fare class at this moment.

Global321 Dec 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by washeelers747 (Post 30539724)
saw few JFK/BOS-LAX with I fare available but couldn't force matrix to spit them out. it seems deal is dying or AA intentionally dry up I fare class at this moment.

... or given how long this deal has been around, I fare class is simply filling up on this route.

Stacycrow Dec 15, 2018 5:33 pm

Been trying to book for late 2019 and today finally got AA HKG/LAX/MIA/CUN//CUN/DFW/HKG for Oct/Nov. all for $5089.80 AU X 2 Business r/t. Hope we have good Weather in CUN around that time...and very excited to be going to Mexico and thanks OP.

Tokyoite Dec 15, 2018 7:45 pm

Via LAX/MIA and via DFW is very much alive, with sporadic availability
(combination of HKG-LAX/MIA-CUN and HKG-DFW-CUN).
Routing via NYC needs some "bruteforce" trial and error.

rajhyd99 Dec 16, 2018 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tokyoite (Post 30540043)
Via LAX/MIA and via DFW is very much alive, with sporadic availability
(combination of HKG-LAX/MIA-CUN and HKG-DFW-CUN).
Routing via NYC needs some "bruteforce" trial and error.

Can you post some dates or GF links as I am not seeing anything less 3 or 4k

GetSetJetSet Dec 17, 2018 1:19 am

any sample dates? Can't find any avail. Would love to book this.

Tokyoite Dec 18, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 30543927)
any sample dates? Can't find any avail. Would love to book this.

sample. Change dates to something that also shows 1850 dollars.
https://goo.gl/flights/tLCft

Tokyoite Dec 18, 2018 7:02 am

Originally Posted by rajhyd99 (Post 30542287)
Can you post some dates or GF links as I am not seeing anything less 3 or 4k

sample via jfk outbound and via lax then dfw on inbound, ( to maximize miles earnings)
https://goo.gl/flights/S8Zjc