FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Premium Fare Deals (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/)
-   -   AA HKG-PEK/ICN/TYO-DFW-MEX/GDL/CUN r/t $1,845 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1944645-aa-hkg-pek-icn-tyo-dfw-mex-gdl-cun-r-t-1-845-a.html)

nov11 Dec 9, 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by frebay (Post 30515779)
Use expertflyer and check for "C" inventory.

It's actually "A" inventory since this is already a J ticket ;)

Barkinpark Dec 9, 2018 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by stageworks (Post 30513219)
Just booked HKG-LAX-JFK-MIA-CUN-MIA-JFK-LAX-HKG - FOR $1936 - used EVIP's to F and cleared. This will be a nice ride.

Hello stageworks: did you include any stopovers (or overnight transit) in the US? I would like to do a MR like yours but I think my body needs more rest during the trip. Thanks. Do you mind sharing the GF link?

stageworks Dec 9, 2018 12:33 pm

DELETED

stageworks Dec 9, 2018 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Barkinpark (Post 30516163)
Hello stageworks: did you include any stopovers (or overnight transit) in the US? I would like to do a MR like yours but I think my body needs more rest during the trip. Thanks. Do you mind sharing the GF link?

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...02*.USD.192102

flyingeph12 Dec 9, 2018 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by honzeek_cz (Post 30515711)
Is there something I am missing, that if this was issued on BA or AY stock, the distance rather than price rule would apply?

It doesn't matter which airline's stock the ticket is issued on; what matters is how the flight is marketed. If the flights are marketed as AA flights, they will be credited to AAdvantage based on fare, not distance.

flyingeph12 Dec 9, 2018 1:48 pm

So, I was considering combining this deal with an AY J YYZ-HKG ticket, which then made me wonder how good of a deal this actually is for those based in the US (and NYC/east coast in particular). I'm thinking about this from the perspective of someone who would make two (or more) trips to HKG from the east coast next year.

If I'm crediting to AY, no-brainer I would just book AY J tickets to HKG.

Even if I were to credit to AA, the AY ticket would get me (starting next year) ~38,000 EQMs and ~4750 EQDs (25% of 19,000 miles flown) for ~$2600. This ticket would get me ~45,000 EQMs and ~1800 EQDs for ~$1900. Yes, that's a ~$700 difference (and this fare has the potential of upgrading to F), but the cost of positioning to/from CUN (as opposed to YYZ or YUL) cuts into the difference. And the EQDs here are not great. And this fare is less flexible than the AY fare in terms of stopovers and such. Am I missing something? . . .

DrAlex Dec 9, 2018 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by atcanobbio (Post 30514833)
has anyone been able to price this with a stopover in the US? stopover one way or both ways?

This is annoying... It specifically states unlimited stopovers in the fare rules, but any stopovers (in the US) ruin the price. I also noticed there is a minimum 12 hour rule at the destination as well (for those looking to MR). I have also seen PVR as well as CUN, MEX, SJD, & GDL.

TerryK Dec 9, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex (Post 30516389)

This is annoying... It specifically states unlimited stopovers in the fare rules, but any stopovers (in the US) ruin the price.....

HIP rule requires you to pay higher fare but you can keep the routing. For example, if you have a stopover at LAX, you need to pay HKG-LAX fare as it is higher than HKG-CUN. But you still get LAX-CUN in business with no extra charge.;)

DrAlex Dec 9, 2018 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 30516398)
HIP rule requires you to pay higher fare but you can keep the routing. For example, if you have a stopover at LAX, you need to pay HKG-LAX fare as it is higher than HKG-CUN. But you still get LAX-CUN in business with no extra charge.;)

Argh! Forgot about that silly thing. Or maybe it was repression...

washeelers747 Dec 9, 2018 2:57 pm

grr @ phantom fares on google flights. Saw $1900ish for HKG-LAX-JFK-CUN roundtrip but errors came up on payment page. Anyone have same issue? Matrix isn't showing the prices on this routing.

frebay Dec 9, 2018 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK (Post 30516398)

Not really understanding this. So it's possible to add a stopover in but probably need a TA to ticket?

Unionruler Dec 9, 2018 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12 (Post 30516354)
So, I was considering combining this deal with an AY J YYZ-HKG ticket, which then made me wonder how good of a deal this actually is for those based in the US (and NYC/east coast in particular). I'm thinking about this from the perspective of someone who would make two (or more) trips to HKG from the east coast next year.

If I'm crediting to AY, no-brainer I would just book AY J tickets to HKG.

Even if I were to credit to AA, the AY ticket would get me (starting next year) ~38,000 EQMs and ~4750 EQDs (25% of 19,000 miles flown) for ~$2600. This ticket would get me ~45,000 EQMs and ~1800 EQDs for ~$1900. Yes, that's a ~$700 difference (and this fare has the potential of upgrading to F), but the cost of positioning to/from CUN (as opposed to YYZ or YUL) cuts into the difference. And the EQDs here are not great. And this fare is less flexible than the AY fare in terms of stopovers and such. Am I missing something? . . .

The fare isn't primarily meant for people like you ;)
- Origin market is primarily HKG and Asia-based mileage runners
- Destination market is Mexico, people can also go south to Latin America instead of north (let's face it the USA is kinda boring is a holiday destination)
- Optimal credit is to AS, BA, CX for HKG-based...
- CX/AA reverse herringbone is less cramped than AY reverse herringbone

flyingeph12 Dec 9, 2018 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Unionruler (Post 30517107)
The fare isn't primarily meant for people like you ;)
- Origin market is primarily HKG and Asia-based mileage runners
- Destination market is Mexico, people can also go south to Latin America instead of north (let's face it the USA is kinda boring is a holiday destination)
- Optimal credit is to AS, BA, CX for HKG-based...
- CX/AA reverse herringbone is less cramped than AY reverse herringbone

I think you’re right; this fare isn’t really meant for people like me. I guess all the EQD talk is from overseas AAdvantage members. Agreed that AY reverse herringbone is more cramped than AA/CX reverse herringbone, but I do appreciate the (free for AY Plats/Lumos) WiFi across the long haul fleet.

chichow Dec 9, 2018 8:09 pm

AY A350's are also nicer on the body than a AA 77W

Global321 Dec 9, 2018 8:42 pm

How are INT-INT transfers in Cancun?

Thinking... this ticket, land in CUN, fly back out on separate (positioning) ticket to the USA.
Conversely... fly in from the USA to do the return on this ticket.