Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX: Ord/JFK/EWR-MLE $1770-1900; mixed PE and J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by chitink
did this run twice, both times on the return HKG - ORD we were upgraded into J. Asked for the outbound but were told that it was too empty. So our upgrades were because the PE and Y were very full and they wanted to upgrade others into PE.

we did have to ask though, they didn't just give it. We asked at the club and we're told we had to buy up. But asking at the gate and we got it free.
Did the upgraded segments credited to AA automatically, or did you have to fight for it. I read about issues posting eqd/eqm to AA on CX upgraded segments. Supposedly it changes to U fare witch does not earn miles and then it's an uphill battle to get AA credit the flights.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
Both times that CX upgraded me from PE to J in the past year, my AA miles credited as expected for PE with no issues.

Originally Posted by xdaniel
Did the upgraded segments credited to AA automatically, or did you have to fight for it. I read about issues posting eqd/eqm to AA on CX upgraded segments. Supposedly it changes to U fare witch does not earn miles and then it's an uphill battle to get AA credit the flights.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by bobovespa
Both times that CX upgraded me from PE to J in the past year, my AA miles credited as expected for PE with no issues.
Same for me. Everything credited as expected / appropriately within about 5 business days.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:12 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bobovespa
Yeah I did this trip a couple weeks ago. Got the Op-Up from W to J on HKG-JFK the whole trip posted about 5 days after I returned in one shot. Spent a couple days in the Maldives. Nice little trip. The Op Up segment posted exactly right in PE with no fuss.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:50 am

I think the upgrade mainly causes issues when you pay to upgrade, not the Op-Ups.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by olouie
I think the upgrade mainly causes issues when you pay to upgrade, not the Op-Ups.
exactly
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Plt Pro / AA Plat for Life / 2MM
Is a same day turnaround possible at MLE? It would be the same aircraft, but the gap between flights is only about an hour and a half. Also, does anyone know about visa requirements for US citizens in the Maldives?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sjkabak
Is a same day turnaround possible at MLE? It would be the same aircraft, but the gap between flights is only about an hour and a half. Also, does anyone know about visa requirements for US citizens in the Maldives?
Possible but why?

No visa requirements, just enter.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Executive Platinum
Thanks for all the Op-Up / AA credit answers. I decided not upgrade with miles for this reason, but will gladly accept free one
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ckd38
Over $5k EQD and 35.3k EQM if doing the JFK-YVR-HKG-MLE routing.
I'm curious whether routing through YVR will add extra miles since it's the same flight number from JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG. With Star Alliance, this would count as a through fare from JFK-HKG.

I am short 33,700 EQMs to renew AA EXP status, so the YVR stop will make or break the deal for me!

TIA
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm curious whether routing through YVR will add extra miles since it's the same flight number from JFK-YVR and YVR-HKG. With Star Alliance, this would count as a through fare from JFK-HKG.

I am short 33,700 EQMs to renew AA EXP status, so the YVR stop will make or break the deal for me!

TIA
no. unless you stop in yvr and stay for a day
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
no. unless you stop in yvr and stay for a day
Rats, I'll be ~600 EQMs short of 100K. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
This is an interesting mileage run. I have tried to book same day return from JFK and get an error. However if I book openjaw ORD-MLE-JFK while the overnight is in HKG, you can get same day turn in MLE.
Also the 12.55am ETD ex JFK does not appear to combine with Business class HKG-MLE, anyone with luck on this?

Thanks,
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone been able to get this to work while getting the International Airline Program 25% discount from the Amex Plat card? I applied for a card, then called in with my itinerary, and the discount did not come up. Agent speculated it was because I was trying to route through YVR (for the additional miles).

If you were able to get the discount, were you going through YVR?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Has anyone been able to get this to work while getting the International Airline Program 25% discount from the Amex Plat card? I applied for a card, then called in with my itinerary, and the discount did not come up. Agent speculated it was because I was trying to route through YVR (for the additional miles).

If you were able to get the discount, were you going through YVR?
The discount isn't a set 25%. I have only found one fare where it was really good (a one way business class from SFO-TYO). Otherwise the agents generally just find whatever google flights has with some small discounts maybe around 2-5%)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.