Backscatter (aka nude x-ray)

Old Oct 21, 07, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Backscatter (aka nude x-ray)

Had my first experience with the backscatter x-ray at Moscow DME airport last week. I had no idea they had the technology over there. It operates in just the international part. Domestically, you have the option of the x-ray or a normal metal detector and pat-down.

The people looking at the x-ray (all women in their late 20s) are behind a closed desk and cannot easily see the people as they pass through. But passers-by can see what is going on if they linger.

I stood there and watched the results for a few minutes - and all I can say is OH MY WORD. The images leave absolutely nothing to the imagination - and I do mean nothing. After a few minutes of watching this we were abused by the security and ordered to move on. Pity, as it was actually quite interesting

I presume what they have in Russia is the "uncensored" version, whereas the one they are looking at installing in the USA is the "censored" version.
Old Oct 22, 07, 2:12 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by MilesDependent View Post
I presume what they have in Russia is the "uncensored" version, whereas the one they are looking at installing in the USA is the "censored" version.
Which means that the uncensored version is held by all of these machine in a format that can be saved for future viewing.

Pedophiles the world over will delight in Edmund Summers Hawley's stupidity.
Old Oct 22, 07, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by HeHateY View Post
Which means that the uncensored version is held by all of these machine in a format that can be saved for future viewing.

Pedophiles the world over will delight in Edmund Summers Hawley's stupidity.
The article I read about the body scan machines say the pictures are "completely and instantly" deleted.
Old Oct 22, 07, 8:53 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by mmartin4600 View Post
The article I read about the body scan machines say the pictures are "completely and instantly" deleted.
I don't believe that for a New York Second.

They have to have some way to get the image out and use it for prosecutorial purposes. And for auditing purposes. And for testing the system. And to justify the terminal dump that will happen when they think they miss something.
Old Oct 22, 07, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Ya know -- every time I read about this technology I think about this movie.
Old Oct 22, 07, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer View Post
I don't believe that for a New York Second.

They have to have some way to get the image out and use it for prosecutorial purposes. And for auditing purposes. And for testing the system. And to justify the terminal dump that will happen when they think they miss something.
Oh good point! You know..... anything to keep us SAFE ....
Old Oct 22, 07, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bzbdewd View Post
Oh good point! You know..... anything to keep us SAFE ....
... anything to keep "us" feeling safe.
Old Oct 22, 07, 9:22 am
Pit

Programs: AA Plt, Hyatt Dia
Does this mean I can finally buy a pair of those X-ray glasses in the back of Boy's Life?
Old Oct 22, 07, 12:23 pm

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Believe that, I have some swampland for you

The Government of the United States says "the pictures are "completely and instantly" deleted."

The Government of the United States says "Safety precautions are in place which make it IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally fly live nuclear missiles across the US without anyone knowing about it."

A government that can lose six atomic bombs can be trusted to NEVER EVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES lose a single .jpg file?

Yea. Right.
Old Oct 22, 07, 9:32 pm

Kinda like "deleting" a file on a Windows based system "deletes" it, right?
Old Oct 22, 07, 10:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles, USAir, Singapore, BA
Anybody got a spec sheet on one of these machines?

A quick horseback calculation based on disk storage space would yield a pretty good guess of how many images they are expected to preserve.
Old Oct 22, 07, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Oh yes, Indeed. I can actually see new backscatter machines. Do you know which terminal is that in PHX? Is that even terminal 2 or 4? I don't know which checkpoint is that at terminal 4? I think it is C or D concourse. Can you guys find out which specific terminal is already installed new backscatter machines.

Search this Thread