Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Tightening the screws: Security technology will be tested at new Bay airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:17 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

LINK

Warfare Center??

Bay County’s new airport will serve as a test site for security innovations made by Naval Surface Warfare Center-Panama City and implemented by the Transportation Security Administration, officials said. The project, known as TSA’s Advanced Technology Evaluation Center, will begin at the current airport but will be fully realized at the new airport in West Bay.

“The primary objective of the Advanced Technology Evaluation Center is to install, test and evaluate cutting-edge technologies at the Panama City-Bay County International Airport, which will enhance security and safety for airport operations, airline-industry employees and passengers,” Navy officials said in a news release.

One joint project is designed to enhance perimeter security, said Sari Koshetz, spokeswoman for the TSA.

The new security system will use wireless cameras, sensors and motion-detection devices to monitor the fence line of an area, Koshetz said. The information gathered by these devices then will be sent to a central operation center.

The technology will “enhance law enforcement’s ability to react immediately with real-time information,” Koshetz said.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
DO they just mean perimeter security? If so, that makes sense. But I didn't think that this was TSA's responsibility, it's the airport police's, right?
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Andy1369
DO they just mean perimeter security? If so, that makes sense. But I didn't think that this was TSA's responsibility, it's the airport police's, right?
Depends on the airport management. Some managers just let the TSA have their way and do whatever mandate they want - others will fight them tooth and nail and do their best to keep them under tight control and scrutiny.

My guess - some very large grants were handed out to finance the new airport in exchange for letting the TSA have its way with their airport.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Perimeter security is under TSA
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:07 am

I have no problem with TSA being fence watchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.