Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Have you decided to fly less to avoid TSA harrassment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you decided to fly less to avoid TSA harrassment?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Superguy
It's not all TSA's fault. Airlines have done their fair share of gutting service to the bone as well.

That said, is it really worth it to get harassed only to receive poor service on a flying bus anymore? I think folks would be more willing to put up with one or the other, but not necessarily both at the same time.

As for vacations, there are plenty of places I can go that are easy to drive to and can be just as fun as going some place far.
I guess I just don't see how a few minutes of annoyance is the deciding factor in making plans. I'm going from OAK to SAN next week. I could easily drive that, spend 6-7 annoying hours in the car or fly and spend 15 annoying minutes going through security and be there in an hour. Maybe I am just not as easily bothered?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by horse glasses
I guess I just don't see how a few minutes of annoyance is the deciding factor in making plans. I'm going from OAK to SAN next week. I could easily drive that, spend 6-7 annoying hours in the car or fly and spend 15 annoying minutes going through security and be there in an hour. Maybe I am just not as easily bothered?
A few minutes is one thing. I wish it were only that. 20 minutes is a *great* day at BWI, with lines sometimes reaching 1-1/2 hours - just to clear security. Add the 1 hour advance wait at a WN gate, plus the trip time, plus the 20-30 minute ferry time from the garage or rental car return, and a 4 hour trip in a car makes more sense than loading into a big metal mailing tube.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Everyone has different threshholds and if it doesn't bother you, that's your call. I wish security only took me 15 minutes to get thru ...
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
A few minutes is one thing. I wish it were only that. 20 minutes is a *great* day at BWI, with lines sometimes reaching 1-1/2 hours - just to clear security. Add the 1 hour advance wait at a WN gate, plus the trip time, plus the 20-30 minute ferry time from the garage or rental car return, and a 4 hour trip in a car makes more sense than loading into a big metal mailing tube.
Airport Fastpark is great for parking and won't have you waiting very long at all. 10 minutes tops from the time I park.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:45 pm

Everyone has different threshholds and if it doesn't bother you, that's your call. I wish security only took me 15 minutes to get thru ...
It's not always 15 minutes, and I definitely get annoyed when it isn't (like early Saturday mornings, ugh!). As a Pennsylvania native, there's probably nothing the TSA could do to make me prefer driving on California freeways instead of flying .
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by nigelloring
Has anyone else changed their travel plans because of dislike for TSA behavior?
Nope. I generally don't have a choice with my job.

I've just learned to adapt.

But I'm sure I'd be singing a different song if my usual departure point was LHR or some other equally painful airport.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a Pennsylvania native, there's probably nothing the TSA could do to make me prefer driving on California freeways instead of flying .
Don't know which party you grew up in, but I'd take a California freeway over Pittsburgh's Parkway any day.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:44 am
cpx

Programs: Many

Its not just the TSA and DHS, but the people who put up with their
scam.

If enough people refuse to put up with this circus and reduce their
flying, we would see some change for the better.

TSA and DHS is digging more and more into our personal matters
and there is no end to this in sight. All this based on *gut* feelings
and assumptions that a *bad guy* will use his/her own name to
travel.

We are wasting billions of dollars in the name of security, while the same
money could be used to improve the security.. like scanning
cargo that goes on the plane.

By putting up with this, you are just letting this useless system get
out of control and violate our rights.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:57 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The terrorists have already one. The only way this is going to change is if the airlines lose money AND they know that it's because of TSA's and DHS's idiocy that people are flying less than they used to. They lose money, they get pissed, and they get the government to fix it because they have the bucks. Money talks.
The moment the airlines realize they are losing money because people fly less, the TSA will dish out a documentary about how people fly less because they don't feel the security is good enough, and conclude that now also persons must pass through the X-ray machine, head first. First they need to take themselves out of their bags (i.e. clothes), of course.

HTB.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 9:22 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by htb
The moment the airlines realize they are losing money because people fly less, the TSA will dish out a documentary about how people fly less because they don't feel the security is good enough, and conclude that now also persons must pass through the X-ray machine, head first. First they need to take themselves out of their bags (i.e. clothes), of course.

HTB.
Backscatter X-Ray scanners are not far away.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by htb
The moment the airlines realize they are losing money because people fly less, the TSA will dish out a documentary about how people fly less because they don't feel the security is good enough...
Airlines are not losing money because the total number of people flying is less. This is likely to be a record year, or close to it.

Those of us who are flying less represent an unmeasurable blip on the radar and the airlines couldn't care less. Principle is it's own reward.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I could easily drive that, spend 6-7 annoying hours in the car or fly and spend 15 annoying minutes going through security and be there in an hour.
An hour after you take off, x hours after you actually left home.

But if driving annoys you that much, flying would be the lesser evil I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, US Air Dividend Miles
I'm not flying less, but I won't fly out of our small local airport ever again. You have a choice of one airline (Delta) and flights are more often than not, late or cancelled. Top that with TSA's over-zealous screening, and you can just leave me out of it! Instead, I drive an hour so I can fly out of a larger airport with more options and less hassles.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:39 am

Don't know which party you grew up in, but I'd take a California freeway over Pittsburgh's Parkway any day.
Ok the parkway, I understand.

But I'm from a little ways north in the sticks. Good old 79 and 19 were all I had to deal with.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
An hour after you take off, x hours after you actually left home.

But if driving annoys you that much, flying would be the lesser evil I guess.
I live maybe 20 minutes from SFO, OAK or SJC. I guess I am lucky? Ha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.