Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Have you decided to fly less to avoid TSA harrassment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you decided to fly less to avoid TSA harrassment?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by n5667
You put toilet paper on your airplane cushion?!
lol misread that. Pants down got me.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:02 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I have... if a client wants to meet with me, they can come to San Juan. I'm in Miami at the moment, and I'm not looking forward to Friday.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No I don't fly less to avoid TSA harrassment, although I do fly less in/to/through USA to avoid immigration harrassment.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Definitely I avoid flying in the USA! I just tried visiting for the first time since 2001 last month -- naïvely I thought they must dealt with the problems by now with all the attention they have been getting, e.g., putting Ted Kennedy on the "selectee" list. If anything, things were worse. Fortunately, most of my US trips can be done overland from a neighbouring country -- have had a few trips to Michigan -- I flew into Toronto and went by train/bus from there -- and to Boston -- flew into Montreal and bus from there and Albuquerque -- flew Mexico-Cuidad Juarez and then taxi/bus. But this fall I have to go to Research Triangle, North Carolina. A little tricky but I think I have it figured out -- Virgin Atlantic to Freeport, Bahamas, then the ferry to Ft. Lauderdale and train to Raleigh!

I always ask the TSA -- how is it that every OTHER country in the world can protect their air passengers without harrassing/intimidating them but you cannot? They never have an answer.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I can't WAIT until I get fully moved and off the weekly commute. The TSA issues are only part of it - the other part is the (seemingly weekly) disruptions at the major hubs (in one case, caused by the TSA).
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I do continue to fly, except to/through the UK due to their inane 1-Bag rule.

I also make it a point to file regular complaints to the TSA for their asinine policies, challenge any TSO who breaks the rules, and educate anyone else I know who is flying about how stupid the TSA really is.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I'm not disagreeing with anyone that TSA practices can be incredibly unnecessary, but I find it ridiculous that would be THE reason to fly less. Why would you not make a trip you want/need to go on because of a few annoying minutes in your life? It's not like it's going to acheive anything, except you not going where you want to go.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by horse glasses
I'm not disagreeing with anyone that TSA practices can be incredibly unnecessary, but I find it ridiculous that would be THE reason to fly less. Why would you not make a trip you want/need to go on because of a few annoying minutes in your life? It's not like it's going to acheive anything, except you not going where you want to go.
It's not all TSA's fault. Airlines have done their fair share of gutting service to the bone as well.

That said, is it really worth it to get harassed only to receive poor service on a flying bus anymore? I think folks would be more willing to put up with one or the other, but not necessarily both at the same time.

As for vacations, there are plenty of places I can go that are easy to drive to and can be just as fun as going some place far.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:24 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by horse glasses
I live in a Caribbean Island. To be completely fair, I'd rather stay in Puerto Rico than go to the mainland. I'm certain most of my clients would prefer to go to Puerto Rico as well rather than have me bill them for travel to visit them

Especially those from anywhere it snows come Winter
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
It's not all TSA's fault. Airlines have done their fair share of gutting service to the bone as well.

That said, is it really worth it to get harassed only to receive poor service on a flying bus anymore? I think folks would be more willing to put up with one or the other, but not necessarily both at the same time.
I'd agree with that. I moan and groan and make up any excuse I can not to fly. I sincerely doubt I'll make any type of status this year.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
I'm flying less than last year, but still quite often. I guess for me, its just that I enjoy it a lot less. The Kippie bag I can tolerate, since I just pull the bag out of the front pouch of my rollaboard (though I very much disagree with). The shoe carnival and electronics nonsense is what really gives me red-bum. I mean honestly, the X-ray machine can't see through my nylon Targus bag? Seriously.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Add the weather and you've got a triple-play. Mrs GHF was supposed to be landing at DCA right now... she has not even left the ground at MCI yet.

Better than 50% of my flights this year have encountered long delays or cancellations, between TSA, airline issues (crew or mx), or weather.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Add the weather and you've got a triple-play. Mrs GHF was supposed to be landing at DCA right now... she has not even left the ground at MCI yet.

Better than 50% of my flights this year have encountered long delays or cancellations, between TSA, airline issues (crew or mx), or weather.
I think ATC has a lot to do with it too. When I did BWI-SLC 2 weeks ago, we pushed back and were taxing to the runway when we got sent to the penalty box. ATC revoked our clearance and wouldn't let us proceed for some reason. Several other planes came and went too. After about 30 minutes, we got to leave.

Coming back we hit weather as we began to approach BWI and had to go around it. That added 40 minutes to the flight.

Super
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:12 pm

I think ATC has a lot to do with it too.
The conspiracy theorist would posit that the FAA/ATC are in cahoots with the airlines on the user-fee issue....
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
The conspiracy theorist would posit that the FAA/ATC are in cahoots with the airlines on the user-fee issue....
lol

I tend to agree with Michael Boyd's assessment that our system is overtaxed with a lot more flights and very old tech.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.