FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Have you decided to fly less to avoid TSA harrassment? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/723193-have-you-decided-fly-less-avoid-tsa-harrassment.html)

nigelloring Aug 8, 2007 9:31 am

Have you decided to fly less to avoid TSA harrassment?

Next weekend, I am traveling ORD-MSP-MCI-SPI-ORD. I would like to do at least the first two legs by plane, but I'm so sick of the TSA:

1. asking me to put my clean suit jacket into those filthy bins,
2. insisting that I participate in the shoe carnival even though I have a medical condition which prohibits me from doing so,
3. encouraging general power trips from TSOs, by providing next to zero accountability in the system

that I've decided to drive 8 hours ORD-MSP on Friday night, drive another 8 hours MSP-MCI on Saturday, drive another 11 hours MCI-SPI-ORD on Sunday.

The recent thread about some TSOs telling everyone that all electronics need to be removed just makes my decision easier.

Also, I have a business meeting next Tuesday which I would normally fly out Tuesday morning for, but now I feel I need to fly out Monday evening to give me an evening to relax from the awful TSA experience.

Has anyone else changed their travel plans because of dislike for TSA behavior?

Superguy Aug 8, 2007 10:19 am

A lot of my travel was reduced due to changing jobs. However, my discretionary travel has dropped as TSA harassment has increased. I opt for more local trips, flying only when I can't get there any other way.

I told UA that, but they didn't seem to care much and said they supported TSA's idiocy.

coachrowsey Aug 8, 2007 10:24 am

I changed my travel habits a long time ago.

voop Aug 8, 2007 10:53 am

I started avoiding going to the US (I'm EU based) except when really really necessary. Down from about ~12 visits/year to about 1, taking my business with me and out of the US.

Instead, I've developed profitable business-relations in the far east, where visitors are greeted and treated as friends, not as foes.

And yes, it's due to the harassment by the TSA service staff.

MKEbound Aug 8, 2007 11:06 am

Yes. I still fly a lot but less.

cpx Aug 8, 2007 11:13 am

I've cut the number of trips significantly. Pre-9-11-2001 I used to
average 55+ trips a year, I've reduced it over the years to about
10-15 trips a year now. Significant % reduction came after the
shoe carnival and liquid ban.

I've managed to maintain my airline/alliance status due to long haul
international flights.

Lurker1999 Aug 8, 2007 11:49 am

No because then the terrorists really would win. As insufferable as all of this farce is I'm hoping that we'll all come to our collective senses eventually.

iCorpRoadie Aug 8, 2007 11:56 am

No, I now fly more and just give them back what they dish out at times :P

Superguy Aug 8, 2007 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999 (Post 8196622)
No because then the terrorists really would win. As insufferable as all of this farce is I'm hoping that we'll all come to our collective senses eventually.

The terrorists have already one. The only way this is going to change is if the airlines lose money AND they know that it's because of TSA's and DHS's idiocy that people are flying less than they used to. They lose money, they get pissed, and they get the government to fix it because they have the bucks. Money talks.

Wally Bird Aug 8, 2007 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by cpx (Post 8196360)
Significant % reduction came after the
shoe carnival and liquid ban.

Ditto. I have flown but once domestically since then (well, twice if you count coming back too :) ).

I'm fortunate that, barring a family emergency, there is nowhere I have to be in a hurry; and I still enjoy driving even though it probably ends up costing me more due to en route accomodations etc. Worth it not to be vetted / examined / approved by a gubmint worker ^ .

dw8146 Aug 8, 2007 12:01 pm

I flew 90,000 miles last year, this year it has been zero since March 30th. I probably won't even make silver status this year. TSA is solely responsible for my decision not to travel. I refuse to subject myself any longer to the rules and procedures as dictated by the TSA that do nothing to increase my safety.

Perhaps if the main stream news outlets started doing more to highlight just how ineffective TSA is, and the negative impact they have on the decisions people make to travel by air, then maybe we'll see a change for the better. One can hope, right?

Wally Bird Aug 8, 2007 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 8196682)
The terrorists have already (w)on.

No, they didn't win; we lost.

In soccer terms, what's called an "own goal".

world_citizen Aug 8, 2007 12:03 pm

No, haven't changed my plans or avoided the airlines all together due to tsa. I mean if you gotta get somewhere you just have to suck it up and deal with them. But I do agree...they are getting rather ridiculous.

cpx Aug 8, 2007 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 8196697)
I'm fortunate that, barring a family emergency, there is nowhere I have to be in a hurry; and I still enjoy driving even though it probably ends up costing me more due to en route accomodations etc. Worth it not to be vetted / examined / approved by a gubmint worker ^ .

I drive less too. The more I drive.. more money goes into the pocket of
people who support the current government. I bike more these days. :)

vassilipan Aug 8, 2007 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy (Post 8196682)
The terrorists have already one. The only way this is going to change is if the airlines lose money AND they know that it's because of TSA's and DHS's idiocy that people are flying less than they used to. They lose money, they get pissed, and they get the government to fix it because they have the bucks. Money talks.

The airlines are not losing money; they found ways to make money by cutting virtually all amenities, trimming flight schedules, packing aircraft as full as they can, etc. This puts added stress on travellers, which, when coupled with TSA's idiocy makes air travel extremely unpleasant.