Wiki Posts
Search

New rule to inconveniece Europeans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DogHead
God help America if it choses to treat friends and allies in such a way. With such an attitude there won't be any left quite soon.
Isn't there only 2 left? Both of which have upcoming elections ...
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I wish countries would take USA to WTO on the grounds hampering business travel in this way is anti-trade.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I hate to play the devils advocate here, because I think this is as stupid as everyone else... but what about all the countries who require visas for US and other citizens to enter, like China. No one is screaming about that, but going to China with no notice isn't a lot easier unless you live in a city with a consulate.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
God help America if it choses to treat friends and allies in such a way. With such an attitude there won't be any left quite soon.
It's amazing to me that Canada and Mexico put up with us.

What bothers me is that if this is the way elected officials choose to deal with "foreigners," what do I as a natural citizen have to look forward to?
Moderator, Hilton Honors

The difference is supposedly US allows free travel from "trusted" countries - ie visa waiver.

Also many countries have visa on arrival or special expedite facilities if need a visa in a hurry. This new system appears to have no way to speed up the process.

Originally Posted by dvs7310
No one is screaming about that, but going to China with no notice isn't a lot easier unless you live in a city with a consulate.
First of all China is a communist country and USA (allegedly) free democracy so there's subtle difference.
Also, remember that if you travel on business to China you could apply for multiple entry visa and even chinese commies won't demand 48hrs notice prior to your travel.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by essxjay
What bothers me is that if this is the way elected officials choose to deal with "foreigners," what do I as a natural citizen have to look forward to?
Once all foreigners are banned from travelling to USA it is only a small step for US to prevent their own citizens from leaving. As I said - fortress america
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Once all foreigners are banned from travelling to USA it is only a small step for US to prevent their own citizens from leaving. As I said - fortress america
Statistically Americans are very travel-shy to foreign destinations, so such a ban wouldn't be met with massive protest.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Statistically Americans are very travel-shy to foreign destinations, so such a ban wouldn't be met with massive protest.
And there are a lot of people in the US (and I suspect the Administration) that would be just as happy if US citizens never traveled outside the country.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:23 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Yet Another Example of Government Stupidity

48 hours notice for a business person coming to the US????

Oh, but if you want to sneak across our southern border by the millions that's ok?

What kind of nonsense is this? Frankly until we secure the southern border, all the rest of this stuff is just an example of small bureaucratic minds reasoning their way to nonsensical results.

We are systematically alienating our friends with this kind of nit picking stupidity. Let's use common sense. And forget political correctness. Profile the heck out of people where common sense dictates, stop hasseling people whose visits we should covet, and keep out the illegals from our southern border (all of them).
Old Aug 4, 2007, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
something tells me there are gonna be BIG problems in distinguishing a 48 hour business traveller from a non 48 hour business traveller who aboslutely must get to the u.s. wonder what's gonna happen when someone has to get to ny or lax from the eu asap as their child (or other family member) has been critically injured in an accident. "oh, i'm sorry you must give us 48 hours notice before you can see you critically injurured son/daughter. just another step backwards in this wonderful world of kip-lock baggies aka modern technology .
Old Aug 4, 2007, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Already feared (from upthread):

Not to mention having DHS do checks/approvals for travelers leaving the U.S.

I smell significantly restricted if not well-nigh closed borders in my lifetime.

I know some think it's hysterical, but ::sigh::
Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by Roger
Quote:

Using the dubious rationale prevailing in Washington...
No, No, No...Its "dubya-ous rationale". @:-)

Craig
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Already feared (from upthread):

I know some think it's hysterical, but ::sigh::
The old Taco Bell Slogan "Run for the Border" may take on a new significance.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 11:30 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
First of all China is a communist country and USA (allegedly) free democracy
China is communist? It's communist like the DPRK is democratic. At least the USA doesn't call itself a democracy (does it)? Otherwise I agree.

Just try getting a US visa in 24 hours. Stupid US/us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.