Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New rule to inconveniece Europeans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Milage Plus 1K. Lots of hotel Gold.
Exclamation New rule to inconveniece Europeans

See this article.

This must be a precursor to having DHS do background checks and approve travellers to the US.

Western European business travellers will be forced to give 48 hours’ notice of their plans to visit the US under legislation signed on Friday by President George W. Bush.

The bill, aimed at bolstering security against terrorism, also requires the screening of all air and sea freight at foreign ports before being allowed into the US.

The measures were among the recommendations made by the commission set up to investigate the September 11 2001 terrorist attacks on the US.

Mr Bush said: “This legislation builds upon the considerable progress we have made in strengthening our defences and protecting Americans since the attacks of September 11 2001.”
Old Aug 3, 2007, 4:40 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Also from that article:
The bill, aimed at bolstering security against terrorism, also requires the screening of all air and sea freight at foreign ports before being allowed into the US.
Good idea, but they need to implement it domestically too.

“After Madrid, London and Glasgow, there can be no doubt that there are lethal and committed Islamic terrorist cells active all across western Europe,” said Dan Stein, president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform. “Many of these terrorists are citizens of those countries and under the visa waiver programme they can easily enter the US with no prior screening.”
Glasgow, lethal? The only person who died was the driver.

Anyway, how's 48 hours screening meant to find potential terrorists where the UK police have failed?

“Obviously, it’s a big inconvenience” said Filippo Pandolfini, a London-based investment banker at JPMorgan, referring to the 48-hour measure. “You never know when you have to travel for business, plans can change”. He later added that many would support the measure if it helped shorten queues at immigration on arrival.
The question is what arrangements will need to be made for those who need to travel on short notice.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
This is insane.

No terrorists will ever be clever enough to both plan ahead more than 2 days and not get detected by our lists. Next step for fortress america is put everyone on the no fly list.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I would not be surprised if some other country does the same thing to us as retaliation. As much as I love being an American, I would be delighted to see another country (like the UK) do the same thing to us to make a point, kind of what Brazil does (or did?) to us with their immigration procedures.

- Pat
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Quote:
“After Madrid, London and Glasgow ... "

Oklahoma City, anyone?

Using the dubious rationale prevailing in Washington, how can Americans be protected from Americans?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Roger
Quote:
“After Madrid, London and Glasgow ... "
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!"

Old Aug 4, 2007, 10:39 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
well, since the no-phly list doesn't work, why not add something else to grow unchecked and out of control. instead of making things more efficient, our governmet has found yet another way too screw up a free lunch.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
"Visits to the US from countries other than Canada and Mexico have fallen 17 per cent since 2000, in spite of a 20 per cent increase in cross-border travel elsewhere in the world."

It is the US "We're Number One" attitude. Here, it is "We're Number One at Chasing Away Foreign Visitors." The US tourist industry will get another negative hit over this one.

IIRC last minute full fare C and Y tickets are a major income source for airlines. Are they screaming yet? This law closes sales 48 hours before departure. The only one who could buy a tic would be a US citizen, but 99.9% overseas already have a return ticket. What will the airlines do, firesale the last seats on the plane for $50 to broke US backpackers who need to get home?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by jello2594
This must be a precursor to having DHS do background checks and approve travellers to the US.
Not to mention having DHS do checks/approvals for travelers leaving the U.S.

I smell significantly restricted if not well-nigh closed borders in my lifetime.

# # #
Originally Posted by browserden
Good idea, but they need to implement it domestically too.
How's that sensible? Why now would additional layers of dubiously effective search protocols do anything to enhance safety, if carried out as idiotically robotic as they are now?

Anyway, how's 48 hours screening meant to find potential terrorists where the UK police have failed?
Answer: Our Dear Leaders are stricken with Messianic Complex, which we -- the electorate -- have unfortunately let them run amok, untreated.

The question is what arrangements will need to be made for those who need to travel on short notice.
I read that article twice through yesterday and wondered what viable solution would be possible and still not tank business travel even further. Seriously, is this country not already in the nether regions on the ill-will graph?

# # #
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
I would not be surprised if some other country does the same thing to us as retaliation. As much as I love being an American, I would be delighted to see another country (like the UK) do the same thing to us to make a point, kind of what Brazil does (or did?) to us with their immigration procedures.
"Did," you are correct. And I agree, too, that a turnabout is long overdue for foreign C&I bureaus to treat U.S. passport holders like scum now, even as no particular individual has done anything to deserve it.

# # #
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Next step for fortress america is put everyone on the no fly list.
Bank on that, or some version close to it. :-:

# # #
Originally Posted by Roger
Using the dubious rationale prevailing in Washington, how can Americans be protected from Americans?
Which Americans are which here? As I see it, it's high time for the elected to live in fear of the electorate, which is the way it's supposed to be. Of course, this won't happen unless and until the majority of the electorate gets a clue (or is forced out of desperation to tune in).

# # #
Originally Posted by goalie
well, since the no-phly list doesn't work, why not add something else to grow unchecked and out of control. instead of making things more efficient, our governmet has found yet another way too screw up a free lunch.
Another symptom of Attention Deficit Democracy is when the electorate have left unchecked the fallacy of the free lunch -- both for themselves and their messiahs in office.

# # #
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
It is the US "We're Number One" attitude. Here, it is "We're Number One at Chasing Away Foreign Visitors."
Yes. Quite the bragging point, isn't it?

IIRC last minute full fare C and Y tickets are a major income source for airlines. Are they screaming yet? This law closes sales 48 hours before departure. The only one who could buy a tic would be a US citizen, but 99.9% overseas already have a return ticket. What will the airlines do, firesale the last seats on the plane for $50 to broke US backpackers who need to get home?
I have no, NONE, and absolutely zip sympathy for those gigantic, fiscally irresponsible corporations who've sought mafia-inspired protections from the government -- in the form of cash bailouts, slot favoritism, fortress hubs, and on and on -- while selling out their paying customers -- us! -- decades on end.

When does too much finally become "enough" these days?

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 4, 2007 at 8:40 pm Reason: readability
Old Aug 4, 2007, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by essxjay
Originally Posted by Flaflyer View Post
It is the US "We're Number One" attitude. Here, it is "We're Number One at Chasing Away Foreign Visitors." The US tourist industry will get another negative hit over this one.
Yes. Quite the bragging point, isn't it?
Well, the UK/BAA is throwing quite a fight to beat the USians in that particular game.....
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by voop
Well, the UK/BAA is throwing quite a fight to beat the USians in that particular game.....
They are learning from the masters
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:30 pm

Any special dispensation for emergency travel - death/illness?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:46 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by alanR
They are learning from the masters
Talk about a death match.

Originally Posted by Aleks
Great question. :-:
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:58 pm

Lunacy and idiocy.

I travel very often on short notice. Sometimes even 24hrs or less. And what to do now?

So much for land of the free... it's harder and harder to love USA, not to mention doing business with it.

God help America if it choses to treat friends and allies in such a way. With such an attitude there won't be any left quite soon.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Aleks
I guess you'll be forced to travel via Africa/Asia/Pacific (not mentioned in the article - perhaps because of the longer flight times?), at least until they realise what a loophole that is. After that you'll need to make sure deaths/illnesses are scheduled and approved in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.