Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British tourists turn their back on America

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by terrier
Huh. In my recent experience (i.e. since the new terminal opened), TLV's a great airport to fly from. Security is a breeze compared to any major US airport (to say nothing of LHR) and unlike with the TSA, the experience is consistently courteous and devoid of pointless theatre.

Now, I might have (OMNI-appropriate) reasons not to want to spend money in Israel but airport security hassles haven't been a factor for years.

The US does not have a monopoly on surly, intimidating border agents. As an American, I regularly get grilled at immigration flying into the UK or Canada, coming close to being refused entry at LHR some years ago (while studying at Oxford popped down to Paris one weekend and hadn't packed proof of my enrollment.)

Never had a problem outside the commonwealth (modulo the cartons of Marlboros that were occasionally necessary to get an entry visa in third-world nations). Not sure why.
I have to agree -- the USA, the UK and Canada are the worst. In fact, these are the only countries that have ever given me anything more than a smile and a nod as I am handed my stamped passport. I remember the Canadians grilled me one time, asking all sorts of questions, then passing me to someone else who then asked the same questions. Finally I said "that's the third time I have been asked and answered that question, and I am starting to get the sense I am being checked out to see if my 'story' is consistent, and I am not answering any more questions I have already been asked." She responded by saying she that they have "the right to be suspicious" and I said that "I have the right to be offended". Another time they asked me if I "had ever been arrested". I asked why and they explained that they "couldn't let anyone who had been arrested into the country". I asked if that meant that Nelson Mandela was not welcome in Canada. She said she wasn't sure, so asked, "OK, what about Lech Walesa? Aun Su Kyi? Alexander Solzheneitzen?" She didn't know. "What if Gandhi were alive, would he be allowed in?" Still didn't know. "So when Jesus Christ comes to earth again in glory to judge the living and the dead on Judgement Day and to lead the faithful to salvation, am I to understand he will not be permitted to enter Canada?" She promised to give me an address where I could ask these questions, but still needed to know if I had ever been arrested. "No," I responded, "although I have tried on several occasions, I have to admit that I have never succeeded in getting myself arrested, unlike most of the people I respect and admire. I do intend to keep trying however, and I have come very close on occaison, such as the time I was found carrying 3 bibles in the Soviet Union."

I've had similar experiences as you with UK immigration, but still, the Americans still take first prize.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
"Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence" I can understand, but there is something fundamentally wrong in my view about the "have you ever been arrested" question. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Last edited by christep; Jul 29, 2007 at 6:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:22 am

Out of the five people in my office two will not go to the USA unless forced to by business reasons.

I'm not one of these people, as I currently value the cheapness of the shopping in the USA higher than the rude treatment at the border. When the price difference slides in the other direction I shall be reviewing my position. Hopefully some of the madness will have receded by then.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
The freedom enjoyed in America is still astonishing, compared to just about any place else in the world.

Errrr..... what????

What freedoms do you have that are not enjoyed by residents of Canada, Australia, New Zealands and the majority of countries in the European Union?

"The land of the free" is just a myth.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 5:35 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
I had a client who informed me her husband needed a US visa (UK citizen) as he had been breathalised and got a positive reading so was arrested and fingerprinted. Blood tests showed him to be under the limit and he was not prosecuted however because he was fingerprinted by the police-he needs a visa to enter the US. I queried this as I believed that without a prosecution it wouldn't be needed but the US embassy in London confirmed this as correct.

Going back to the tourism issue and funding of advertising. There are plenty of "exciting" tourism options in the US- Ranch holidays, Whitewater rafting at the Grand Canyon, etc but go into any high street travel agency and the offerings won't extend beyond Disney, New York shopping and other fairly run of the mill types of holiday. In part this is due to the limited number of holiday companies the chain agencies will sell (and the reason I'm getting out of the business before I die of boredom and frustration) but a larger part is lack of promotion and incentive from the US tourism authorities to encourage "the chosen few" to offer more than a fraction of the options available. Holidaymakers are choosing other destinations out of lack of options and information -especially at the moment where the weak dollar could be a tool to increase tourism but is completely ignored by the US tourism funding authorities. The UK travel market is traditionally driven as a package -many consumers still want the security of booking with an agency that does it all rather than building their own holiday-but it many cases the UK travel industry is ignoring this growth area in part because the US tourism authorities won't share the financial load in promotion and education.. Everyone loses-except the holidaymaker brave enough to buck tradition and book independently on-line and many UK consumers still regard this as "unsafe" having been used to the security blanket of ABTA bonding and travel agencies.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier
What freedoms do you have that are not enjoyed by residents of Canada, Australia, New Zealands and the majority of countries in the European Union?
Well, we're free to raise children without giving them any health insurance, but I doubt that's what the previous poster meant.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The increase of intra-Europe travel by air has played its part in displacing travel to the US, but that's not all of it. Stories about being haraSSSSed at US airports, about DHS/CBP interactions and other such things plays a role in the decline too. Without the cheap Bush peso the number of British visitors would be down substantially more than they are.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by christep
What happened to guilty until proven innocent?
I was going to correct this to "innocent until proven guilty" but I realise that your version is nearer to the truth these days
Old Jul 29, 2007, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The UK travel market is traditionally driven as a package -many consumers still want the security of booking with an agency that does it all rather than building their own holiday-but it many cases the UK travel industry is ignoring this growth area in part because the US tourism authorities won't share the financial load in promotion and education.. Everyone loses-except the holidaymaker brave enough to buck tradition and book independently on-line and many UK consumers still regard this as "unsafe" having been used to the security blanket of ABTA bonding and travel agencies."

That may indeed be it: America isn't a great "package holiday" destination. Our travel really isn't geared that way. You pretty much do it yourself, and the internet has further encouraged this trend.

As far as Brits not having "enough information," well, I'd say that's pretty much their own fault. I mean, the amount of English-language information about American travel available on the internet is nothing short of breathtaking. I can pretty much find info on ANYTHING related to travel these days. Of course, there has to be a DESIRE to read this information.

As far as freedoms go, hey, we all have our biases, but I think the freedom to pursue one's individual happiness -- and have a realistic shot of achieving it, whatever one's goals -- is still America's greatest strength. Others seem to think so, too, because despite all the trouble we give prospective immigrants, they're still flocking here in droves.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 6:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold
As far as freedoms go, hey, we all have our biases, but I think the freedom to pursue one's individual happiness -- and have a realistic shot of achieving it, whatever one's goals -- is still America's greatest strength. Others seem to think so, too, because despite all the trouble we give prospective immigrants, they're still flocking here in droves.
..a propagandist's dream...
Old Jul 29, 2007, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ivyspice
Well, we're free to raise children without giving them any health insurance, but I doubt that's what the previous poster meant.
What? We are also free to raise children WITH health insurance...if the parent is motivated enough to get off their a$$ and get a job with benefits...but I doubt that's what you meant.

We are also free to sit around all day and blame everyone for our problems and depend on the government to pay us and raise our children...but that probably is not what you meant either.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DuckSoupforMe
..a propagandist's dream...
Hey, if you think there's someplace better to live . . . .

I know I'd move if I found a better place.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
The other poster may be referring to the fact that the entire ordeal of applying for and obtaining a visa, traveling to and being processed into the U.S. impacts different groups of people at different nodes.

Any traveler from what the U.S. perceives as a developing country will find the entire experience to be extremely demeaning and frustrating. Most travelers from countries the U.S. perceives as being developed and "friendly" face minimal hardship but this hardship occurs at the node involving admission to the U.S.

I too know of many people who no longer travel to the U.S. or who have chosen to study/work elsewhere - America's loss, not theirs. However, as I mentioned earlier - every man has his price. Some are willing to put up with the hassles discussed here because they feel the rewards outweigh the pain and because the cost of a U.S. vacation may be substantially lower.
I hate to tell you this but the US doesnt have a monopoly on treating people from developing countries attempting to gain entry like crap. I've heard many stories of people who hold passports from developing countries attempting to enter EU and Asian countries and being treated like crap. As far as the number of British entering the country I tend to have to agree that the decline has several factors.
cheers
Howie
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:24 am

Programs: CO Gold
Hey, if you think there's someplace better to live . . . .

I know I'd move if I found a better place.
There are many great places in the world. The US is the best place for ME as I was born here, I am used to the system here, and my family is here. I also speak English as a first language.
That said, I can imagine being happy elsewhere. Just as I can imagine that Swedes are pretty happy in Sweden (although we certainly know that they are suffering under a repressive regime with few personal freedoms).

Your suggestion that the influx of immigrants must mean that the US is such a great place is flawed. You do read the paper, yes? You do read about immigration issues related to various western European nations, yes?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 6:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold;NWA gold;Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by duchy
Blood tests showed him to be under the limit and he was not prosecuted however because he was fingerprinted by the police-he needs a visa to enter the US. I queried this as I believed that without a prosecution it wouldn't be needed but the US embassy in London confirmed this as correct.
A Canadian friend of mine was fingerprinted by police for his taxi license, so he came up as having a "finger print ID number" when he got to the US border. They "interviewed" him on his first trip across and let him go once they verified there weren't any charges on his record. Nothing since then, so they must've commented his file. Any fingerprinting apparently comes up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.