FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British tourists turn their back on America
Old Jul 29, 2007, 3:47 am
polonius
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by terrier
Huh. In my recent experience (i.e. since the new terminal opened), TLV's a great airport to fly from. Security is a breeze compared to any major US airport (to say nothing of LHR) and unlike with the TSA, the experience is consistently courteous and devoid of pointless theatre.

Now, I might have (OMNI-appropriate) reasons not to want to spend money in Israel but airport security hassles haven't been a factor for years.

The US does not have a monopoly on surly, intimidating border agents. As an American, I regularly get grilled at immigration flying into the UK or Canada, coming close to being refused entry at LHR some years ago (while studying at Oxford popped down to Paris one weekend and hadn't packed proof of my enrollment.)

Never had a problem outside the commonwealth (modulo the cartons of Marlboros that were occasionally necessary to get an entry visa in third-world nations). Not sure why.
I have to agree -- the USA, the UK and Canada are the worst. In fact, these are the only countries that have ever given me anything more than a smile and a nod as I am handed my stamped passport. I remember the Canadians grilled me one time, asking all sorts of questions, then passing me to someone else who then asked the same questions. Finally I said "that's the third time I have been asked and answered that question, and I am starting to get the sense I am being checked out to see if my 'story' is consistent, and I am not answering any more questions I have already been asked." She responded by saying she that they have "the right to be suspicious" and I said that "I have the right to be offended". Another time they asked me if I "had ever been arrested". I asked why and they explained that they "couldn't let anyone who had been arrested into the country". I asked if that meant that Nelson Mandela was not welcome in Canada. She said she wasn't sure, so asked, "OK, what about Lech Walesa? Aun Su Kyi? Alexander Solzheneitzen?" She didn't know. "What if Gandhi were alive, would he be allowed in?" Still didn't know. "So when Jesus Christ comes to earth again in glory to judge the living and the dead on Judgement Day and to lead the faithful to salvation, am I to understand he will not be permitted to enter Canada?" She promised to give me an address where I could ask these questions, but still needed to know if I had ever been arrested. "No," I responded, "although I have tried on several occasions, I have to admit that I have never succeeded in getting myself arrested, unlike most of the people I respect and admire. I do intend to keep trying however, and I have come very close on occaison, such as the time I was found carrying 3 bibles in the Soviet Union."

I've had similar experiences as you with UK immigration, but still, the Americans still take first prize.