FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Why should I show my breasts? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/715851-why-should-i-show-my-breasts.html)

Wally Bird Jul 20, 2007 9:24 am

Originally Posted by JHattery (Post 8087445)
Perhaps because "they're real, and they're magnificent?"

Spectacular, actually.

essxjay Jul 20, 2007 9:58 am

Originally Posted by alanR (Post 8089625)
I wouldn't be surprised if the TSA then arrested her for lewd behaviour - mind you it help pay off the mortgage when you sue them

Now that's a grad school financing scheme I hadn't thought of! @:-)

JHattery Jul 20, 2007 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 8090295)
Spectacular, actually.

All the more reason to be truly thankful that our knowledgable friends at the TSA are wise enough to realize they need fresh air to be at their peak.;)

ladiflier Jul 20, 2007 12:25 pm

Their request is insane. I too have suits that do not call for a blouse or camisole underneath. Peachfront - perhaps your just not familiar with those styles but I have plenty of them. Making me remove my jacket is just dumb. What could be hidden under there that might not also be able to be hidden under my skirt. SHould I remove that too???

Kip is a idiot and I dare them to tell me to remove my suit jacket. They are real, they are spectacular and they may just get to find out! ^

n5667 Jul 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by VelvetKennedy (Post 8081533)
I get really mad when I'm wearing a women's suit with nothing underneath or just a shell that is inappropriate for wearing in public by itself and TSA wants to make me take my suit jacket off. Usually, when I point out nicely that it would be indecent, they drop it quickly and let me right on through. However, once in a while... they want to make an issue out of it. So, what I'm wondering, is if I should have to change my manner of business dress code because there is some blanket rule that since men have to take off business jackets, women have to, too, no matter what is underneath? It was suggested to me by a TSA agent that I dress more appropriately for airplane travel and avoid wearing business suits if the jacket can't come off. Reality is that I have already started dressing differently when I know I am going through security, and I make sure there is something underneath now, but I think its really stupid and I resent it, because I should be able to dress as I want to. I wish I had the nerve to take off the business suit jacket and walk through with breasts exposed, because they told me I had to take my jacket off, but that's not the way I want to establish my 15 minutes of fame.

The only explanation I can think of is that some might interpret it as an exterior garment that obscures your contours, thus allowing the possibility that you are smuggling something.

I personally closely examine the female figure - for security reasons of course to determine whether or not the offending article of clothing need be remanded to the X-Ray... Not really, for the most part unless it's a really baggy sweater I don't have a problem with it...

Wally Bird Jul 20, 2007 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by n5667 (Post 8091612)
...the offending article of clothing need be remanded to the X-Ray...

There you go with that cop-talk again. And you didn't even get your gold shield yet :rolleyes: .

Fishster Jul 20, 2007 2:25 pm

Lucky I don't have to travel for business anymore. But, when I do have to get near a plane I wear as little as possible - even in the winter. I show as much skin as possible and strip to a camisole. I will do anything to avoid secondary since it ruins my trip every time and no doubt will get me arrested at some point. Modesty is the least of my concerns - I would rather go thru naked than have their grubby hands anywhere near me. My 3 year old has also starting taking off her shirt in imitation.

peachfront Jul 20, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm not familiar with those styles, but your argument about the skirt seems logical.

Originally Posted by ladiflier (Post 8091529)
Their request is insane. I too have suits that do not call for a blouse or camisole underneath. Peachfront - perhaps your just not familiar with those styles but I have plenty of them. Making me remove my jacket is just dumb. What could be hidden under there that might not also be able to be hidden under my skirt. SHould I remove that too???

Kip is a idiot and I dare them to tell me to remove my suit jacket. They are real, they are spectacular and they may just get to find out! ^

VelvetKennedy Jul 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Just to clarify, I did a superquick search on Bloomingdales website to give some examples of women's suits that don't require a shirt underneath:

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...*24*-1*-1*-1*1

http://www1.bloomingdales.com/catalo...*24*-1*-1*-1*9

I hope that helps...

P.S. One thing I like to do when they're demanding something I don't think is appropriate or prior to any secondary screening is to make a point of looking at their badge and calling them by name. It shifts the balance of power a little. I learned to do this after one too many touchyfeely screeners.

VelvetKennedy Jul 20, 2007 2:39 pm

A big problem, it seems to me, is that they learn a rule, and then apply it indiscriminately.

Rule: suit jackets must come off

Practice: tell everyone to remove every suit jacket no matter the type of suit or what is underneath because a rule is a rule and that's that

Its just idiocy, there is no filter applied to the situation half the time.

peachfront Jul 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Hey thanks! I tried to search myself but soon realized I wasn't sure how or where. Most of the fashions I found weren't work appropriate. A lot of spring floral dresses and whether to wear silver or gold this season, stuff like that.

That "Sutton Suit" with the pencil skirt is very nice!

VelvetKennedy Jul 20, 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront (Post 8092261)
That "Sutton Suit" with the pencil skirt is very nice!

I don't own that suit specifically but those types of suits are easy for me for travel b/c I don't have to pick out different things to go together, I just grab one suit for each day and I'm packed, like Garanimals (or however that is spelled) for adults. Macy's always has a lot of cute suits, too. Its been hard now to try to figure additional shirts into it for travel days. I hate that they make me try to change my style of dress and drag along extra garments in my tiny bags (I pack light) to accommodate their dumb ideas. I feel like I don't want to change for them, but I also don't want the hassle that might ruin my mood for the next hour while I stew over the interaction.

Loren Pechtel Jul 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront (Post 8088262)
I guarantee they don't ask you to take off the thin silk camisole. If they do, come back and tell peachfront, and I'll beat them across the head and shoulders with my real and magnificents! :cool:

You mean your name is a lie, you don't just have peaches in front? :D

essxjay Jul 20, 2007 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by ladiflier (Post 8091529)

My vote for post o' the week. ^

essxjay Jul 20, 2007 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by n5667 (Post 8091612)
I personally closely examine the female figure - for security reasons of course to determine whether or not the offending article of clothing need be remanded to the X-Ray... Not really, for the most part unless it's a really baggy sweater I don't have a problem with it...

Answer me this then: Why the hell was it strongly recommended to me by a female screener back in January 2003 that if I didn't want the free feel-up in the future I should forgo the bra and wear a baggy sweater through the checkpoint from then on? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Absolutely Asinine™.