FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Why should I show my breasts? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/715851-why-should-i-show-my-breasts.html)

VelvetKennedy Jul 18, 2007 11:42 pm

Why should I show my breasts?

I get really mad when I'm wearing a women's suit with nothing underneath or just a shell that is inappropriate for wearing in public by itself and TSA wants to make me take my suit jacket off. Usually, when I point out nicely that it would be indecent, they drop it quickly and let me right on through. However, once in a while... they want to make an issue out of it. So, what I'm wondering, is if I should have to change my manner of business dress code because there is some blanket rule that since men have to take off business jackets, women have to, too, no matter what is underneath? It was suggested to me by a TSA agent that I dress more appropriately for airplane travel and avoid wearing business suits if the jacket can't come off. Reality is that I have already started dressing differently when I know I am going through security, and I make sure there is something underneath now, but I think its really stupid and I resent it, because I should be able to dress as I want to. I wish I had the nerve to take off the business suit jacket and walk through with breasts exposed, because they told me I had to take my jacket off, but that's not the way I want to establish my 15 minutes of fame.

Spiff Jul 19, 2007 1:33 am

Don't let the TSA tell you how to dress. Wear what you like and tell the TSA to go pound sand if they expect you to expose yourself in order to dispell their pathetic, irrational fears.

SwissCircle Jul 19, 2007 1:40 am

oh boy

That`s just ridiculous.
No one in the world hast he right to tell you what to wear.

moeve Jul 19, 2007 1:54 am

Oh boy I had this discussion at LHR ealier this year...

When I got dressed that morning I was not flying anywhere. I was to pick up our client coming from LHR and meet with our boss at a Frankfurt hotel. FRA is a 2 hour drive for me ánd I was already on my way when my boss called to change our plans - we would be flying to me our client in LHR.

The flight there was not a problem BUT coming back was quite another!!! The inspector insisted I take off my blazer. I pointed out that I was not wearing anything apropreate underneath since I had not expected to fly that morning. That did not interest this guy one bit! So I got a bit cleared " I am only wearing a bra underneath!" "Madam you will still have to remove the blazer...." Hey I had been up since 4 am so this nonsence in the evening was not do any good.

My boss saved the day and got a supervisor to deal with it. When I explain for a 4th time that I had not intented to fly that day, or I would ahve dressed accordingly. I was wanded down and allowed to go on however not without the comment to dress more senceably the next time I fly.... GRRRR That just about did it!!!! My bosses comment was "lets go before you explode..."

donaghadee Jul 19, 2007 7:29 am

Not trying to be sexist but wouldn't it be nice some day for some bra-less woman to take off her jacket and walk through. This would show up the lunacy. Woman's apparel is different to men's a womans jacket does not equate to a man's - in a number of occasions it is really a shirt.

JakiChan Jul 19, 2007 7:37 am

Unfortunately, I believe they'd say that you can request a private screening. But the better thing to do would be to remove the article of clothing and then talk to the supervisor and media about how you were strip searched at the checkpoint and sexually harassed. Something sensational like that would get their attention...

bzbdewd Jul 19, 2007 7:38 am

Originally Posted by donaghadee (Post 8082643)
Not trying to be sexist but wouldn't it be nice some day for some bra-less woman to take off her jacket and walk through. This would show up the lunacy. Woman's apparel is different to men's a womans jacket does not equate to a man's - in a number of occasions it is really a shirt.

Believe me.... if a bra was all I was wearing I'd do it and let them have the red face - wouldn't bother me a bit! I have changed my mode of dress just to avoid the hassle but if it were a similar case to the OP I'd just do it & the H*ll with them.

I had one try and get my 80 year old Dad to take of his sweater which was form fitting and not baggy or anything. I had a fit (which only ended up making my Dad more embarassed) but in the end they let him through. In their attempts to prove that they are not 'profiling' they are absolutely absurd.

Wally Bird Jul 19, 2007 8:47 am

Originally Posted by donaghadee (Post 8082643)

A French tourist did and was arrested for indecent exposure.

JohnneeO Jul 19, 2007 8:57 am

For the beads, of course!

Whenever VelvetKennedy is asked to show her breasts to the TSA, then the TSA should at least give her some beads. :D

peachfront Jul 19, 2007 8:58 am

I sort of have to agree with the TSA officer. I'm not sure where it would be appropriate in public to wear a business suit with no top under the jacket. It sounds like fetish wear. Senator Vitter, you may go in and see the mistress now... Probably I'm just not up on current styles, but to me it is not businesslike if you forgot to wear your shirt!

I wear a sport/jogging bra at the airport. Once or twice, they have asked for more layers to come off, than just the jacket. A sport bra that is decent for public viewing at the gym should be OK for a brief exposure. I'm not going to be wearing my Victoria Secret's underwired miracle workers in a security line anyway. It seems like somebody could take out the pads and take in quite a lot of contraband in some of those designs.

Better yet in my opinion would be the sport bra with a form-fitting opaque-colored shell over it. Sometimes I like a turtleneck shell, but if you want to look shirtless under your jacket, then you could pick a design with a low-cut neckline. The main thing is to have the item follow the figure so that it doesn't look as if you're trying to conceal something. When I dress like this, I've never been asked to strip down to the sports bra and flash my fans. No doubt much to their relief! :)

moeve Jul 19, 2007 10:33 am

Peach I was wearing one of those round neck /Chanel type blazers that one wears buttoned up - and as I had already said when I chose it in the morning I had NO INTENTION of getting on a plane at all - otherwise I would not have worn it!!

iCorpRoadie Jul 19, 2007 10:39 am

Originally Posted by bzbdewd (Post 8082680)
Believe me.... if a bra was all I was wearing I'd do it and let them have the red face - wouldn't bother me a bit! I have changed my mode of dress just to avoid the hassle but if it were a similar case to the OP I'd just do it & the H*ll with them.

I had one try and get my 80 year old Dad to take of his sweater which was form fitting and not baggy or anything. I had a fit (which only ended up making my Dad more embarassed) but in the end they let him through. In their attempts to prove that they are not 'profiling' they are absolutely absurd.

I'd love to be there and see their face!!!

sonora Jul 19, 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by peachfront (Post 8083185)
I sort of have to agree with the TSA officer. I'm not sure where it would be appropriate in public to wear a business suit with no top under the jacket. It sounds like fetish wear. Senator Vitter, you may go in and see the mistress now... Probably I'm just not up on current styles, but to me it is not businesslike if you forgot to wear your shirt!

I wear a sport/jogging bra at the airport. Once or twice, they have asked for more layers to come off, than just the jacket. A sport bra that is decent for public viewing at the gym should be OK for a brief exposure. I'm not going to be wearing my Victoria Secret's underwired miracle workers in a security line anyway. It seems like somebody could take out the pads and take in quite a lot of contraband in some of those designs.

Better yet in my opinion would be the sport bra with a form-fitting opaque-colored shell over it. Sometimes I like a turtleneck shell, but if you want to look shirtless under your jacket, then you could pick a design with a low-cut neckline. The main thing is to have the item follow the figure so that it doesn't look as if you're trying to conceal something. When I dress like this, I've never been asked to strip down to the sports bra and flash my fans. No doubt much to their relief! :)

I have several suits where the jacket/top can be worn without a shirt underneath, and I am a pretty conservative dresser.

essxjay Jul 19, 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by peachfront (Post 8083185)

Sorry girlfriend, but you get two giant :td::td: on this.

What concern is it of the TSA to be issuing diktats about business dress or the cut of such dress? I or moeve shouldn't be told to adjust our underwear styles to suit some idiot bureaucrat's fantasy scenario of underwire garments as potential bomb gear. Travel is uncomfortable enough without having to stuff myself into a sports bra for untold hours on top of everything else.

On the level, I'll take arrest and/or indecency charges before I'll take off my Victoria's Secret Miracle Bra in order to fly, but you suit yourself.

Rejuvenated Jul 19, 2007 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 8081767)
Don't let the TSA tell you how to dress. Wear what you like and tell the TSA to go pound sand if they expect you to expose yourself in order to dispell their pathetic, irrational fears.

^^^