Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Backscatter X-Ray at Phoenix is here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by VideoPaul
I don't know, is it done without exposing humans to X radiation?

--PP

Well, the quote from the EPA website says: "Do not confuse the backscatter system with metal detectors. Metal detectors do not use radioactive material."

hmmm...
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Cholula
Here was the original image that TSA could see on their backscatter screens.

And then they backpedaled and are showing this so-called chalk/cartoon image as what will be seen.

So which one is it??
The image is whichever one we say it is, Citizen. You do not need to know anything more.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
... We need a machine that can just read peoples mind and as we pass through security, they ask do you intend on committing any crime and then the machine reads their thoughts and marks the ones that are thinking yes. Then we launch them into a furnace for recycling and boom, all solved
I think half of us would be sent to the furnace for thinking "...and my taxpayers pay this guys salary" or "how hard is it to tell a battery from lipstick" or "will my laptop be swabbed for the third time in 3 days, or will they finally learn what a laptop is?"

I'm usually thinking something like that going through the WTMD.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:41 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by gj83
I think half of us would be sent to the furnace for thinking "...and my taxpayers pay this guys salary" or "how hard is it to tell a battery from lipstick" or "will my laptop be swabbed for the third time in 3 days, or will they finally learn what a laptop is?"

Same here.
Or
"Is it possible to have an IQ in the single digits?"
"Will they learn that a solid deordorant is not a liquid?"
Old Feb 25, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gj83

I tend to stick w/the simple, 'IDIOTS'!!
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
"It seems faster. I'm not uncomfortable with it," said Kelsi Dunbar, 25, of Seattle, who chose the machine. "I trust TSA, and I trust that they are definitely trying to make things go quickly and smoothly in the airport.
Idiot girl.

I'd love to see this issue taken up on Oprah, complete with larger-than-life "chalk outlines" of women's bodies, both the before and "improved" pictures clearly showing tampons, IUDs, cervical caps and/or pad outlines. That would do the trick.

It's unfortunate that it would seem it takes mob mentality of one sort -- let's call it, "Winfrey Populism" -- to fight mob mentality of another, the Sheepleship of Citizens.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 25, 2007 at 8:58 pm
Old Feb 25, 2007, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
Idiot girl.

I'd love to see this issue taken up on Oprah, with "chalk outlines" of women's bodies, including before and "improved" pictures clearly showing tampons, IUDs, cervical cap and/or pad outlines. That would do the trick.

It's unfortunate that it would seem it takes mob mentality of one sort -- call it, "Oprah populism" -- to fight mob mentality of another, i.e. citizen "sheepleship."
I literally grieve when I look at what Americans voluntarily put on Myspace and realize that privacy has no future in the United States of America.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Well, the quote from the EPA website says: "Do not confuse the backscatter system with metal detectors. Metal detectors do not use radioactive material."

hmmm...
Oh, that's rich. So you end up getting "exposed" in more ways than one...nice.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 7:58 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I literally grieve when I look at what Americans voluntarily put on Myspace and realize that privacy has no future in the United States of America.

And now the rest of the world is "catching up"... Myspace Australia, Japan, UK, Europe... but that's O/T i guess.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by red456
I can't find it now, but there was a long article on cbsnews.com that IIRC implied that at some point in time its use would become mandatory.
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
It is not mandatory because it is in the test phase. If it 'passes' the test, it will become mandatory. It has no chance of 'failing' the test. It will be mandatory.
It will never be mandatory, you will always be able to opt for another form of screening. If you empty your packets and everything out well and aren't carrying anthing to set off the regular metal detector than you shouldn't have to deal with it at all.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 8:59 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
It will never be mandatory,
You're kidding yourself.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by essxjay
You're kidding yourself.
Honestly i do think it will come to a point where people put enough pressure due to privacy issues associated with the body form shown onscreen. It seems to me that the inate nature of most citizens to just accept little inconveniences for safety's sake will be compromised by their inherent self esteem issues.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
It seems to me that the inate nature of most citizens to just accept little inconveniences for safety's sake will be compromised by their inherent self esteem issues.
I hope you're blessedly right.

Shame that it takes an issue about vanity for people to wake up and protest for the right thing.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
perhaps if some unflattering celeb's pics (showing the naked truth ) got out that would spark some protest?
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by skAAtinsteph
It will never be mandatory, you will always be able to opt for another form of screening. If you empty your packets and everything out well and aren't carrying anthing to set off the regular metal detector than you shouldn't have to deal with it at all.
I don't have any intention of going through that screening machine. It's getting to the point where a person has little dignity in the screening process. I was in Phoenix when they had the puffer machine to detect explosives. I was "selected" to go through that machine and had a skirt on that day. I had to hold my arms down at my side to prevent my skirt from coming up around me and I needed about 3 more arms to hold it down from the air blast I got. Shortly after they instituted the "remove your jacket" rule I was asked to remove a zip up sweater/knit jacket. I told them I had nothing on beneath it and they got huffy with me and sent me through the extended screening process.

I carry a tiny black purse, so I usually put my shoes, jacket and purse in the same plastic tub and my laptop in another tub. On a trip from TUL to DFW it was freezing so I had a big wool coat with me. That day I used three tubs, putting the large coat in a separate tub and my same purse/shoes/jacket in the other tub. When my tubs started coming out my purse was missing and they had not annouced they were sending it back through for additional screening. I started hollering, yes yelling where is my purse. Some TSA person had rearranged my stuff, removed my purse from the tub number 1 and put it UNDER my big black coat in tub number 3. My coat was the last tub to come out as I put my least important/valuable item at the end of my tubs. It took me a minute to find my purse as it didn't occur to me to look under my coat. A TSA supervisor rushed over and asked me to check and see if anything was missing. There wasn't anything missing, but it seems to me that they take unneccessary liberties with our belongings and bodies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.