Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long will TSA be around? Forever?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2006, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
The Soviet Union fell. There's always hope.

And McCarthy and his tactics.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
In theory, you would have to disband the entire DHS...
Now this is what I would like to see happen. No reason to focus just on the TSA, but risk avoidance at any cost is really the name of the game here. Coupled with some economic stimulation through the 21st century WPA, both DHS and TSA are likely here to stay.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:16 pm

As long as the agency is patronized, it will NOT go away.

Hmmm. Refresh my memory... The patrons are WHOM?
Old Dec 19, 2006, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
That only took from 1917 until 1991, so perhaps by 2075 .... I'll mark it on my calendar.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
The other problem behind this is that no politician is going to want to be seen as casting a vote for removing the TSA lest they be seen as being "soft on terror" or "against the safety of the US" or some such rot.
^

There's big money, and there are plenty of votes, in fear. Just look at your average local evening newscast. This is something the makers of WTMDs, surveillance cameras, internet filtering software, "America's Most Wanted", you name it, figured out a long time ago. Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:11 pm
Suspended

You were going through the same process (except for the liquid/gel thing) long before 9/11 and you'll be going through it long after. Whether the TSA does it or someone else it will be the same thing. We're not going to trust individuals to not bring prohibited items on board or to screen themselves.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by thegeneral
You were going through the same process (except for the liquid/gel thing) long before 9/11 and you'll be going through it long after.
No, I wasn't.

Prior to 9/11 I did not have to remove any common daily-use items from my bags or person before traveling carry-on only (e.g., pen knife, small screwdrivers which were prohibited for a while, and now the silly war on water). Prior to 9/11 I never recall stripping off any item of clothing (shoes, coat, jacket, seater) to pass a checkpoint. And though I flew much less then, prior to 9/11 I do not recall ever being concerned about running into a power-tripping screener (in the USA).

IMO it will take a visionary government-slashing President the likes of which we haven't elected since the early 80s, to abolish the TSA. Replacing TSA with a sane security mechanism will be another giant leap beyond abolition.

And even with that type of administration it will be hard. It seems unlikely that the West will succeed in pacifying (radical) Islam any time soon (especially since governments still refuse to explicitly identify the enemy out of PC fears). By the time that happens (if ever), it is likely that so many of our freedoms will be gone that nobody will miss them or remember the "good old days" when you could leave your bedroom without "implying consent" to arbitrary search, move about the country while carrying everyday useful items, and travel without being subjected to papers-please checkpoints and arbitrary secret blacklists.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by thegeneral
You were going through the same process (except for the liquid/gel thing) long before 9/11 and you'll be going through it long after.
So not true. There was no shoe carnival before. There was no haraSSSSment screening at the passenger screening checkpoints. There was no boarding pass/gate pass requirement to go through the screening checkpoint like other passengers. Swiss army pocket knives were not contraband. And that's just the beginning of the list.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 5:52 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Platinum
How many government agencies have ever gone away?

How many government agencies have ever gone away? Seriously, I can't think of a single one. If history is any indicator, not only will the TSA be around for the rest of our lives, it will get bigger and become even more obtrusive.

Should the need for it decline (e.g. if radical fundamentalism is wiped from the face of the earth) then the TSA will pursue new responsibilities in an effort to maintain relevance and protect their jobs. It's the nature of government agencies ...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 6:30 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

[[/B]
Originally Posted by Gdog
How many government agencies have ever gone away? Seriously, I can't think of a single one. If history is any indicator, not only will the TSA be around for the rest of our lives, it will get bigger and become even more obtrusive.

Should the need for it decline (e.g. if radical fundamentalism is wiped from the face of the earth) then the TSA will pursue new responsibilities in an effort to maintain relevance and protect their jobs. It's the nature of government agencies ...

I wish I could say that your post is a load of crap, but I have to be honest...
your post is 100% spot on correct! I wish it weren't the case, but we
all know you're right.

I hope you post additional comments on other threads; you very first post is very insightful and the best I've seen for any newcomer on this message board.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Now that cockpit doors are essentially impenetrable and flight-crew protocols prevent a hijacker from taking control of a plane, I see no fundamental reason why airplanes need to be any safer than, say, shopping malls. Therefore, I would have no more "security" than exists at a typical shopping mall. I might actually dismantle the whole airport apparatus, except for the x-ray machines, and rely on FAMs to provide security in the air. I would continue to x-ray checked baggage for bombs. The rest is unnecessary.

Bruce
Sooo, put the explosive on your person and not in the carry-on so that it will not be detected and make it thru the checkpoint???

Boooooy, that is real smart... Are you a brain surgeon? Hope not...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:36 pm

Go live there then...
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The TSA is the goverment's ultimate dog and pony show. In reality it does very, very little to stop terriorists. Most of their job should be done with technology that offers ease of use and very unobtrusive in nature. Unfortunately, there is no politican alive that would suggest that we do away with nearly strip searching granny at the security point or even allow us to travel again with enough tioletries to sustain us for more than one day (anyone who can survive on what you can place in a baggy for several days would to me have hygiene that is somewhat suspect).

In other words, the TSA, or some other version thereof, will not be going away in my lifetime.
If you aren't smart enought to figure it out... You place your larger items to make it thru more than a couple of days in your CHECKED LUGGAGE!
Old Dec 20, 2006, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpy
As long as the agency is patronized, it will NOT go away.

Hmmm. Refresh my memory... The patrons are WHOM?
Dumpy...

You patronize the airlines not TSA... No different than coming in from an International flight and going thru Customs... You are still patronizing the airlines not US Customs...
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:06 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by whatsinyourbag
You patronize the airlines not TSA... No different than coming in from an International flight and going thru Customs... You are still patronizing the airlines not US Customs...
You really don't get it, do you. We pay a per-ticket tax, and federal income tax, that pays your salary. You better believe we're patronizing the TSA. The extreme lack of customer service attitude that you exhibit in your every post, and your signature line, is exactly why the TSA needs to be disbanded and returned to private hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.