Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

A screener told me to "have a nice f***ing day this morning...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A screener told me to "have a nice f***ing day this morning...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
The sense of entitlement, power and police-state control that some TSA agents have exhibited in airports of late is ridiculous and unacceptable.

We should keep the airlines in the loop. If we choose other airports, presumably, we'll choose other airlines. (I.e. I fly UA out of ORD but SW or other low cost carrier out of MDW). That's lost revenue due to poor TSA behavior. Maybe they'd be inclined to put pressure on the system as well.

This won't get solved from a few complaining frequent fliers. We need all stakeholders involved in the clean-up
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:36 pm

Programs: Continental, Delta, United
Originally Posted by AA2070
I could not believe the screeners I encountered this morning at BOS. This goes so far beyond the realm of acceptability... see below for the letter I sent to the TSA, AA's BOS station manager, BOS FSD, and BOS Director of Avaition.

[AA2070]
This is not acceptable on many levels. I would include, your congressman, Senator, state assembly and the Govenor.
TSA can't "confiscate" items, nor can it deny you boarding. Hopefully, you retreived your tools.

X
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
I am from Boston and I am ashamed to say so. This treatment you received was by low life flunkies who have no power anywhere else in their lives, so they go to work and puff up to compensate. They are taking their whole miserable lives to work with them and know that they won't be held accountable. I would have sent correspondence to every major news network and newspaper in the country. Heck, I would even have gotten Geraldo in on it. He loves sensationalism and would have eaten this story for breakfast.

Stories like yours just eat at me. I am always so careful when going through security, but if I encountered a bunch of idiots like you did, I would have hit the roof. It takes an awful lot to make me mad, but when I do watch out. I applaud you for keeping your cool. I have a feeling not many of us here could have.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:22 am

... Again, we deeply regret any inconvenience or discomfort you may have suffered as a result of enhanced screening procedures ...
Well, there you have it ... what you experienced was an enhanced screening procedure ... lol ... I love form letter responses ...

Seriously though, its incredible that people would act like this when they know they are being filmed ... it would be nice if you could somehow get a clip to send to the media ... is the video available under the FOIA?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 3:41 am

I wonder if he gets home and beats his wife aswell..

As mentioned, top effort on remaining composed.

Are you going to take the matter further? I sure hope so..
Old Nov 29, 2007, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Not a bad letter. You kept your tone civil and there's no excuse for someone swearing at you no matter what you did or didn't do. I'd split up the first paragraph into a few of them as reading one large text blob isn't easy. You do use I quite a bit in there. You should also end by asking to have someone contact you about this. Letters of complain should have a call to action.

I do have one question to ask you. Did you bother to ask for a supervisor? These things can be dealt with to some degree where the screening happens.

It is funny to hear the outrage of people on here suggesting that letters be written to congress and CNN should be involved. I had someone cut me off in traffic the other day. Perhaps I should give the New York Times a buzz. The TSA people weren't right here, but it's not like the guy was forcibly body cavity searched. All in all, he didn't get to take his tool through security and he was delayed a whopping 10 minutes.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:23 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by thegeneral
I do have one question to ask you. Did you bother to ask for a supervisor? These things can be dealt with to some degree where the screening happens.
That question was answered over a year ago in the thread--the offending TSO apparently was the supervisor.

Do you really believe that a random unknown cutting you off is analogous to deliberate antagonism by a belligerent, foul-mouthed government employee?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Travellin' Fool
Yup, PVD or MHT if you can...
Yes, MHT is nicest people being there. I was there in MHT several times visits my brother. I always saw old people being still working at checkpoint after TSA is takeover old folks. That's why I was there in MHT for 4 times some long time ago back in 2000-2001. I remember that was very nicest people at entire airports. It doesn't have anything a common problems from security.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by studentff
You should also file a claim with TSA for compensation for your lost (trashed) tools.

This incident is totally inexcusable; I would have said "screw my flight," called for a LEO, and started filing a police report.

The one time I have gone through BOS terminal B TSA (on a last minute reroute to AA which got me SSSS'd), I found them to be rather arrogant and annoying. The tactic of retaliating against passengers by creating delay via swabbing every conceivable item in the bag (and I bet they did it slowly and with multiple swabs too) is consistent with what I experienced. Contents of my rollaboard that they ETD'd each with individual swabs included: shoes (inside and out), electric shaver (opened zipper pouch and swabbed shaver), outside of rollaboard, inside seams of rollaboard, toiletry kit, and several clothing items.
While I absolutely agree that the TSO's alleged behavior is inexcusable, I'm curious just what exactly calling an LEO and seeking to have a police report filed would have accomplished? Generally, a crime has to occur for an official report (excluding "courtesy" reports for those jurisdictions that do them) to be filed. Bad behavior and attrocious customer service don't generally meet the elements of a crime. The OP choosing instead to display his class and intelligence in the form of a complaint letter was a far better venue. Furthermore, it didn't waste an LEO's time and taxpayer dollars dealing with an issue without a nexus to any crime.

TB
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerminalBliss
While I absolutely agree that the TSO's alleged behavior is inexcusable, I'm curious just what exactly calling an LEO and seeking to have a police report filed would have accomplished? Generally, a crime has to occur for an official report (excluding "courtesy" reports for those jurisdictions that do them) to be filed. Bad behavior and attrocious customer service don't generally meet the elements of a crime. The OP choosing instead to display his class and intelligence in the form of a complaint letter was a far better venue. Furthermore, it didn't waste an LEO's time and taxpayer dollars dealing with an issue without a nexus to any crime.
There have been several instances reported in this forum where an LEO was called over to intimidate a passenger without a crime having been committed.

Do you care to comment about the class and intelligence of the TSAers who do that?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LessO2
There have been several instances reported in this forum where an LEO was called over to intimidate a passenger without a crime having been committed.

Do you care to comment about the class and intelligence of the TSAers who do that?
Careful. You're coming dangerously close to the "But they did it first!" defense. If it's wrong for the TSA to do it, but we do it too, then what sort of a leg do we have to stand on when berating them?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneant
Careful. You're coming dangerously close to the "But they did it first!" defense. If it's wrong for the TSA to do it, but we do it too, then what sort of a leg do we have to stand on when berating them?

The TSA thrives on intimidation to hammer their point home to Ma and Pa Kettle.

I see what you're saying, but it's not as you allude to. Just leveling out the playing field.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.