Search

Full Gate Screening to Return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AC110
"The McGyver Cookbook: How to make a *omb with seatback stuffing and lavatory soap." I pray we haven't sunk to this level of idiocy.
There was The Anarchist Cookbook, but that's a bit outdated, eh?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can understand that until they get a handle on this new threat (well it's not new, it's been done, they just had a new scare) we have to forgo bringing our beverages through security.
You're right -- They have had about 11 years to get a handle on this threat.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL GM/CRC, AA Gold, UA Premier
I'm flying PHX-ATL-MCO today, other than standard TSA, there was NO gate screening, people could have carried on whatever liquids they bought in the sterile area, no problem. Which, is probably the way it should be... as long as TSA keeps it out of the sterile area, whats already in the sterile area *should* be fine.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
[QUOTE=Gargoyle]That give a new perspective on "The Wetter". Shutting down the lavs wouldn't have stopped his bomb preparation methodology. Maybe his was one of the "dry runs" for the london gang?

From the looks of it, it was actually a 'wet' run.

18 days and counting...(until I fly again). AAAK!!! It is via LHR !
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:59 pm

Three data points (these are all domestic flights):

- Sacramento, Thu, 8/10, early morning: The TSA was doing thorough gate screening of all passengers. There were only 2 TSA folks, for all gates, and planes were delayed by hours as a result of it.

- SFO, Thu, 8/10, early morning: The airline representatives were announcing that there would be random screening at the gate to check for gels and liquids, but there was no screening at the gate.

- BOS, Fri, 8/11, late afternoon: Same as SFO. Announcements by airline reps, but no screening at the gate.

Perhaps the public claims that they would screen all passengers a second time at the gate was mostly a bluff. Or perhaps someone realizing just how labor-intensive gate-screening is, decided that they couldn't afford to do it, and have given up on the idea for most domestic flights.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Suppose the long term effect of this one episode is an extra one hour added to the screning time of every pax on ever flight on average.

How many people (used to) fly each day in the US and UK. For the sake of argument, let us say 700,000.

Why that number? A human life span is roughly 700,000 hours. These terrorists did not kill a single pax over the Atlantic, but they are vaporizing out of existence the equivalent of one human life every day from now on.
Indeed, what if it adds 3, or even 6 hours to every screening?

In a matter of some weeks, we will have destroyed the entire population of the U.K. We will have accomplished the terroristic objectives ourselves, without their deploying a single weapon. Then they will simply take over our airplanes and homes, our cars and jobs, and live in the paradise they have desired.

And it is entirely our own fault.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:47 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Advance apologies for resurrecting an old thread... didn't see a newer one easily in search.

4/14/08, the TSA was doing gate screening at LAX.

Went to board UA 1190, LAX-DEN, and saw three TSA staffers sitting in the waiting area next to the podium.

"Uh-oh," I thought. I absolutely could not do a gate screening: (1) I had a tight connection in DEN (38 minutes); (2) the flight was totally full; (3) the seats I had have lessened overhead space which fills rapidly (and I couldn't afford to stow bags somewhere far from my seat--I needed to be able to deplane rapidly at DEN).

One TSA guy--a supervisor--stood at the gate with a clipboard he was making notes on, and apparently was choosing who to subject to the gate grope.

They snagged someone in the F/1K/UGS line (not the first pax--that "random" element seems to have gone away). The guy was NOT pleased, and the TSA was taking their sweet time going through his bags and wanding and patting him down.

The Ma and Pa Kettles ahead of me in the boarding line (zone 3 pax who showed up when they called zone 1 to board, and clearly who were not very frequent travelers) were incredulous. "Didn't they already screen us?" the woman demanded. I replied that it was a waste of time and incredible stupidity, to which she agreed.

I managed to make it past the supervisor without drawing his notice (it may have helped that they were still groping down the first selectee) and boarded. Saw him come on board several (10+) minutes later, not a happy camper.

TSA.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
What's the value of reviving a tangentially relevant thread from 2006? Why not start a new thread about what you observed happening today, so that if anyone is interested they can actually read what you have to say instead of going through pages and pages of old stuff? I only saw your post because I skipped ahead to the last post once I realized that some abuser of the search function had revived ancient history. 2006 is ancient history in travel news.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Originally Posted by exerda
Advance apologies for resurrecting an old thread... didn't see a newer one easily in search.

4/14/08, the TSA was doing gate screening at LAX.

Went to board UA 1190, LAX-DEN, and saw three TSA staffers sitting in the waiting area next to the podium.

"Uh-oh," I thought. I absolutely could not do a gate screening: (1) I had a tight connection in DEN (38 minutes); (2) the flight was totally full; (3) the seats I had have lessened overhead space which fills rapidly (and I couldn't afford to stow bags somewhere far from my seat--I needed to be able to deplane rapidly at DEN).

One TSA guy--a supervisor--stood at the gate with a clipboard he was making notes on, and apparently was choosing who to subject to the gate grope.

They snagged someone in the F/1K/UGS line (not the first pax--that "random" element seems to have gone away). The guy was NOT pleased, and the TSA was taking their sweet time going through his bags and wanding and patting him down.

The Ma and Pa Kettles ahead of me in the boarding line (zone 3 pax who showed up when they called zone 1 to board, and clearly who were not very frequent travelers) were incredulous. "Didn't they already screen us?" the woman demanded. I replied that it was a waste of time and incredible stupidity, to which she agreed.

I managed to make it past the supervisor without drawing his notice (it may have helped that they were still groping down the first selectee) and boarded. Saw him come on board several (10+) minutes later, not a happy camper.

TSA.
Gate screening really has never gone away completely. I see it primarily at FL based airports on flights to Caribbean for whatever reason they deem necessary.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:47 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by peachfront
What's the value of reviving a tangentially relevant thread from 2006? Why not start a new thread about what you observed happening today, so that if anyone is interested they can actually read what you have to say instead of going through pages and pages of old stuff? I only saw your post because I skipped ahead to the last post once I realized that some abuser of the search function had revived ancient history. 2006 is ancient history in travel news.
For me, I usually skip to the end of the thread if it's one I've already read or is very long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.